Independent Travel Insurance or ACL Insurance

We just booked our first ACL cruise, New England Islands for next summer.  Their insurance was similar in price to Travel Gaurd, but the way I understood it does not cover trip after you start the cruise.  So if we had a medical issue, and had to leave the ship after 1st day and not return, we would not be refunded for price of cruise, is that correct?  We are both over 65, so Medicare would pay medical expenses, but cost of cruise is substantial also. Is there any advantage for buying insurance through ACL? Thanks for any info

It's precruise refund "protection" that gives you a  larger percentage scale. It is absolutely NOT any sort of trip interruption protection. We're booked September 95 for the Mississippi River cruise but I haven't shopped any insurance yet. 

Following up - I went ahead and bought a comprehensive (including Cancel/Interruption For Any Reason) policy for this trip since there's a 21 day "window" from initial payment date to get "full" coverage. Cost about as much as the ACL plan, but between ACL plan, this policy and our Credit Card coverage we should be covered for any eventuality.

Looking for clarification, did you buy an ACL policy AND and independent comprehensive policy for your trip?  It seems like a comprehensive (cancel for any reason) policy from Travel Guard (or similar company) would be sufficient.  Am I missing something?  

We are considering booking a Columbia river cruise this coming October, and we are new to ACL.  Thank you.

I DID buy both, but plan to call ACL next week to see if they do overlap and cancel the ACL one if they'll let me. 

Both had a short window to purchase after initial payment to get full coverage, so I didn't do my best due diligence. 🤪

I'll report back here once I get it all sorted out. 

22 hours ago, GJustice said:

I DID buy both, but plan to call ACL next week to see if they do overlap and cancel the ACL one if they'll let me. 

Both had a short window to purchase after initial payment to get full coverage, so I didn't do my best due diligence. 🤪

I'll report back here once I get it all sorted out. 

Doubtful they will let you cancel the policy

Cruise Critic has a special forum devoted to questions about travel insurance:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

I didn't move this thread there because there are some big differences for US river cruises (e.g., US passengers probably don't need medical coverage), but it looks like OP could have used advice from the knowledgable posters there.

After many years of buying travel insurance from my travel agent (and all good results), I have recently started following advice I saw on that forum to call Steve @ tripinsurancestore.com (888-407-3854).  He will go over all the details of your trip and steer you to the best policy for that particular situation.  I have booked two trips with him, and he recommended two different companies based on subtle variations in the trips.  Very happy with his advice and service.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2024 at 3:46 PM, BaumD said:

Doubtful they will let you cancel the policy

Surprised, but they canceled it and applied the payment I had made to the cruise balance. Refund would have been nice, but I'm fine with the outcome. 😉

• Like 2