Where to buy tickets to Vatican?

Eli_6

Hello, I am taking a tour with Rome in Limo.  The link they provided me to buy tickets to The Vatican does not work. I asked for another and it still doesn't work. Does anyone know of the official vatican website where I can buy tickets?  When I google, it takes me to a bunch of third-party websites. 

Alternatively, can I buy them on the day of?  I did that when we were there before, but it was in 2007 so things have obviously changed. 

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Hello, I am taking a tour with Rome in Limo.  The link they provided me to buy tickets to The Vatican does not work. I asked for another and it still doesn't work. Does anyone know of the official vatican website where I can buy tickets?  When I google, it takes me to a bunch of third-party websites. 

Alternatively, can I buy them on the day of?  I did that when we were there before, but it was in 2007 so things have obviously changed. 

museivaticani.va is the real one.

You could stand in line for hours to buy tickets. Do it online. They are available two months ahead of time. 

@marazul Thank you for your response. The booking portion (at least on my computer) is in Italian even when I select English.  Do you know what I book to see the main cathedral, underneath where St. Peter is buried, and to see the Sistine Chapel?

Posted (edited)

The link above is for the Vatican museums, which include the Sistine Chapel.

There is nothing to book for the basilica (St. Peter's).

The scavi where St. Peter's remains are believed to be is done by reservation through this office:  Reservations (scavi.va)

If you get the scavi tour, it ends in the necropolis under the basilica.  From there you can go upstairs into the basilica itself.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

The link above is for the Vatican museums, which include the Sistine Chapel.

There is nothing to book for the basilica (St. Peter's).

The scavi where St. Peter's remains are believed to be is done by reservation through this office:  Reservations (scavi.va)

If you get the scavi tour, it ends in the necropolis under the basilica.  From there you can go upstairs into the basilica itself.

Thanks for the info.

There were hardly any tours left still available for four people but I did find one for four people at 1 pm (13:00) that goes to the Sistine Chapel.

I remember getting a feeling (spiritual) when we visited Pope John Paul's remains in the crypt in 2007.  However, if we don't go again, I can live with it.  My children (10 and 11) are probably a little young to really understand it anyway. 

We bought ours through Get Your Guide. However, I made the mistake and didn't get ones that also included skip the line for the basilica, so we didn't get to see that. But, we got to the museum right at 10 a.m. for our ticket time, and we were able to walk right in. When we left around 12:30, the line to get in was down the block, around the building!

Be aware, going at that time, it will take you about 2 hours to get to the Sistine Chapel. Literally, the entire crowd of people are going there. It's not like you can really just walk through things. It basically felt like swimming in the ocean. LOL! No control on where the tide takes you.