travel insurance

frankhi

Posted (edited)

For those of you with Chase Sapphire cards ... and an extension to Billc23's question:

I note that their cap on trip cancellation is $10K per person, $20K per trip, for covered persons (I assume the two of us).  That $20K would cover less than 2/3 of the least expensive SS cruise my wife and I have taken or are considering.  If both of us pick up a Chase Sapphire card, does that increase the benefit for a trip, not person, to a total of $40K due to 'cross coverage'?  Or are we still stuck at $10K per person regardless?  It would seem the latter, such that there's no benefit from picking up separate cards for both of us.

Edited by canderson
clarity

36 minutes ago, canderson said:

For those of you with Chase Sapphire cards ... and an extension to Billc23's question:

I note that their cap on trip cancellation is $10K per person, $20K per trip, for covered persons (I assume the two of us).  That $20K would cover less than 2/3 of the least expensive SS cruise my wife and I have taken or are considering.  If both of us pick up a Chase Sapphire card, does that increase the benefit for a trip, not person, to a total of $40K due to 'cross coverage'?  Or are we still stuck at $10K per person regardless?  It would seem the latter, such that there's no benefit from picking up separate cards for both of us.

I think the maximum coverage would be $10K per person, and - say 4 persons are traveling with the cost split between 2 cards - then $40K total yet still $10K per person.

I usually get the minimum insurance policy from IMG via the Trip Insurance Store when I first book a trip. That adds adequate medical coverage with a pre existing condition waiver for a very low cost. The coverage per person for cancellation, etc. is only $500 per person, so it is not really beneficial except for the medical coverage. However, the policy for the trip coverage per person and that dates covered can be changed before the trip. Depending on the situation, I may decide to increase the coverage, but often I do not. Great method for flexibility at a low cost of around $100 to $150 per trip for two of us.

I also have a Med Jet policy that is useful for any travel and has better terms than bundled medical transport coverage. 

• Like 1

I had bought a regular 1 trip insurance policy from Allianz for a LA - Vancouver trip as covid was winding down.  DW came down with covid on Victoria Island.  We thought it was allergies until she was positive and we were not able to go on our Air Canada flight home.  Allianz was easy to deal with, though the customer service rep wasn't 100% clear on some coverages.  Once we got home (got across the border via car, double masked, then rented one way from Bellingham to Vegas), we submitted receipts for everything and they promptly paid.  No fussing at all.

We bought the annual w/$15k cancellation limit which cost what the one trip insurance cost previously.  Hope to never use it, but good to know it's there.

I will definitely look into the CSR as our Amex benefits seem to be dwindling.  I'm just dumping the points to Marriott as every time I look for a flight there are no reward seats.  Maybe CSR is a better option?

On 5/26/2024 at 8:11 AM, CJANDH said:

What is the coverage for Medical and Emergency Evacuation? For me, those are much more important than trip cancellation.

My Allianz annual covers $250,000 medical evac.  (and $50,000 medical).

I like that it covers any trip more than 100 miles from home.

4 hours ago, Woofbite said:

My Allianz annual covers $250,000 medical evac.  (and $50,000 medical).

I like that it covers any trip more than 100 miles from home.

That is great. Who decides if you are transferred/evacuated?? Is it your choice of where to go for treatment or based on medical need? 

3 hours ago, billc23 said:

That is great. Who decides if you are transferred/evacuated?? Is it your choice of where to go for treatment or based on medical need? 

AFAIK only MedJet put the choice in your hands.  All insurance policies decide for you.

12 hours ago, billc23 said:

Allianz decides all of the above. I figure in an emergency they have more knowledge about where and who can treat something than my local doctors who probably don't know a lot about international medical facilities or practitioners.

Just got a Viking brochure and they now have a 'cancel for any reason' policy that Viking covers for you if you buy the Cruise insurance. Just saying this here cause it would be lovely if Silversea added this on to their coverage. 

On 6/1/2024 at 8:11 PM, Winemaker_1 said:

We use Chase Reserve also for cancellation/interuption but it doesn't have much for medical.  We use GeoBlue (https://go.geobluetravelinsurance.com) for Medical.  They have a 1 year (multi-trip) Trekker policy ($1,000,000 in coverage with a $100 deductible) that was less than $400 for my wife and I.  

I have no affiliation with GeoBlue btw.

We have a policy with Geo Blue.  I got sick on a Celebrity ship in December & incurred a rather large bill from medical. It was considered out of the US.   GeoBlue finally paid, but it took 4 months and many calls.  

On 6/5/2024 at 1:31 PM, BigFamilyGroup said:

Just got a Viking brochure and they now have a 'cancel for any reason' policy that Viking covers for you if you buy the Cruise insurance. Just saying this here cause it would be lovely if Silversea added this on to their coverage. 

Be sure you understand the Viking policy. The CFAR policy gets you a cruise credit, which has a time limit for use. Seems eminently reasonable to me as a CFAR policy from an outside agency costs a bunch and only reimburses 75%. Even so you will find some bitter complaints about the limitations of the Viking policy on the Viking board.

A CFAR policy that reimbursed 100% would need to be very expensive, as people could cancel for any reason whatever, say, having a bad hair day or a bad tarot card reading.

1 hour ago, pavementends said:

Be sure you understand the Viking policy. The CFAR policy gets you a cruise credit, which has a time limit for use. Seems eminently reasonable to me as a CFAR policy from an outside agency costs a bunch and only reimburses 75%. Even so you will find some bitter complaints about the limitations of the Viking policy on the Viking board.

A CFAR policy that reimbursed 100% would need to be very expensive, as people could cancel for any reason whatever, say, having a bad hair day or a bad tarot card reading.

Given that Viking requires final payment at least 4x sooner than any other line, their CFAR vouchers should last 4x longer!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Given that Viking requires final payment at least 4x sooner than any other line, their CFAR vouchers should last 4x longer!

Don’t start me on Vikings policies!

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Given that Viking requires final payment at least 4x sooner than any other line ...

Viking is indeed an outlier when it comes to PIF dates, but for pax unfamiliar with Viking, let's please be accurate:

First time pax may see PIF dates 12 months prior, or occasionally more, for some sailings. Agree - that's roughly 4x vs the industry.

If you are on, or have another Viking cruise booked, you can shrink that time to 6 months. It's simple to book a future "placeholder" with a $25 deposit that allows a booking with the 6 month PIF.

Don't confuse PIF with penalty start times - Viking conforms to industry norms with regard to penalty terms - 90 days for shorter trips, 180 days for long hauls.

Their approach is anathema for some pax,  others don't find it a deal breaker. 🍺🥌