Another live from Explora I departing LA 12th May

1 hour ago, RJ2002 said:

I am not so much of a champagne person, but looking online, Mercier is supposedly the most popular champagne in the French domestic market.

The thing I was disappointed with was the limited selection of vodkas.  From what I saw at the bars, Absolut is their 'well' vodka, and only Tito's and Grey Goose were on the shelf.  Thank goodness for the Grey Goose, at least.

Well, Shmirnoff is the "most popular" vodka in the world, but can you tell me it's even quaff-worthy? Sometimes "most popular" means "affordable by the masses".  

1 minute ago, Atllindo said:

Well, Shmirnoff is the "most popular" vodka in the world, but can you tell me it's even quaff-worthy? Sometimes "most popular" means "affordable by the masses".  

LOL.   Like most things consumed - beverages, food, etc. - it's a matter of personal preference.

• Like 1

I am delighted to say that service has resumed to its previous high standards, it appears that the staff have organised themselves well and are now taking paper orders for cooked to order food and providing buzzer type alarms so that you know when your order is ready in emporium. The staff are as delightful as always and really keen to please. 

Although the passenger levels have increased 50%, the numerous pools and outdoor spaces are coming into their own, so whilst I may no longer want to sit at the busy (loud) pool on deck 5, there are plenty of other areas that are a little quieter that I can escape to. My partner who cannot take the sun has managed to find little cabana’s to offer some shade which is good, the conservatory pool is just too humid for my liking. I still believe this line has a lot to offer and I would certainly travel with with them again albeit I may just consider carefully routes and length of each leg 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Sidney68 said:

I am delighted to say that service has resumed to its previous high standards, it appears that the staff have organised themselves well and are now taking paper orders for cooked to order food and providing buzzer type alarms so that you know when your order is ready in emporium. The staff are as delightful as always and really keen to please. 

Although the passenger levels have increased 50%, the numerous pools and outdoor spaces are coming into their own, so whilst I may no longer want to sit at the busy (loud) pool on deck 5, there are plenty of other areas that are a little quieter that I can escape to. My partner who cannot take the sun has managed to find little cabana’s to offer some shade which is good, the conservatory pool is just too humid for my liking. I still believe this line has a lot to offer and I would certainly travel with with them again albeit I may just consider carefully routes and length of each leg 

Fantastic thanks for your updates

Posted (edited)

I’m so glad to hear it’s improving. Please continue to keep us updated.

On another note, I also can’t be in the sun for long periods of time, but husband loves it. In their marketing brochures they have covers on the beds on deck 5 around the pool like picture below. I’ve never asked about it bc both of my trips have been in cold weather and sun has not been too much of an issue.  Do you know if the shades in the picture below are available?  I’ve never seen them up while onboard and like I said never needed them to ask after them .  image.thumb.png.5932a4029dce54e8095359a53684bd70.png

Edited by KJB416

5 minutes ago, KJB416 said:

On another note, I also can’t be in the sun for long periods of time, but husband loves it. In their marketing brochures they have covers on the beds on deck 5 around the pool like picture below. I’ve never asked about it bc both of my trips have been in cold weather and sun has not been too much of an issue.  Do you know if the shades in the picture below are available?  I’ve never seen them up while onboard and like I said never needed them to ask after them .  image.thumb.png.5932a4029dce54e8095359a53684bd70.png

I believe these shades were found to be no use in any breeze - a case of a hotel designer not understanding that the aft of the ship has a breeze, so the idea was scrapped 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KJB416 said:

They are certainly not used on this trip but I will enquire if they are ever used or available. On level 5 shade is restricted and my partner sits on one of the sofa’s next to the bar with his book which suits him well. There are “four poster”

type cabana’s with curtains on deck 11 but not directly by a pool if that is an issue. Lots of shady areas in the conservatory pool, it’s just too humid in there for our liking, with or without roof on. 

• Like 1

Uktog, it makes sense these shades would not be used while in route or high winds, but while in port could offer some protection possibly, but they must have found they are not functional? 

Regardless, I appreciate you asking about them Sidney68 since I am curious. My favorite place at that pool is the large round wicker chair on the port side where we’ve laid in the bright sun in 55F degree weather, enjoying no one else around and watching the ocean move.

agree the conservatory gets too humid in warmer weather. But, if Stephen, from South Africa is still there bartending, tell him I miss his French 75 and I appreciate him giving me a lesson on how to make it at home. 😉

• Like 2

I recall on previous posts a number of comments on the books in the room and a lack of a library on board. Obviously I can only speak for our suite but there is actually a fairly diverse range of books a number that do look as if they have been enjoyed. A couple of other guests I have spoken to have been reading books from their suite also, I will likely leave any of those I brought with me on the shelf provided they remain in a decent condition. To give you an indication of the type of books on offer;

trick of the dark - Val McDermidd

The man who saw everything- Deborah levy

the Waldorf Astoria bar book - Frank Caiafa

Fire and Fury - Michael Wolff 

36 hours world (travel book) the New York Times 

The Devils Star - Jo Nesbo

people power profits (business) Joseph Stieglitz 

troubled blood - Robert Galbraith 

the other side of the dale - Gervase Phinn

with nails - Richard E Grant 

giant of the senate - Al Franken

Isabelle in the Afternoon- Douglas Kennedy

women and power - Mary Beard

apologies for the lack of capital letters - I am writing this on my phone and it doesn’t want to play ball! 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, KJB416 said:

14 hours ago, uktog said:

I believe these shades were found to be no use in any breeze - a case of a hotel designer not understanding that the aft of the ship has a breeze, so the idea was scrapped 

14 hours ago, Sidney68 said:

They are certainly not used on this trip but I will enquire if they are ever used or available. On level 5 shade is restricted and my partner sits on one of the sofa’s next to the bar with his book which suits him well. There are “four poster”

type cabana’s with curtains on deck 11 but not directly by a pool if that is an issue. Lots of shady areas in the conservatory pool, it’s just too humid in there for our liking, with or without roof on. 

Sidney68:  Thanks so much for your live posts!  Greatly enjoyed .... I'm faaaaaaaaar too lazy to do them myself.

I chatted with an officer on our last cruise and Explora II will have much more shade and Explora I will get improvements upon her return to Europe.  I am assuming umbrellas and such.

I loved my two cruises on Explora and am presently recovering from PCSD - Post Celebrity Stress Disorder!  I just got off Apex 8 weeks after Explora and I don't think that my eye will ever stop twitching!

• Haha 3

On 5/25/2024 at 8:33 PM, RlyLvn said:

we are joining the ship in Miami on the 31st for the Transatlantic to Casablanca  I hope these undesirables get off in Miami and there isnt another load ready to board  Last I heard we will have 600 Passengers on that leg.

I doubt that even EJ would give "influencers" a free trip on a transatlantic cruise. My guess is that the uglies will disembark in Miami and the TA will be more peaceful. Fingers crossed for you. Let us know.

• Like 2