Excursion list

emckeeve

Does Viking have a list of excursions at each port once you book?  Oceania does that so you can start planning ahead.  When can to see the offered excursions on Viking before the booking date?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, emckeeve said:

Does Viking have a list of excursions at each port once you book?  Oceania does that so you can start planning ahead.  When can to see the offered excursions on Viking before the booking date?

Look at the day by day itinerary on the Viking website for the cruise and click on the port, you will see a list of excursions offered. Not all are available on all sailings and is subject to change, but it does allow you to do some planning.

Once you are booked at about 120 days out, the actual excursions will be available in MVJ for viewing.

Viking will also send you a PDF of excursions after your cabin class opens to book but IMO it is of no use since you need to book excursions as soon as your class opens. You need to prioritize what you want to see and book immediately as many popular optional excursions sell out quickly.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

I’ve been able to get a PDF of excursions early for my itinerary but not for my cruise date. It’s a guideline I use with pricing. Ask the chat agent for a PDF of excursions for an earlier cruise and tell them you understand that the excursions for your exact cruise might be different. I’ve done this for 4 cruises with only one agent confused. I just signed off and tried a different agent with success. 

I looked at the excursions.  Thank you for that.  But the ones that are "included" aren't the ones I'm interested it.  So we have to pay for the other ones?  This is so confusing!

The tours that say "INCLUDED" are no additional cost to you but still require reservations so that Viking knows how many buses and guides to line up. The tours that don't say "INCLUDED" are optional, paid tours. Generally, they require payment because Viking is buying your admission ticket, arranging for transportation, paying for food (depending on the excursion), etc. The cost usually ranges from about $50-$150 (USD), depending on the activity and whether any meals are included, but they can cost much more than that if it's a specialized activity like a helicopter tour.

You can look up Viator, Get Your Guide, and other private tour operators who offer the same or similar paid excursions, and they will often be cheaper even after factoring in your own transportation costs. But unless you find something significantly cheaper, I'd stick with Viking just to avoid the risk of getting left behind if something goes wrong and your return to the ship is delayed.

45 minutes ago, emckeeve said:

I looked at the excursions.  Thank you for that.  But the ones that are "included" aren't the ones I'm interested it.  So we have to pay for the other ones?  This is so confusing!

There are 'included' at no extra cost, and optional at the extra cost listed. 

The included are fairly basic, many don't bother with Viking and make their own arrangements 

KBs -  We have made our own arrangements many times and "knock on wood" have always been back at the appointed hour!  I'm thinking that's the way to go in this instance.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, emckeeve said:

KBs -  We have made our own arrangements many times and "knock on wood" have always been back at the appointed hour!  I'm thinking that's the way to go in this instance.

We only book via Viking if the location of whatever is difficult via local transport. 

The included bus tours are sometimes useful as one way transport. Just remember to tell the guide you are leaving the group. 

It's not advertised, but shuttle buses to the town centre are usually available at no extra charge, if it is not walkable from the port

Edited by KBs mum

We’re doing the TA from BCN to BA Oct. 18. Our excursion booking opens June 23 and actual excursions in MVJ were loaded last week (about six weeks in advance). I asked for a pdf of the excursions through the chat function in MVJ—no problem.

5 hours ago, emckeeve said:

Don't forget, included ones must still be signed up for. You need to pick a time slot. If you don't, then you might get stuck and have to wait until you're on the ship to be added to one. I'll tag you in my post that I made, it might be helpful.

18 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

We’re doing the TA from BCN to BA Oct. 18. Our excursion booking opens June 23 and actual excursions in MVJ were loaded last week (about six weeks in advance). I asked for a pdf of the excursions through the chat function in MVJ—no problem.

Were the prices included in the pdf you just loaded?

1 hour ago, emckeeve said:

Were the prices included in the pdf you just loaded?

Everything is showing the same as when you book in MVJ. It’s because it’s for this particular cruise. When they’re available for showing in MVJ, you can get the pdf for your cruise.

The excursion lists I received show prices, but the prices are for the specific cruise date they sent me. Since I ask for this list months in advance I often see price increases when my excursions are available for booking. 

On 5/14/2024 at 12:35 PM, RRTX2017 said:

The cost usually ranges from about $50-$150 (USD),

Not sure what cruise you have been on lately - but the minimum cost on our Mediterranean and Adriatic Sojourn was 69 (which was only a few), some in the 79-99 range and many over that. Even doing "on your own'' in some places were over the 69. I would plan for at least 100/excursion with some being over and some being under. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murt22 said:

Not sure what cruise you have been on lately - but the minimum cost on our Mediterranean and Adriatic Sojourn was 69 (which was only a few), some in the 79-99 range and many over that. Even doing "on your own'' in some places were over the 69. I would plan for at least 100/excursion with some being over and some being under. 

Totally agree. I said before that "on average" the price was $100/person.