Alcohol Tax on AK Cruise

I tried search and couldn’t pinpoint an answer.  When on a NCL cruise, Vancouver to Seward and reverse, via Canadian Inside passage, when are you charged tax on alcohol…and how much?

We have purchased the FAS+ drink package and I want to be aware of where my higher priced drinks are incurring tax.  Also, if you’re in an area where you are being taxed, are you taxed on the “free” bottle of wine you get with your Platinum dinner.

If you are charged a tax it would be while at port.  I'm not sure if taxes are charged at Alaskan ports though.  I had posted before that there was and was shot down by other posters.  I do know that you will be charged taxes in Florida ports but I don't think that helps you much.

I haven’t done Vancouver to Seward but I did Seattle round trip in 2021 and was only charged taxes in Seattle. And I had specialty dining right after sail away and was not charged taxes on drinks or food in Los Lobos. 

18 minutes ago, lepidoptera said:

I haven’t done Vancouver to Seward but I did Seattle round trip in 2021 and was only charged taxes in Seattle. And I had specialty dining right after sail away and was not charged taxes on drinks or food in Los Lobos. 

Thanks.  I think out of Vancouver we sail in Canadian waters…which it dawned on me that we may have drink tax.  If so, it takes a little of my planned fun away.  We’re dining in LeBistro first night and I had planned on getting the most out of FAS+ with Veuve.  🍾🥲🤣

You will be charged tax while in Vancouver.  Alaska does not have a state sales tax, though some municipalities do, including some cruise ports, but I have not heard that they require that it be charged on the ship.

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

You will be charged tax while in Vancouver.  Alaska does not have a state sales tax, though some municipalities do, including some cruise ports, but I have not heard that they require that it be charged on the ship.

Thanks.  If I understand you correctly, after leaving Vancouver and going through the Canadian inside passage we wouldn’t be charged tax.

4 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Thanks.  If I understand you correctly, after leaving Vancouver and going through the Canadian inside passage we wouldn’t be charged tax.

I don't think you will be charged tax while in the Inside Passage, either.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I tried search and couldn’t pinpoint an answer.  When on a NCL cruise, Vancouver to Seward and reverse, via Canadian Inside passage, when are you charged tax on alcohol…and how much?

We have purchased the FAS+ drink package and I want to be aware of where my higher priced drinks are incurring tax.  Also, if you’re in an area where you are being taxed, are you taxed on the “free” bottle of wine you get with your Platinum dinner.

You are only charged tax while in Washington state waters. 

That being said, it takes a long time when leaving Seattle to get out of Washington state waters (well into the evening when you’re paying their tax). On return to Seattle, you will enter WA state waters in the afternoon and remain there for the rest of your cruise. 

There is no tax on the free platinum wine. 

There is no tax on Alaskan waters.