Cash or Card in Canada

I am sure that this has been discussed somewhere on CC before but I was not able to find it. I am cruising out of Vancouver in 2 weeks for the 1st time  and was wondering if it's better to have cash on hand or just use my card? I have a couple 100 CAD on hand already but was wondering about it since I'll be in Vancouver long enough to possibly use my card also. If it's better to have more cash on hand I can get more this week versus using my card in Canada and having my bank do the exchange on the purchases I make there. 

33 minutes ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

I am sure that this has been discussed somewhere on CC before but I was not able to find it. I am cruising out of Vancouver in 2 weeks for the 1st time  and was wondering if it's better to have cash on hand or just use my card? I have a couple 100 CAD on hand already but was wondering about it since I'll be in Vancouver long enough to possibly use my card also. If it's better to have more cash on hand I can get more this week versus using my card in Canada and having my bank do the exchange on the purchases I make there. 

I am Canadian.  We use credit cards, Apple Pay, debit. Cash is also accepted but I would not worry. The only thing is Amex is not accepted everywhere so make sure to have a Visa or Mastercard if you are bringing an Amex card. Our cards usually allow tap without a pin for under 200-300.00. It depends on your bank. Larger amounts you will need a pin. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I’ve been to Vancouver a few times in the past couple of years. No need for cash, I used Apple Pay most times. The only time I’ve needed cash in Canada in recent memory was on the other side of the country for St. Viteaur bagels in Montreal 🙂  

Also, when the prompt asks if you want to pay in USD or CAD- always choose the local currency! Your bank will give you a much more favorable rate. 

Edited by psuboater

Unless you've booked a private guide who insists on cash, a few bucks for cash tips to hotel bellstaff and the like is the only thing most tourists need physical money for. We may actually have more 'no cash' than 'cash only' restos downtown these days! I can think of a few spots that are Interac (Canadian Debit) and Cash only - so for tourists from outside Canada de facto cash places - but they're cheap so $200 is already ample!!!