Dazed and Confused

Molly BPOE

We are taking our first cruise on Victory in May. My cousin lives in the area and will be dropping us off as well as picking us up. If the ship sails at 4 pm and returns at 8 am, what time should we have her drop us off and pick us up? I have been reading reviews and from what I gather, embarkation and disembarkation are not going to be what I expected.:confused:

Any tips to move either of these processes along would be welcome.

She can drop you off around 11:30 [your embarkation may be a little later than that]....pick you up around 10:30. If your "color" is called before 10:30...you can stay on the ship until the time she's supposed to arrive. Or until they "throw you off".

I personally like to get to the ship as early as possible!!! You could go around 10:00am & you could end up sitting around for a little while or not. When we were boarding the Conquest we had to sit around for awhile because they were doing a special inspection, you just never know.

Leaving the ship I would take my time, get up & go to breakfast & let the masses get off the ship.

If you get to the terminal around 11am, you should be on the ship having lunch around noon.

IF the ship docks on time, they start letting self-debarkation passengers off around 7:30, I believe. I like staying on the ship as long as possible to avoid the throngs of folks trying to get off. I have a leisurely breakfast in the dining room, and then go up to Lido Deck for another cuppa coffee, and watch those scurrying around. I'm one of the last off the ship.

Anyhoo, it would be hard to tell your folks exactly what time to pick you up. Their best bet would be to park in the lot and go into the terminal to wait for you, OR they could drive around and around and around the pickup area outside the terminal until you appear.;)

Molly,

The 5/14 Victory will be my first cruise as well, but I am going with some family who has done this before. We're planning on being at port at 10:30am or so. And from what my family has told me, you can get off of the ship at your own leisure. We're carrying our own luggage on and off the ship.

There is a Roll Call for our cruise on the roll call board. You should join in on the conversation and maybe we can all meet up! :D

Hi Ashley

Be careful about carrying all of your luggage ON the ship. It has to go through a scanner and only the small "airline" carryon's will fit through there. I would tag them with the tags they send you and leave with a porter. You can carry them OFF with no problem. Maybe you travel much "lighter" than I do though.....:)

Sounds great! Now all I have to do is figure out how to get on the roll call boards:rolleyes:
Easy - scroll to the bottom of this page and select the appropriate rool call forum from the list (Carnival) - from there you just click until you get to the one you need.

As far as when to pick you up - set a basic time and then have them call you on your cell (if you have one) and then attempt to get off - or visa versa. Just make sure you don't say too early so they won't be waiting long.

Molly,

...... And from what my family has told me, you can get off of the ship at your own leisure. We're carrying our own luggage on and off the ship.

Ashely - If you will be doing self-debarkation, it won't be at your leisure. All passengers who choose this method of debarking will be the first off the ship.

Since you mentioned taking all your luggage onto the ship with you, they'd better be small bags. The x-ray scanner for carry-on luggage is only 11"x17". Why not just check them with the porters like most everybody else?:)

We may let the porters take our luggage when we get on..I'm not sure. My mother has some strong opinions about what we should do or not do and we usually just go ahead with whatever she says to avoid an argument. She's always one who will avoid using porters and bellhops, etc. just so she doesn't feel obligated to tip.

I may just let a porter snatch mine up and plead ignorance as I have no problem tipping for service and I'd rather just drop my bags and forget it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ashley,

I'm told the expected tip for a porter is only a buck or two per bag, and considering that my bag will most likely be a good bit bigger than 11x17, I may not have a choice. Regardless, even if the porter takes some of our bags, we'd still be able to board together, even if your mother wanted to keep all of her stuff with her, right?

I don't have a problem carrying my bag *off* the ship; actually I'd prefer that because the posts I've read about debarkation seem like a nightmare and lots of waiting and I'd rather just get off the boat as quickly as possible once we're back, instead of waiting outside the rooms for hours like I've read is possible.

-- Sky

Archived