Flight logistics

I received airfare confirmation for my cruise and I am happy with the flights!  I do have a question about the logistics as I have only ever flown direct flights overseas. Our flight travels from the Midwest to Chicago, then Toronto, then Athens. Our layover in Chicago is an hour and 20 minutes and in Toronto is 2 and a half hours. Do we need to do anything with luggage or international customs at the Chicago or Toronto airports?  I’m hoping especially in Chicago we just go directly from one gate to the next, but I’m not sure since the next flight will be out of the country. And then in Toronto do we have to go through Canadian customs before boarding the next flight to Athens? Thank you!

47 minutes ago, doolfan said:

I received airfare confirmation for my cruise and I am happy with the flights!  I do have a question about the logistics as I have only ever flown direct flights overseas. Our flight travels from the Midwest to Chicago, then Toronto, then Athens. Our layover in Chicago is an hour and 20 minutes and in Toronto is 2 and a half hours. Do we need to do anything with luggage or international customs at the Chicago or Toronto airports?  I’m hoping especially in Chicago we just go directly from one gate to the next, but I’m not sure since the next flight will be out of the country. And then in Toronto do we have to go through Canadian customs before boarding the next flight to Athens? Thank you!

This is assuming that you are booked on one airline (or alliance) for the entire trip.  

If so, your home airport in the US should be able to check your luggage all the way to Athens.

Therefore you will not need to pickup your baggage until you get to Athens.

You will do nothing in Chicago other than move from arrival gate to the departing gate.

In Toronto however, you will need to go through Canadian customs, even though you are not planning to leave the airport.  (Keep in mind, the authorities cannot "rely" upon that).

But again, all you will need to do is go through Canadian customs and then proceed to your departing gate for Athens.  

Have fun!

Your return trip may be a little more of an issue, so be prepared.  You will need to go through US immigration/customs at your first point of entry into the US. Which means you will need to collect your luggage at some point, then re-check it if you have another flight. How that process works depends on the airport - usually it's just a matter of taking your checked bags to a nearby location and  dropping them off, then proceeding through customs/immigration/security with your carry-ons to your next flight.

And if you have TSA pre-check or Global Entry, it doesn't work outside the US - so pack accordingly, since you will most likely need to take tablets/phones/laptops - sometimes cameras - out of your carryon. And remove your shoes, belt, watch... But Global Entry is wonderful when you arrive back home!

45 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

This is assuming that you are booked on one airline (or alliance) for the entire trip.  

If so, your home airport in the US should be able to check your luggage all the way to Athens.

Therefore you will not need to pickup your baggage until you get to Athens.

You will do nothing in Chicago other than move from arrival gate to the departing gate.

In Toronto however, you will need to go through Canadian customs, even though you are not planning to leave the airport.  (Keep in mind, the authorities cannot "rely" upon that).

But again, all you will need to do is go through Canadian customs and then proceed to your departing gate for Athens.  

Have fun!

You will also have to show your passport on 1st flight check in, since your final destination is outside the US.  Also for each remaining flight as they will end up in a different country.

10 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Your return trip may be a little more of an issue, so be prepared.  You will need to go through US immigration/customs at your first point of entry into the US. Which means you will need to collect your luggage at some point, then re-check it if you have another flight

In fact, if their return is exactly the opposite, you will actually pass through US customs in the Toronto airport.  

I live in Chicago and have flown to Toronto many times over the years.  You actually go through US customs at Pearson International Airport and are then do not pass through any more US customs once back at the US airports.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!  Coming home we have booked our own flights since we’ll be staying in Europe a few more weeks after our cruise. We’re using Iceland air  and flying from London to Iceland for a 2 day stay and then Iceland to nyc. We fly into jfk and then the next day have a direct flight booked home on Southwest from LaGuardia. Not worried about coming home since we’ll have overnight stays, I was just concerned about what we would need to do in both Chicago and Toronto on the way there!

The Canadian "customs" should have a line for people not leaving the airport.  If you look at your flight for a closer date you should be able to see  your gates to get a feel for the distances.  Just remember the gate today does not mean it will be the same in 6 months.

Canadian customs for me has always been interesting, they always seem to be very suspicious even though I am just catching a flight to Europe.  One time coming back we were just staying at a hotel near the airport due to flight times.  The person from Customs wanted to know why we did not plan to go out at all.  We explained we were just going to crash and probably order in some food.

Going out and not leaving the airport they  still asked a lot of questions.

Just my 2 cents.