Palma - Son Amar

Hi. I’ve booked the Son Amar Flamenco show through the ship for our Celebrity Equinox cruise starting in one week. But I’m having last minute thoughts about whether to use so much of our day on Palma with this

Has anyone done this excursion lately?  Or seen a show there?

Wondering if our time would be better spent touring Palma City or maybe visiting Valdemossa….

@scotlady

Do anything else.  Tour Palma, it is amazing. If you can also add Valldemosa, even better.

Flamenco is not typical of this region, especially not of Mallorca.  It is performed in the south of Spain (Andalusia).  This will be strictly a show for foreign tourists who do not know any better.  Mallorca is beautiful. Enjoy the island.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, marazul said:

@scotlady

Do anything else.  Tour Palma, it is amazing. If you can also add Valldemosa, even better.

Flamenco is not typical of this region, especially not of Mallorca.  It is performed in the south of Spain (Andalusia).  This will be strictly a show for foreign tourists who do not know any better.  Mallorca is beautiful. Enjoy the island.

Thanks for the honest opinion!  Both Valldemossa and the train to Soller look interesting. We are really into history, architecture and  just wandering pretty squares. Shopping is not a priority. Which would you recommend?

I strongly agree about Flamenco is not typical in Mallorca (so it would be the same as arriving to Rome and sitting for Flamenco)

I will be in Mallorca in a couple of months on a cruise call. I will go to Soller.

I have already been in Soller but only on the tramway, not in the train. This time I want the full journey

1 hour ago, scotlady said:

Thanks for the honest opinion!  Both Valldemossa and the train to Soller look interesting. We are really into history, architecture and  just wandering pretty squares. Shopping is not a priority. Which would you recommend?

For history and architecture stay in Palma. Visit the cathedral and the royal palace. Plus the rest of the old town. If you are on a long port day, you could also do a half day tour to Valldemosa and/or Soller. But don't miss Palma. The whole island is beautiful. 

16 minutes ago, marazul said:

For history and architecture stay in Palma. Visit the cathedral and the royal palace. Plus the rest of the old town. If you are on a long port day, you could also do a half day tour to Valldemosa and/or Soller. But don't miss Palma. The whole island is beautiful. 

Thank you so much for the helpful advice!

It has depend on what you want to do at Mallorca island.

I have already stayed in Mallorca twice. First, a fast cruise day, second, for a whole week.... and several weeks more wouldn't be enough for all the island.

Surely everyone has the beach image at Mallorca. It has enough sandy beaches for those who just want a beach&sun destination for a week (or more)

But Palma has a lot of heritage for a whole day visit (and for more than a day). Despite all the beach and sun, it is a very interesting city.

Furthermore, Soller can be a full day destination with a historical train (and later a tramway). You will miss Palma but you will enjoy Mallorca mountains and another corner of the island.

Valldemossa.... you will need to book an excursion or rent a car. Do you already know F.Chopin was living there and some of his masterpieces where written there?

We will be 1st time visitors, arriving at 8 and leaving at 6....which means all aboard around 5.

After reading all the info on this port I am hesitant to book an excersion, as there would be very little time left to visit Palma.  But at the same time, the train to Soller sounds wonderful. 

I am wondering if we can buy our own round trip tickets for the train to Soller.     https://trendesoller.com/eng/index   

The 1010 to Soller and the 2pm train back to Palma.  This would give us a couple hours in Soller and then a couple hours back to enjoy Palma.   

Is this doable?  

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, itsanita said:

We will be 1st time visitors, arriving at 8 and leaving at 6....which means all aboard around 5.

After reading all the info on this port I am hesitant to book an excersion, as there would be very little time left to visit Palma.  But at the same time, the train to Soller sounds wonderful. 

I am wondering if we can buy our own round trip tickets for the train to Soller.     https://trendesoller.com/eng/index   

The 1010 to Soller and the 2pm train back to Palma.  This would give us a couple hours in Soller and then a couple hours back to enjoy Palma.   

Is this doable?  

Yes, but it is very tight in Palma. The train gets back at 3. You would have more time in Palma if you took a bus or taxi back around 1 pm. Or if you took a bus or taxi to Soller at 9 or earlier and took the 12:15 train back to Palma. There is no benefit in doing the train round trip. Take a look at the "pinned" thread on Mallorca at the top of this forum.

Edited by marazul

2 minutes ago, marazul said:

Yes, but it is very tight in Palma. The train gets back at 3. You would have more time in Palma if you took a bus or taxi back around 1 pm. Or if you took a bus or taxi to Soller at 9 or earlier and took the 12:15 train back to Palma. There is no benefit in doing the train round trip. Take a look at the "pinned" thread on Mallorca at the top of this forum.

Thanks, did not think of just doing the train one way.   That way we could head to Soller when we get off the ship, returning on the 12:15 train.  Lots more time in Palma that way.  

When I checked the website for the train, it will only take reservationns 7 days in advance.   My concern now is it will be sold out way before that with a cruise ship in port.   

I will check out the thread you suggested.  

2 hours ago, itsanita said:

Is this doable?  

I will have that excursion on my own by the end of June indeed

I was in Soller tramway some years ago but sill hasn't been in the train

I am planning to do it conversely. First a short walk on Palma (I will go with my brother who doesn't know Palma), later train to Soller

Remember ticket includes tramway too

Posted (edited)

Palma is a lovely compact, very walkable, city where you could happily spend a day.

I know the Soller area well - my nephew and his father originate from there. The train used to be the way that locals would get to/from Palma, often for work. Since the opening of the tunnel through the mountains, in the late 1990s, folk will now more generally travel by road. In consequence, the train is now much more of a tourist attraction than "locals lifeline". It's a pleasant journey through attractive scenery. 

Soller is a nice small Spanish town. Good for a bit of a wander about through it's pedestrianised streets, like the Calle de la Luna. The big tourist draw is the tram, which connects the town to seaside resort of Port de Soller. It dates to 1913 and the cars, still in use, were purchased in, I think, San Francisco (where they were being replaced with new models). The small resort is not particularly interesting - while family members do holiday there, i am not amongst them (preferring the Pollensa area on the northern coast). If you are going to get the tram to the Port, make sure you allow enough time for your return to town. The trams do get full, particularly in high season. Also, a family member noted on a trip last year that taxis, once plentiful, are now few and far between with drivers preferring the more lucrative journeys to the airport. 

Edited by Harters

On 5/10/2024 at 10:26 PM, itsanita said:

Thanks, did not think of just doing the train one way.   That way we could head to Soller when we get off the ship, returning on the 12:15 train.  Lots more time in Palma that way.  

When I checked the website for the train, it will only take reservationns 7 days in advance.   My concern now is it will be sold out way before that with a cruise ship in port.   

I will check out the thread you suggested.  

Hi , If you head For Port de Soller and do the trip the other way round you will be able to get the 12.15  train back to Palma .

https://trendesoller.com/eng/timetable     

Rogerb

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 1:45 PM, scotlady said:

We are really into history, architecture and  just wandering pretty squares.

Palma offers all of that and exploring some of the city would easily fill your day.

Have you looked at the "pinned thread" at the top of this forum?.  All things Palma.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2697012-palma-de-mallorca-diy-new/

and the visitpalma. com website for info and ideas is also a good starting point, also Tripadvisor and others.

Edited by edinburgher