Return bus from Pompeii back to Naples

acrane

We've decided to take a taxi from Naples to Pompeii, because the train sounds unpleasant and the bus doesn't leave at a convenient time for the tour we scheduled, but we'd need more like 3 hours at the site instead of 2. I know we can negotiate for more time, but I want to be prepared to just take the bus back if we don't like the taxi driver's terms, or if god forbid they stiff us and don't come back. My parents had that experience once.

I've looked up where the bus stop near Pompeii is located, but it sounds like you can't buy tickets there. You would have had to buy a round trip ticket at the station near the port? Can anyone advise on how to take the bus one way from Pompeii to Naples, or suggest a better plan here? Thank you.

You can buy tickets at any retailer in Pompei, but that may not be near the stop.  Newsstand and tobacco shops carry them. 

According to the Sita website, there is a retailer right near the Porta Marina (main) entrance to the ruins:  

POMPEI TOUR ORGANIZER S.R.L.

Via VILLA DEI MISTERI, 1 I PIANO POMPEI

To be on the safe side, you could ask your taxi driver to stop at the depot in the morning so you can buy them, it would only take a minute and you'd be driving past it to get out of the port area anyway.

The ticket you'd need is the NA3 Aziendale, 3,30 euro.  Be sure to validate the ticket in the stamping machine on the bus as soon as you board.