Two Can't Miss Dinners in Barcelona

We have two evenings in Barcelona and I'd like to make sure we make the most of them.

Currently we have the two dinners below booked:

• Cocina Hermanos Torres - Three Michelin stars but very mixed reviews...has anybody had dinner here to confirm whether it is worth $1k+ for dinner for two?
  • Tapas Tour + Flamenco - I know Barcelona isn't known for their Flamenco and this is definitely not a fine dining experience, but we love tapas and would like to take in a tourist experience, so this seems like a good option.

If anybody has any input on these options or some alternatives we should consider, I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

We have two evenings in Barcelona and I'd like to make sure we make the most of them.

• Cocina Hermanos Torres - Three Michelin stars but very mixed reviews...has anybody had dinner here to confirm whether it is worth $1k+ for dinner for two?
  • Tapas Tour + Flamenco - I know Barcelona isn't known for their Flamenco and this is definitely not a fine dining experience, but we love tapas and would like to take in a tourist experience, so this seems like a good option.

If anybody has any input on these options or some alternatives we should consider, I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!!

As for the "Tapas Tour and Flamenco" - skip it. 

Alternatives to the first one (and second one):

1.Botafumeiro
   Carrer Gran de Gracia
    Seafood that is very fresh, great service but expensive
2.Lasarte
   Hotel Monumento Paseo de Gracia
   Has 3 Michelin stars Top Spanish chef
   Very expensive
3.Enoteca Paco Perez
   Hotel Arts
   Excellent seafood has 3 Stars 
    Outstanding wine cellar
4.Sagardi
   Basque cooking
   Carrer l'argenteria 62
   Good kitchen
5.Els 4 Gats
   carrer de Montsio 3  
   Opened since 1896 
    Its like a step back in time Great food
6.Caballeira
   Carrer Reina Cristina 3
   Outstanding rice with lobster ( better than paella)
Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, marazul said:

As for the "Tapas Tour and Flamenco" - skip it. 

Alternatives to the first one (and second one):

1.Botafumeiro
   Carrer Gran de Gracia
    Seafood that is very fresh, great service but expensive
2.Lasarte
   Hotel Monumento Paseo de Gracia
   Has 3 Michelin stars Top Spanish chef
   Very expensive
3.Enoteca Paco Perez
   Hotel Arts
   Excellent seafood has 3 Stars 
    Outstanding wine cellar
4.Sagardi
   Basque cooking
   Carrer l'argenteria 62
   Good kitchen
5.Els 4 Gats
   carrer de Montsio 3  
   Opened since 1896 
    Its like a step back in time Great food
6.Caballeira
   Carrer Reina Cristina 3
   Outstanding rice with lobster ( better than paella)

Thank you, I will look into these!

5 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Thank you in advance!!

Wow!!

I think "Hermanos Torres" is the most expensive 3star restaurant in Spain.

I guess no dinner deserves 1000 euro for two and you can find other options.

About "Tapas & Flamenco"

1st.... flamenco isn't typical in Barcelona. Everything you will find will be focused only on international tourist. Keep in mind if you go to the south of Spain

2nd.... I often go on tapas dinner with my friends and never go to a flamenco show. This is...they aren't together.

If you wanna have dinner on tapas, just choose one area, read some reviews and go there

Rules are easy

- the ugliest bar, the best bar

- the smallest bar, where you must stand up in front of the desk, the best bar

- the bar without signs in English or other languages, the best (focused only in local customers). Bonus if only in Catalan.

And, just enter into a bar, ask for something to eat and to drink.

If you make a photo to the meal (or the menu), later at home you could find what you have eaten. Use google lens or whatever. If you post here I will try to help

If you love the bar and you want to have all lunch/dinner there, it is ok

If you do not love the bar and you wanna change, it is ok

If you want the bar but you want to taste something different or just different bars, it is ok too

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, alserrod said:

Rules are easy

- the ugliest bar, the best bar

- the smallest bar, where you must stand up in front of the desk, the best bar

- the bar without signs in English or other languages, the best (focused only in local customers). Bonus if only in Catalan.

And, just enter into a bar, ask for something to eat and to drink.

You have won the Internet for today!!!

ETA: Did they really say 1K (1000) for dinner? Whether $ or €, I can cook for a table-full for that!

Edited by crystalspin

6 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Thank you, I will look into these now!

Order a glass of vermouth, sherry or wine and a tapa or two. Move on to another bar and do the same. That is the "tapeo" - go from one tapas bar to another. Just sample a couple and end up for more of a meal at one you like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marazul said:

Order a glass of vermouth, sherry or wine and a tapa or two. Move on to another bar and do the same. That is the "tapeo" - go from one tapas bar to another. Just sample a couple and end up for more of a meal at one you like.

I'm sure that's what the paid Tapas Tour we are doing this, but I guess it would be easy enough to just do it on our own vs paying a guide if we want to.

Just now, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I'm sure that's what the paid Tapas Tour we are doing this, but I guess it would be easy enough to just do it on our own vs paying a guide if we want to.

try to go on your own... What can be wrong?

If you do not like it, just shift and go to another bar.

there's nothing to explain from a guide after moving you to the bar and paying the bill

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Correct. Make sure one of the tapas is "jamón ibérico de bellota" or "jamón pata negra." Look them up. You will see the whole hams hanging over the bar.

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

I can recommend Teoric Taverna Gastronomica. They do a tapas tasting menu-set sittings based on local Catalan dishes. It is a small restaurant and when we went we were the only non Spanish customers. They explained the menu to us and the chef brought some of the dishes out to explain as well. 
It is away from the main tourist area but well worth a visit. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bremenkat said:

I can recommend Teoric Taverna Gastronomica. They do a tapas tasting menu-set sittings based on local Catalan dishes. It is a small restaurant and when we went we were the only non Spanish customers. They explained the menu to us and the chef brought some of the dishes out to explain as well. 
It is away from the main tourist area but well worth a visit. 

This sounds perfect, I'm going to see if they take reservations and if not we will just hope to grab a table without them.

Thank you!