Godafoss Waterfall Iceland - getting around.

I am looking from some advice from someone who has done a Princess excursion to the Godafoss Waterfall in Iceland.  I know there is a viewing area at the top and a path that can be taken to go down and get closer to the falls.  Does the tour bus drop off passengers at the top?  If I were to go down to a lower level, would I need to walk back uphill to get back to the bus - or does the bus pick up passengers at the lower level?

Thanks,

Don from Halifax

Posted (edited)

I don't think it's guaranteed that every tour operator will do the same, but when we were there the bus dropped us off up top and then met us at the bottom.  I'm not sure you can know for sure in advance how it will be done, but I think that is the "usual" procedure. 

I'm not a huge waterfall fan, but Godafoss was impressive!

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 2

In our case, the bus only stopped at the lower parking lot (near the gift shop).  If you wanted to walk to the upper lookout you had to walk both ways.  Lower is actually in the gorge.

You might want to compare tours with Iceland Everywhere.  Smaller group (our Princess tour had 21 full-size buses) and cheaper.  Tours both in Akureyri and Reykjavik.

I second Iceland Everywhere - we did our excursions with them in Akureyri, Grundarfjordur, and Reykjavik.    In Isafjordur we did an excursion with Arctic ShoreEx.

I highly recommend both operators.     Much less expensive than those offered by the cruise ship & far better excursions, too.

Mary

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

& far better excursions, too.

Well, and how do you know, if you never did the ships excursion for comparison?

🤦‍♂️

Edited by EDVM96

We took the Princess excursion and it was great. The bus driver was wonderful and very caring if you needed any help. The gift shop is a lot of fun. We just did Princess excursions and they were all great. I remover seeing hundreds of puffins on one and amazing horses ( they walked with a special gait and eating salmon. Great cruises. 

I have booked a private tour to do this. I have never liked the looks of a big Princess tour. I've taken a "here to there" Princess tour and have been very happy. But the other tours just ring my alarm bells.

13 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

Well, and how do you know, if you never did the ships excursion for comparison?

🤦‍♂️

Now, if course you’re right - I didn’t do the exact same excursions to compare.  😀

But we have taken plenty of excursions, both Princess and independent.  We also will go off on our own.  There are many times the Princess excursion is the best option, especially when going a long distance.   

For the Iceland excursions, for us, being in a group of 16-20 works really well.  
That means an independent excursion is better for us.    What I liked about Iceland Everywhere was the options given at many stops.   For example, Siggi (the owner) would drop off at the top (say of a waterfall), tell us he’d be there for a half hour, then drive to the bottom and be there for another half hour.    Those who wanted to walk, could.    Others could see the view from the top, get driven down, then get out for another view.   He did a great job of making everyone happy.  

Hope this helps 

Mary