Cruise fare timeline payment question.

My last 2 VV cruises I paid off in full when I booked, but I was always curious about the statement below which I grabbed somewhere on the VV website:

VIRGIN VOYAGES SAYS:

"Deposits are 20% of your voyage fare (ticket price only, not taxes and fees), and they are due at the time of booking. However, if you're booking less than 120 days prior to your voyage start date, full voyage fare would be required."

So, say your ticket price for a fare is $2000. You are more than 120 days from sail date. You use an MNVV voucher as your $300 deposit. Now you owe $1700. Can you leave that entire balance until you get to the 120 day from sailing point and then just pay the $1700 (plus taxes/fees) off in full?

1 hour ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

Actually 20% of $1700 is $340. Would you at some point have to kick in an extra $40? When?

You pay the the extra $40 at the time of booking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Well-Traveled-Eric said:

You pay the the extra $40 at the time of booking.

And am I correct to assume there is no other payment due until you hit the exact 120 day before sailing mark?

The MNVV of $300 is a deposit, not applied as a reduction in fare.  Therefore, your 20% deposit on $2000 is $400, and you'd owe $100 in addition to the $300 MNVV.  However, when I have booked onboard, no matter what the fare was, all I paid was the MNVV as my deposit.

To answer the last part, yes, you don't have to pay anything else until the final payment date.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

yes, you don't have to pay anything else until the final payment date.

This is why we have always loved cruising. We book 1-2 years ahead, pay a little bit every few months, and before you know it, it's all paid for,

5 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

The MNVV of $300 is a deposit, not applied as a reduction in fare.  Therefore, your 20% deposit on $2000 is $400, and you'd owe $100 in addition to the $300 MNVV.  However, when I have booked onboard, no matter what the fare was, all I paid was the MNVV as my deposit.

To answer the last part, yes, you don't have to pay anything else until the final payment date.

Actually, the MNVV is $300 towards the deposit, $300 off the cruise fare and per the new rules $600 Sailor Loot if a cruise is booked and sailed within 60 days of purchase. If not the Sailor Loot drops to $300. So, either way for $300 it isn't a bad deal.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

The MNVV of $300 is a deposit, not applied as a reduction in fare

Actually incorrect.  The $300 you pay for the MNVV goes towards the 20% deposit when you convert it to a cruise. You still have to pay the balance of the 20% deposit.

Plus you get $300 off the cruise fare and up to $600 Sailor Loot. 

To answer the original question, Final Payment is due 120 days prior to the sail date. Up to that date, only the full 20% Deposit is required to confirm your sailing. 

• Thanks 1

What Walter said.

If the cruise fare is $2000 and you have an MNVV,  the $300 cost of the MNVV gives you $300 toward the deposit PLUS $300 discount on the cruise fare....so you now have a cruise fare of $1400 remaining.  This would be due in full by 120 days before cruising.
The MNVV will also give you $600 in "Loot" which is onboard credit.  You will see this when you look at your account on line and in your "wallet" after you board.

• Thanks 1

Well, apparently, I have old information because I haven't done a booking onboard for quite awhile.  Now I know the rules have changed.  Thanks to all for clarifying.

I think the glitch in my brain about this for all this time was I never realized that the MNVV discounts the cruise fare by $300 in addition to the $300 you initially pay for it.

💡<----------Lightbulb going off!

• Like 2