Thinking out loud, a little help please.

I have an upcoming cruise which is comped.  I just have to pay the port charges and fees.  Can I take a policy out for $500pp solely for the medical in case of an expensive medical emergency?   Running this back in reverse, (I'm learning here)  Can I take out a policy for $500pp just for the medical even if my trip was expensive in which I know I would absorb the trip cost in case of cancellation?  

22 minutes ago, KyleClark said:

I have an upcoming cruise which is comped.  I just have to pay the port charges and fees.  Can I take a policy out for $500pp solely for the medical in case of an expensive medical emergency?   Running this back in reverse, (I'm learning here)  Can I take out a policy for $500pp just for the medical even if my trip was expensive in which I know I would absorb the trip cost in case of cancellation?  

Generally speaking you can take out medical insurance by itself, medical and trip cancellation/interruption together, or trip cancellation/interruption by itself.

In my experience the value of the trip is for cancellation / interruption insurance, not the medical portion.

I would contact the insurance companies that you are thinking of and ask for just medical.

Remember that pre-existing conditions may or may not be covered for medical.

In the future, you might want to use a Title/Header that helps the reader know a bit about what your question involves.

Something like, "Comped cruise, medical insurance only??" or such.

That way, you are likely to get more of the knowledgeable eyes to read your query.

GC

11 hours ago, KyleClark said:

That's how I do it. Then again, my State allows this. YMMV depending on the regulations set forth in "Soprano Land".

I also choose to risk the cancellation, etc. I do choose the trip cost at $500. If I run into a Trip Delay or a Trip Interruption situation (which I have), then I am covered up to 150% of trip cost. Thats enough to pick up a hotel, uber, and a few meals while we wait for our next available flight.

• Thanks 1

If you are only interested in the medical and are willing to absorb the costs of the few non-refundable charges that you seem to have, then you might take a look at GeoBlue.  They are solely for travel health insurance and many of their policies include coverage for pre-existing conditions and do so for insurance purchases pretty close to the departure date.  I purchased GeoBlue coverage for trips when I was a few years younger and only wanted medical coverage.  I purchased through tripinsurancestore.com which many Cruise Critic members use.

• Like 1