Choosing Between 2 Alaska Itineraries

16 minutes ago, Nattyg1723 said:

My vote is for the Coral, she has way less passengers 🙂 

Also, not that it will be going on forever, but Sapphire has been having all those propulsion issues.

The one issue with the Coral is that there are not any aft suites which we love. That being said we do love the size of the ship and use it for certain itineraries like Panama Canal through the old locks 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 7:37 PM, BDevilCruiser said:

edit: to be clear, they’ve said it’s an electrical issue, not the actual shaft

Who is the man that would risk his neck for his brother man?
(Shaft)
Can you dig it?
Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
(Shaft)
Right on
What’s broken on the Sapphire Princess? 

On 5/14/2024 at 9:55 AM, DavidDSimon said:

Looking to do Alaska in Summer of 25 (me, wife and 15 year old twins).  Definitely want Glacier Bay so mostly coming down to two itineraries - one NB and one SB.  Here are the big differences:

NB College Fjord vs. SB Hubbard

NB Juneau from 8am-9pm vs SB 6:30 am - 4pm

NB Ketchikan from 6am - 2pm vs. SB 10am - 6pm

NB Glacier Bay 6am - 3pm vs SB 9:15 am - 7:30 pm

Skagway time is same on both

My instinct is that I prefer SB for Hubbard and better times in Ketchican/Glacier Bay but like the NB times in Juneau better.

We do want to do a few days on land I think I'd prefer to do before the cruise if that impacts whether NB and SB would be preferrable.

And both itineraries are on either Coral or Sapphire if anyone wants to throw in any recommendations between the two.

Thoughts????

I don’t know if this will help, but I have a Live From thread going on now with a bunch of photos. We are doing a B3B where the first leg was RT Vancouver, 2nd leg was Vancouver to Whittier, and the 3rd leg we are on now is from Whittier to Vancouver. But this is cruising in May where you’re more looking to go on a cruise in the summer. But you might get some excursion ideas once you look at some of the photos of the ones that we have gone on so far.

Posted (edited)

Last year, we did the NB and SB back-to-back.... My only comment regarding Hubbard vs, College Fjord is that the ship didn't get anywhere close to the Hubbard glacier. There was an excursion where folks boarded a smaller boat and cruised closer to the glacier, but it was a bit pricey ($300/person, if I remember correctly) and it will likely sell out if you don't book it early.

(For the record, we were on the Grand)

Edited by OccasionalSanta

On 5/16/2024 at 9:36 AM, Nattyg1723 said:

My vote is for the Coral, she has way less passengers 🙂 

Also, not that it will be going on forever, but Sapphire has been having all those propulsion issues.

Just in case you haven’t read the other thread on the Sapphire issues, they flew a team into Juneau and were able to fix the issue while at sea.  We made College Fjord yesterday (spectacular!) and things seem to be back to normal.  So no reason not to book in her.

• Like 1