day trip from Sydney to Blue Mountains

26 minutes ago, springaussie said:

I am going for a day trip while in Sydney this week.

Probably go by train with a counter meal somewhere. 

Flying out 1900.

Any suggestions.

Kiama ,it’s 1.5 hours from Sydney’s Grand concourse .

It’s the end of the electric line and there’s usually a train every hour ,download the opel app.

11 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Kiama ,it’s 1.5 hours from Sydney’s Grand concourse .

It’s the end of the electric line and there’s usually a train every hour ,download the opel app.

Chilli I went to Kiama on a steam train last month.

Definitely a good suggestion mate. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Chilli I went to Kiama on a steam train last month.

Definitely a good suggestion mate. 

How about Brooklyn ? The station is called Hawkesbury river and I think it’s about 50 minutes north on the Newcastle line from the Grand concourse . 

A cross of a time warp and a local getaway. pub ,fisherman co-op ,fish and chips shop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

How about Brooklyn ? The station is called Hawkesbury river and I think it’s about 50 minutes north on the Newcastle line from the Grand concourse . 

A cross of a time warp and a local getaway. pub ,fisherman co-op ,fish and chips shop.

Thanks

Must go out that way again.

I went to a pub Hawkesbury River a few years ago.

i got off the train initially at Wondabyne.

No cars hat Wondabyne just walking tracks and people commute here by boat. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, springaussie said:

I am going for a day trip while in Sydney this week.

Probably go by train with a counter meal somewhere. 

Flying out 1900.

Any suggestions.

Train to Cronulla, then ferry to Bundeena?

From Brooklyn you could do the Riverboat Postman along the Hawkesbury

12 hours ago, springaussie said:

SME good suggestions here.

Thanks

You won’t have time this trip but Lithgow is quite scenic. The megalon and Hartley valleys plus the zigzag bypass with it’s 10 tunnels was one of the largest construction projects before the snowy mountains. The trip from Sydney takes 6.5 hours and trains are limited.

But for this trip, I don’t know how mobile you are . The Dulwich hill light rail from the grand concourse to Jubilee park stop. Walk back along Black wattle bay ( very nice) to the fish markets for lunch and continue through to Barangaroo . Wynyard station or the new Metro back to central  ,you can check your bags in at the grand concourse store.

You won’t have time this trip but Lithgow is quite scenic. The megalon and Hartley valleys plus the zigzag bypass with it’s 10 tunnels was one of the largest construction projects before the snowy mountains. The trip from Sydney takes 6.5 hours and trains are limited.

But for this trip, I don’t know how mobile you are . The Dulwich hill light rail from the grand concourse to Jubilee park stop. Walk back along Black wattle bay ( very nice) to the fish markets for lunch and continue through to Barangaroo . Wynyard station or the new Metro back to central  ,you can check your bags in at the grand concourse store.

Thanks Phil

I did work out I could go to Lithgow for 2 hours on the V Set train.The new trains are starting soon. LOL
I have been to Sydney 3 times in a month now.

I don’t know why Barangaroo Station is where it is. Too far from the ferries. Victoria Cross is a top area. I am going for a train trip tomorrow on the Bankstown line before it closes to become a Metro and some North Shore activities.

My partner loves the Fish Market and Light Rail. We must try the walk from Jubilee Park one time. 

6 hours ago, springaussie said:

Thanks Phil

I did work out I could go to Lithgow for 2 hours on the V Set train.The new trains are starting soon. LOL

I went to Lithgow last week from Penrith with some friends for a day trip.

The train terminates at Lithgow as it’s the end of the electricity. You have 20 minutes to catch the same train back or it’s 2 hours and 20 for the next train through the day.

Lithgow is like most country towns,two out of 3 shops are closed and not a lot to see.There’s a nice little Bakery in the Main Street which you have time to grab something and get the same train back to Sydney.

Yeah the new intercity trains,the Mariyong’s .My daughter works for the trains and she usually doesn’t swear.

$B’s of dollars and they can’t use them because they don’t comply to Australian standards. 18 major defects and the main ones where they wouldn’t fit through some tunnels. They had no provision for a guard and the brakes weren’t upto the trip over the mountains.They had to hook up a couple of diesel locomotives to take them to Lithgow where they sit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I went to Lithgow last week from Penrith with some friends for a day trip.

The train terminates at Lithgow as it’s the end of the electricity. You have 20 minutes to catch the same train back or it’s 2 hours and 20 for the next train through the day.

Lithgow is like most country towns,two out of 3 shops are closed and not a lot to see.There’s a nice little Bakery in the Main Street which you have time to grab something and get the same train back to Sydney.

Yeah the new intercity trains,the Mariyong’s .My daughter works for the trains and she usually doesn’t swear.

$B’s of dollars and they can’t use them because they don’t comply to Australian standards. 18 major defects and the main ones where they wouldn’t fit through some tunnels. They had no provision for a guard and the brakes weren’t upto the trip over the mountains.They had to hook up a couple of diesel locomotives to take them to Lithgow where they sit.

Those Marriyong’s were also stored in a few places on the way to Kiama last month.They were supposed to be in service on the 20 October but sources tell me it will some time in 2025.  I also  seen a few stored at Broadmeadow in May.They have a massive maintenance centre at Kangy Angy on the Central Coast.

Testing has also started on the XPT Xplorer replacement trains which are electric and diesel.

On Wednesday I received a SMS from Virgin advising me that severe conditions were expected in the Sydney area Thursday afternoon so I changed my plans to stay closer to Sydney.

Train to Springwood for a coffee and walk thru town. Then local bus to Penrith Westfield for lunch at the pub.

Express train back to the CBD to visit Paddy’s Market and Queen Victoria Building, Then flight home.

I definitely want to do the ferry ride from Cronulla and train to Lithgow on future trips to Sydney. 
Thanks for your help,

29 minutes ago, springaussie said:

On Wednesday I received a SMS from Virgin advising me that severe conditions were expected in the Sydney area Thursday afternoon so I changed my plans to stay closer to Sydney.

Train to Springwood for a coffee and walk thru town. Then local bus to Penrith Westfield for lunch at the pub.

Express train back to the CBD to visit Paddy’s Market and Queen Victoria Building, Then flight home.

I definitely want to do the ferry ride from Cronulla and train to Lithgow on future trips to Sydney. 
Thanks for your help,

Is this the coming week?

Springwood is OK but Penrith ,nothing special. Sorry @mr walker

I was just in the Botanical gardens and it’s so spectacular in spring .

St James train station and have a good look and think about the booming blitz in the London Underground during the war,

Then Hyde park and then Domain Travelator to the Domain and on to the Botanical gardens.

Edited by Chiliburn

Is this the coming week?

Springwood is OK but Penrith ,nothing special. Sorry @mr walker

I was just in the Botanical gardens and it’s so spectacular in spring .

St James train station and have a good look and think about the booming blitz in the London Underground during the war,

Then Hyde park and then Domain Travelator to the Domain and on to the Botanical gardens.

I am back in Brisbane now.

I was in Sydney earlier this week.

I saw this tunnel in April for the first time. I couldn’t believe it.

Thanks

Chilli.