Cabin mate no-show vs. cancelation

I will be on a Carnival Alaska cruise out of Seattle in a few weeks.  My father was set to come with me on my reservation, but unfortunately won't be able to make it.  This same thing happened several years ago on an RCL cruise, but we didn't cancel him off my reservation.  I just checked in as normal and then he "no-showed" on embarkation day.  Shortly thereafter, I was refunded his fees, taxes and I believe a portion of the cruise fare.  I've read through the Carnival cancelation policies but can't seem to find anything specifically addressing this situation.  Has anyone dealt with this on Carnival recently?  Would it be wiser to cancel him off the reservation ahead of time, or simply "no-show" at the port?  Thanks.

In February my friend no-showed.  They called him about an hour before all-aboard, he advised he couldn't make it.  They refunded his port fees and it was no big deal.

A few years ago my wife couldn't make a cruise due to having to go out of town on a family related issue, but encouraged me to go without her. Everything happened pretty much the way you describe it for Royal. They called her like MayorDrafty describes in the post above, she said she couldn't make it, they refunded her fees with no fuss.