What Miami Hotels Have Accessible Room w/ Lowered Bed Heights (ADA)

So, I never thought this would be something I would come to need to know when making travel plans. My pre-cruise hotel experience a few months ago made it clear that in the future I will probably need to be reserving accessible hotel rooms; I've never had to do this before.

Why? I had extreme difficulty getting into the bed! The trend is to make mattresses thicker and thicker, including those in hotel rooms.

Due to progressive spinal stenosis which causes a person to become shorter in height from the compression of vertebrae, this already short person (5 ft) is now even shorter, by 2 inches. Yes, I'm now only 4' 10" .... and I finally stopped arguing with the doctors' office about my shrinking height.

So, do any of you have specific "good" experience booking a mobility accessible hotel room near MIA .... that has ADA shorter bed heights? We've just booked our next cruise out of Miami and starting to look at pre-cruise hotels. I know this sounds crazy! But I've already called one hotel and was told all their beds are the same. I'm not sure that was true. But I'm hoping someone else out there has found a workable solution with specific hotels.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hopefully this will help you.

In January we had the complete opposite experience. We are both rather tall i am almost 5' 10" and my dh is taller. We booked a precruise hotel with Marriott. Bed was soooo low to the ground bc it was a thin mattress on a platform. We left hotel went 20 minutes away (we had our car, cruise was in galveston) to a different brand but still a Marriott, checked in and 😡 platform bed AGAIN.

didn't leave as this was second time we'd paid, 1st refused to refund money.

>>> 2nd Marriott said.... ALL Marriott now have low platform  beds

So Marriott is a never again for us.

• Like 1

I’m not sure if this would help, but I have to travel with this for the same reason. 

https://a.co/d/irkLWUh

I had back surgery a few years ago, and now I can’t ‘climb’ into beds. It only weighs 2 pounds and folds completely flat. 

On 5/4/2024 at 1:28 PM, newcruzer2 said:

>>> 2nd Marriott said.... ALL Marriott now have low platform  beds

This is good to know. I'll check on those, and if I find one that looks like it will work, I'll call them directly to ask about the beds. Thanks so much for the info. This is something I just never had to deal with. I also had both knees replaced a bit over 3 years ago, so that doesn't help either. I'm very wary of putting pressure on them still!

On 5/5/2024 at 4:06 PM, KP@Sea said:

https://a.co/d/irkLWUh

I had back surgery a few years ago, and now I can’t ‘climb’ into beds. It only weighs 2 pounds and folds completely flat. 

I was wondering if one of these folding stools would work. I may get one to just keep in my suitcase for travel. I have 2 sturdy footstools here at home that I use. I would never have thought 2" would make such a difference. I mean I've been 5 ft all my life until a few years ago. When the doctors' offices started telling me shorter heights, I argued until about a year ago. After measuring my height myself.....they were right. Still don't like it!