Veendam review

Rabbitlady

March 18th-24th

Overall a great cruise although I loved the Westerdam and the Ryndam better ! Here's a brief review-

Embarkation- Waited a little; there was a health inspection onboard/don't know if this had anything to do with it. According to the cruise director the ship scored a 98.

Cabin- Wonderful/ very comfy/ What a great value HAL gives passengers!

Ship- overall very clean and sparkling

Activities- good; the staff seemed a little unprepared for some of the events. Two of them in particular didn't seem as friendly but they were changing out some of their crew this trip.

Service- good but not as good as Ryndam and Westerdam... here I go again but this HAL ship just wasn't as good. My mother-in-law who went on the Westerdam with us felt the same.

Dining Room- We eat in the dining room as much as possible(that didn't sound too good).Food was good and I enjoyed many items but as compared to the above ships not as good. Our poor waiter had 30 passengers to wait on. He was nice and efficient but just not as personable..... that's me being picky.......how could he be more personable... he didn't have time to. He worked so hard. We didn't find the breakfast/lunch staff there as friendly as our past experiences with HAL.

Cruise director- He seemed okay/ I have heard many reports about him as being not so great but he just isn't the smiley type. Some nice passengers asked him to add more crafts to the program and he did just that. I thought that was great that he listened to passengers.

Fellow passengers- so much fun! We had a great time with many of them at some of the activities. They cheered on other passengers during events and had a great time!

Shows- due to various reasons I wasn't able to attend all of them but the Bruce show was funny. He even had a rabbit, Skippy who came to the mike to start the show.

THe Ride- Well, I was remarking to my husband that it was the smoothest ride I had ever had and then the last day hit. We had rough seas with gale force winds. The ocean is always in motion! There was nothing the captain could do about it and others we spoke to said they had been in worse. However, we heard that many were seasick. I was so glad it was the last day of the trip and not our first day were we could of been seasick for a few days.

I thought we got a great value for our money and we liked sailing out of Tampa.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask! Since in-room dining and the dining room are no longer available to me, I must now figure out what to make for dinner. :eek:

Rabbitlady:)

Which seating did you have? We were on the 3/11 Veendam cruise and had the last (8:30) seating. Service was prompt and friendly. Our servers (Wiwit & Quadrullah) did not seem at all rushed and even had time to talk and pose math puzzles for the kids.

Thanks for the review.

We are packing now for our 4/1 departure!

Did you eat in the Pinnacle? Was that a good experience if you did?

Where was your cabin? There was a problem on "A" deck, where you aware of that?

Did you do any of your own laundry? If so, I understand that they supply detergent, do they supply fabric softener or dryer sheets.

Tell more about the rough weather!!! I'm hoping for a smooth sailing. How high were the waves?

Everyone has a different experience.. that's why the boards are so helpful.

We had the early seating- 5:45 pm. Our waiter didn't ask our names(although he probably has them anyway) until the 3rd night and then learned who was who as far as relationships- mother-in-law, etc. The first night he quickly told us his name and I don't remember why we didn't tell him ours but I think he just started talking about something else or maybe he left as he handed us the menus. He was still very nice but as I said he had about 30 people to wait on- quite a few large tables.

When we go to the Caribbean, we don't tend to do any excursions anymore; we just go to relax and enjoy the ship.

If Veendam dining room service wasn't up to HAL's standards, i can't wait to try the other ships! We returned the day you boarded, and I found the service to be very swift and exacting. Loved the whole experience, the passengers, food, excursions etc. I think knowing some cruise critics helped, too, but did meet lots of other people I enjoyed.

Veendam leaves from the Tampa port. We have cruised out of there 2 other times from the pier near the Aquarium. Is the HAL pier the same one?

Our flight home doesn't leave until 4pm. We don't have to leave for the airport until 1:30 or so. How long can we stay on the ship? How long do they allow you to stay in your cabin?

Thanks!

Lesley,

The Veendam leaves from pier #6 just north of the aquarium, at least that's where we have always seen her and other HAL ships. The three piers are close together, #3 (I've seen RC ships there.) is just along the east side of the parking lot for the aquarium and pier #2 (mostly Carnival) is along side the aquarium to the west with the ships docked there running along the southern edge of the childrens play area of the aquarium.

Maybe we'll see you on board, check the Roll Call. :cool:

Veendam leaves from the Tampa port. We have cruised out of there 2 other times from the pier near the Aquarium. Is the HAL pier the same one?

Our flight home doesn't leave until 4pm. We don't have to leave for the airport until 1:30 or so. How long can we stay on the ship? How long do they allow you to stay in your cabin?

Thanks!

We asked to disembark at 9:30 from the veendam but at 6:30 am they were calling people to immigration and at 7:30 the exodus began our number was called at 8:15. We were in the airport by 9:25 which did not help because our flight was more than 4 hours away so we could not check our bags!

We tried the standby route.

I have heard channelside is wonderful to see. It was very quiet in downtown tampa if you can do something with your luggage go out and tour!

Otherwise bring a book...the one you did not read on the cruise because you were having too much fun meeting and greeting and eating with other pax.

Linda and Pete

Question responses-

We didn't try the Pinnacle.

We were on the Main deck and we were unaware of the huge A deck problem but my husband didn't notice some wet carpets.

No, we didn't do laundry.

The whole sailing except for the last day was very smooth. The last day the waves were 7.5 to 12 ft. which is considered rough and we had 39 mph gale force winds(a cold front happened to be moving in).

I don't know how late you can stay in your cabin but on the morning of... our number was called an hour ahead of schedule. The schedule is just a guideline.

Flashdog- I am glad you had such excellent service. I guess it just depends on who you get and how many tables they have. Ours had some large tables and I think I counted 30 people. While I am not a very picky person and hate to even bother them, they never would check when you ordered beef to make sure it was even close to how you wanted it. I am not very picky but too far off of what I ordered is not okay. As I said, it was also until the 3rd day before he asked our names. I still thought he was friendly and was efficient bringing out each course it's just that I thought the Westerdam had excellent service- every time we went for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Every waiter treated us as if he was our very own waiter all the time.

I am curious: Why would anyone do laundry on a 7 day cruise?

That would be me.....

1) To bring home clean clothes.

2) I have nothing better to do.

3) To pack lighter, I've paid over weight charges 2 too many times.

Can't think of any other reasons at the moment.

I, too, did not use the laundry room, but intended to, having brought enough quarters. If you have a pre or post cruise stay, you may need to do it. Or you may spill something on a piece of clothing you intended to use later in the cruise. I think it is wonderful that they have the laundry rooms. I'm used to Celebrity which does not have them on any ship, and on a long voyage you could sure use it. Everyone has different reasons for using the laundry room. If I'm not flying I overpack and don't need it. If I fly, I may need it etc.

I was on the March 18 cruise and also had an excellent time. Luckily

I wasn't on A Deck and had no flooding. One night our carpet was damp

outside the bathroom near the door of our cabin for no apparent reason.

This only occurred one time and I reported it to our cabin steward. My wife enjoyed her facial and her yoga in the morning. I enjoyed going

to Grand Cayman and touring the Turtle Farm and of course, visiting

the town of Hell and mailing postcards to friends with Hell as a postmark.

Montego Bay was ok, but I like Och Rios better. I was pleasantly surprised

by Costa Maya. I wasn't impressed by the area near the dock, but I did enjoy the little fishing village about 3 miles away. There were some

good deals for purchase and my wife was able to get a good massage on the beach for $20.00 plus a small tip for a 40 minute massage. I would

use the Veendam again. Don't expect to find many party animals on this cruise, but if you want a nice relaxing time, the Veendam is your ship.

ProfessorHurst if you're out there, I'm glad you finished grading your essays.

Thank you all for your comments. We cruised on the "Veendam" for the third time this past Christmas. We even got a wonderful present and were upgraded from our verandah cabin to an S class Suite. Merry Christmas.:D

When on board then I met the gentleman who was in charge of some of the upgrades to the ship.

1. How does the Crow's Nest look now?

2. How's the new pool deck?

3. Does the Lido run smoother with the new stations idea?

4. Did anyone go to a cooking show in the new Culinary theatre?

5. How was the wine area?

6. Like the new flat screen TV s'?

They had redone the beds and bedding when we were on and it was so comfy. We might get to tour the Ryndam before she leaves and get to see all the upgrades then.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thank you all for your comments. We cruised on the "Veendam" for the third time this past Christmas. We even got a wonderful present and were upgraded from our verandah cabin to an S class Suite. Merry Christmas.:D

When on board then I met the gentleman who was in charge of some of the upgrades to the ship.

1. How does the Crow's Nest look now?

2. How's the new pool deck?

3. Does the Lido run smoother with the new stations idea?

4. Did anyone go to a cooking show in the new Culinary theatre?

5. How was the wine area?

6. Like the new flat screen TV s'?

They had redone the beds and bedding when we were on and it was so comfy. We might get to tour the Ryndam before she leaves and get to see all the upgrades then.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, We are leaving on the Veendam tomorrow. IF your questions aren't answered I'll try to answer them when we get back.

I was on the Veendam 3-11 to 3-18

and no there was no sewage or wet floor problems

I posted this earlier on another site.

icon1.gifCooking class is great

I promised myself that I would do more than play bingo on this cruise. DW and I attended the free culinary demo. The chief chief and an assistant go thru some of the things that they do in the kitchen.

It's held in the theater and it was standing room only. They went over the amount of food stuffs consummed by the guests and crew and demonstrated some new things. It lasted about 45 minutes.

There was also a tour below decks of the cooking facilities.

The culinary class that is new after the SOE upgrades and set in the theater as well. This was offered on the two sea days and the afternoon that the ship was in Costa Maya. The Pinnical Chief chef was the instructor - the class lasted many 90 minutes and cost $29. It's limited to about 12 people.

WHEN YOU BOARD GO DIRECTLY TO THE SHIPS OFFICE AND SIGN UP. There is a lot of confusion on this even with ship personnel.

They gave you an apron and chef hat to put on and keep. We prepared a Mango spach ( a cold soup), a Talapada ? in Venezulan sauce ( a fish in a red tomato sauce) and crepes with chocolate covering them.

You make enough for the entire class and then eat it. It was gooood! :p

I would never put some of the ingredents in my own cooking but not to look dumb I tried it - I was glad I did. The chef pointed out how the mango spach would change flavor when chilled. He had us try the stuff warm and then later after being in the fridge for 30 minutes - what a diffenence - a completely new flavoring.

The chef was able to give individual attention to each person attending and kept humoring us thru out. If not for his help I would have never gotten the art of crepe making.

They offered the same class on Monday as the afternoon in Costa Maya - the second sea day had a different class. As I recall they make a volcano cake.

The other class I attended was a mixology class in the crows nest. They have this on afternoons at sea as well. The cost was $7.50. You just go to the crows nest and have a seat.

The bartender shows you how to make three drinks and then you drink them. Three very good drinks:D . The first was a lemon smooth ?, the second was grapefruit cosmo, and the third was something with cucumbers in it. They hand out ingredients list in the cooking class and have not gotten to this point in the mixology class. They should - by the third drink I couldn't remember what was in the first.

My wife keeps asking when I will make the crapes. I'm still trying to recall the process for a grapefruit cosmo. :cool:

J

Thank you for the info so far. Got a call from the TA today and am doing a tour of the "Ryndam" here in Tampa on Sunday.:) So I guess I'll get to see the new refurbs up close and personnel. Cool...:cool:

Jeff

Hey J.

Just to let you know...wife liked that drink. They had it as a drink of the day. It actually tasted good. But then again...I like cucumbers. Very refreshing. Wish I had kept the formula. Here in Tampa it would be a neat drink around the pool in the summer when entertaining.;)

J...thanks for the review.

Jeff

Archived