AMEX Offer - $350 off $1200 Holland America

18 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Assuming you are making a new reservation I would simply instruct the T/A or PCC to make a deposit of the amount needed to qualify for the promotion.  I know this could tie up a few more dollars but in my mind makes life easy and you can deal with all the other stuff, excursions, tips, etc. etc. later.  If you have a current res. my reading of the terms are that it does not qualify for promo but of course there are apparently exceptions. My terms for Blue Card 700/300 (there are several offers out there) state:

Valid only for reservations and any additional purchases booked at the time of initial reservation purchase.

If you have an existing reservation things are more interesting. In a previous promo I added to my deposit for an existing booking to meet the $$$ and I did not receive immediate confirmation from AMEX (what should happen) and contacted them. They said they would do an investigation and ultimately provided promo (even though I cannot argue that I was within the terms).

I usually only go into these things if there is total clarity that I qualify but like many things the reality can be as clear as mud. So if you are contemplating a HAL cruise this can be a nice add on but for some others it is a dangling fruit that can be a hassle to claim.

I actually have this offer on 3 of my card and was hoping to use all three.

so what you are suggesting is, at the time of booking. Make the payment to meet threshold. That sounds like a solid advice

I also wanted to pay gratuities , do you know if those can be added at time of booking. TA made it sound like it cannot and have to be done after booking went through. 

3 minutes ago, Sayuil said:

I actually have this offer on 3 of my card and was hoping to use all three.

so what you are suggesting is, at the time of booking. Make the payment to meet threshold. That sounds like a solid advice

I also wanted to pay gratuities , do you know if those can be added at time of booking. TA made it sound like it cannot and have to be done after booking went through. 

Wow, three of your cards.... high finance. First of all not sure why you are 'worried' about tips since you can add them later. I assume you do not want the inclusive package that includes tips.

If it was me (assuming a new booking with HAL)  would probably book initially with best offer paying deposit and at that point you can add additional deposits on other cards. Since they would be dated the same day this may work (who really knows?). If these additional deposits do not create bonus(s) you can transfer booking to T/A and add an additional deposit there which SHOULD be processed. Frankly, if it was me I would be happy with the initial bonus at booking which should be clear and immediately processed and then try to add to deposit with T/A after transfer (another topic). As poster pointed out above this could 'hide' the fact that this was not a deposit upon booking. A third bonus (getting a bit greedy here) .... well at that point you could add dining, excursions, etc to existing cruise and roll the dice.

Geez, from my perspective I would be happy that one bonus coincides with intent to book a cruise and I would move on. I mean you could move to another state that has a 'special' offer, or lie about your age or military service but does going through these gymnastics for a vacation really make sense? Good luck.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Wow, three of your cards.... high finance. First of all not sure why you are 'worried' about tips since you can add them later. I assume you do not want the inclusive package that includes tips.

If it was me (assuming a new booking with HAL)  would probably book initially with best offer paying deposit and at that point you can add additional deposits on other cards. Since they would be dated the same day this may work (who really knows?). If these additional deposits do not create bonus(s) you can transfer booking to T/A and add an additional deposit there which SHOULD be processed. Frankly, if it was me I would be happy with the initial bonus at booking which should be clear and immediately processed and then try to add to deposit with T/A after transfer (another topic). As poster pointed out above this could 'hide' the fact that this was not a deposit upon booking. A third bonus (getting a bit greedy here) .... well at that point you could add dining, excursions, etc to existing cruise and roll the dice.

Geez, from my perspective I would be happy that one bonus coincides with intent to book a cruise and I would move on. I mean you could move to another state that has a 'special' offer, or lie about your age or military service but does going through these gymnastics for a vacation really make sense? Good luck.

Technically I have one card with authorized users. And offer show up on all three of them.

But thanks for advice. 

also first time sailing with HAL. Can you tell me more about Inclusive package that include TIPS. Never heard of that 

On 5/17/2024 at 8:34 PM, DeeB4990 said:

Just logged into the AMEX main dashboard - couldn't find this offer & did a chat and AMEX chat agent said no such offer exists, all they found were Carnival & NCL & those were closed to new signups??  Perhaps OP or someone could post a link or offer code?? 🤷‍♀️  Would love to get it. 

The CHAT feature was not live so I called the toll free Amex 1-877-932-4259.  The found the offer but said the amount was limited to $300 and booking can only be applied by Amex Platinum Travel Services.  When I asked to see that in writing they guided me to the section under cruises:  https://consumer-travel.americanexpress.com/en-us/travel/cruises

Also they said that this can only be made for new bookings.  I mentioned that I booked a HAL cruise while on a recent cruise in April through a future cruise consultant and only paid the deposit.  I was told this had to be a new cruise and mine was not eligible.  Also they said this would not apply if I were to call HAL Reservations directly.

56 minutes ago, 2LoveBikes said:

The CHAT feature was not live so I called the toll free Amex 1-877-932-4259.

That number is for HAL, not AMEX. The terms I got for my offer is the same as the OP except for the amounts. If you did call Amex there's clearly a miscommunication somewhere. Maybe they got it confused with the Amex Platinum cruise perk. You need to add the Amex Offer to get it and if you don't see it to add it, you're out of luck.

From the terms:

" Amex Offers are available for varying and limited periods of time and are dynamic and personalized. If you navigate away from the Amex Offers page, you may see different offers when you return."

It's best to log into your Amex account with a browser to see as many offers as you can since the app has some limitations. If you only see 100 available offers, you'll need to add them all to see beyond that, logging off and back on to see the new offers. I have hundreds of offers that I've added so I can be sure I'm seeing all available offers. Even with doing that sometimes other people get cruise offers I don't have.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 11:37 AM, chisoxfan said:

I don't think this should be a problem but the terms are 'confusing'.

Valid only for reservations and any additional purchases booked at the time of initial reservation purchase.

The terms often (usually) do not reflect how the offer actually works. That's why it's unfortunate that this is a new thread and not a continuation of an old one, which would have explained how it REALLY works.

I have used this offer in the past to purchase OBC, and make additional payments after the initial reservation, and it worked fine. All that matters is that the charge posts as Holland America.

I guess I am at a loss to understand why stated terms don't apply and not sure anybody knows how it REALLY works. On last offer cycle we charged appropriate funds to HAL against a recent booking and there was no credit from AMEX (as posted earlier this credit is processed almost immediately if all is good). We called AMEX and they asked several pointed questions including whether this charge was made at initial booking etc. I responded affirmatively even though inaccurately and figured what do I have to lose. They 'investigated' and I found a credit to my account within a month or so.

So  my question (in general not pointed at you) is why have stated terms if they are meaningless?  Based on my initial experience there was no automatic application of credit when I made an additional charge processed by HAL. Maybe this was an outlier but it was consistent with terms. If you work for AMEX or have inside info that is a different matter alltogether and please keep us in the loop.

Tried to call AMEX and this wasn’t on my offer list and am told ‘offers are personalized and not available if not among the ones you have on your list.’

I have 100 random offers if no interest for reasons no one in particular can explain but not this one.  Have a Schwab Platinum AMEX.  Anyone know a way to game this system of offers?  May need to cancel

my card over this.

Not allowing someone to participate in a broadly offered benefit rubs me the ring way enough to cancel this $650/yr card.

7 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

Tried to call AMEX and this wasn’t on my offer list and am told ‘offers are personalized and not available if not among the ones you have on your list.’

I have 100 random offers if no interest for reasons no one in particular can explain but not this one.  Have a Schwab Platinum AMEX.  Anyone know a way to game this system of offers?  May need to cancel

my card over this.

Not allowing someone to participate in a broadly offered benefit rubs me the ring way enough to cancel this $650/yr card.

Totally Agree..... had the same situation a few years ago with my Platinum card. In my case AMEX said that the offer was 'rotating' among customers and that I should see it in 3-6 mos.

It never appeared. Offers also never showed up on my Gold card. I was frustrated with Platinum and Gold Amex both of which I had for decades.

Closed these high fee cards and went to Chase Reserve and which was way better value (and superior point value) IMHO.

Hold only AMEX Blue which does have 6% back on streaming, and groceries which is OK.

9 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

my card over this.

Not sure if this is the case for you, but if your account is already "filled" with 100 or so offers (not "added"), then you won't see other offers that are available to you until you create room by adding offers that you have zero interest in.

Once you have less than 100 offers, the list will repopulate with other offers. I had been able to see offers that were previously not on my list until I cleared others first. Give it a shot.

LAX

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LAX said:

Not sure if this is the case for you, but if your account is already "filled" with 100 or so offers (not "added"), then you won't see other offers that are available to you until you create room by adding offers that you have zero interest in.

Once you have less than 100 offers, the list will repopulate with other offers. I had been able to see offers that were previously not on my list until I cleared others first. Give it a shot.

LAX

That’s usually the way it works. I will add that if one of the 100 “available” fifers expires, there will be another added to take its place, but that is a slow process for trying to get new offers. 

Many AMEX Offers are targeted.  Meaning they have a profile on you based on your spending.  HAL then decides who they want to target.  It could be "target anyone that has never spent a dime on HAL".  Or "target anyone that has spent money in the past on Royal Caribbean".  Or "target anyone that has an Amex Business Platinum that has purchased at least three airline tickets in the past 6 months and has eaten out at least four times in the month of April".  

Yes, there is a limit to 100 offers.  In my experience, the cruise offers always go straight to the top and will bump down "lower" offers.  My guess is that is because cruise lines pay AMEX more to get their offers listed than say that strange hair care company you have never heard of.  So I doubt adding a bunch of offers is going to reveal the HAL offer.  If you find otherwise with this offer, please report back.

On 5/23/2024 at 3:58 PM, MaxThrusters said:

It looks like this offer is not available to Canadian AMEX Cobalt card users. Oh well.

Only for Oceania.  I only wish HAL in Canada offered this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2024 at 9:35 AM, Mike B Landlubber said:

I just used my Green card with the AMEX offer ($350 off $1200 for me) to make payment on an existing reservation with a prominent online cruise agency. A few minutes later, I got an email from AMEX congratulating me on using my HAL offer, which is usually what happens when I redeem an offer. I will watch for the payment to post. My Vacation is ready to go…

I just used my American Express Platinum card for the $350 offer.  I'm glad to hear that the promo is available on the Green card too, because I'll likely downgrade to it next year rather than canceling the card altogether.  My vacation is ready too!