Last minute deals P&O

41 minutes ago, alallallan said:

Is it worth waiting 3 weeks before the cruise to get deals

Always a risk for popular cruises but still possible for many. 3 weeks is a bit late though. The cheapest late savers tend to kick in a week or so after the balance due date, when those who are having second thoughts bail out before paying the balance, so best to look then if you are after a cheap deal rather than leave it any longer. However, the upgrade programme can kick in much later, which can result in very late availability in the lower grades.

1 hour ago, alallallan said:

Is it worth waiting 3 weeks before the cruise to get deals

A lot depends on what you want, where you want to go and when you want to go.

If you just want a last minute cruise to go anywhere at any time then you may get a deal. If, on the other hand, you have something specific in mind then waiting for a deal is probably not the best option.

It all comes down to the old adage - if it is what you want and you are happy with the price then go for it. The price might go down next week but equally the price may go up next week.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

It's worth having a look: we found some great last minute deals last year (50% less than the early booking price) but cabin selection may be limited.

I would imagine that cabin selection on a cheap deal would be non existent. The cheapest deals are always are always guarantee cabins, where P&O choose your cabin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I would imagine that cabin selection on a cheap deal would be non existent. The cheapest deals are always are always guarantee cabins, where P&O choose your cabin.

Yes but you can chose your grade, so if you chose the grade carefully you might be alright. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

It's worth having a look: we found some great last minute deals last year (50% less than the early booking price) but cabin selection may be limited.

That was last year demand has increased since then.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

I was looking out for a cheap off peak deal in Feb this year and nothing at all came up in the weeks before the date I wanted. Not saying it doesn't happen, just my experience 

It certainly doesn’t happen on all cruises, but it is none the less possible on others. An awful lot can happen in the two and a half years between launch (when many book) and balance due date. People’s circumstances or health may change. There may also be availability that doesn’t always show on the website. 

We booked two cruises last year after balance due date - one on Britannia and one on Aurora. i had phoned our TA multiple times about both cruises over a 6 month period and there was no availability. As we need an accessible balcony cabin this didn’t surprise me. Then, with both cruises, a call after balance due date got a result. On the Britannia cruise we were offered a choice of two accessible balcony cabins! On the Aurora cruise we got a late saver at less than half the select price and ended up with exactly what we would have chosen (cabin, dining etc) had we booked Select.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, daiB said:

That was last year demand has increased since then.

Yes, looking for this year it's slightly higher than last year, but I think it's less of an increase than land-based holidays to be honest. I have found the land-based prices are exceptionally more than last year, whereas the cruise prices are just a bit more than last year (although admittedly the cabin selection is less good).

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Last year we were able to get a great select cabin price last minute. This year for the same week it was a few hundred more for the same grade. But still it's wasn't horrifically bad in comparison to what it would be to book in advance, and for us we generally are only able to book a few months in advance anyway, so although I do look at release prices, I wouldn't actually book one: I enjoy looking though 😂

9 hours ago, Cloudyrain said:

Yes, looking for this year it's slightly higher than last year, but I think it's less of an increase than land-based holidays to be honest. I have found the land-based prices are exceptionally more than last year, whereas the cruise prices are just a bit more than last year (although admittedly the cabin selection is less good).

I was looking at land based holidays recently and was shocked at the prices. A couple I was tracking went up quite a lot, both in the 8 weeks before departure. Hence we have booked a last minute river cruise, It's still very expensive but still much cheaper than the standard price. I want to see if they are worth it. Lead in prices seem to be £200+ per night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

I was looking at land based holidays recently and was shocked at the prices. A couple I was tracking went up quite a lot, both in the 8 weeks before departure. Hence we have booked a last minute river cruise, It's still very expensive but still much cheaper than the standard price. I want to see if they are worth it. Lead in prices seem to be £200+ per night. 

A young family we know go on a haven holiday every year

They can't afford to do it this year as its become so expensive now

Cheapest most basic caravans on Haven now in school holidays for family of 4 for a week would be 800 plus per week with no meals etc

Upto about 1,700 per week for the nicest caravans

It's more than we would pay for nice villas abroad in the past

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

A young family we know go on a haven holiday every year

They can't afford to do it this year as its become so expensive now

We are going to Haven in July, just before the kids break up. 2 weeks later and a week is £2,000. They don't have any inside caravans.😂

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We are going to Haven in July, just before the kids break up. 2 weeks later and a week is £2,000. They don't have any inside caravans.😂

Even shepherds huts are expensive now

80 to 130 pounds per night for two!

Come to think of it just putting a tent up in a campsite has become expensive

My son and daughter are on a months road trip in Canada and having to sleep in their car (it's a kind of camper car they fitted a mattress in) because the campsites in the nice location charge too much to put tents up

So I wonder if the price hikes are to do with genuine rising costs, high demand or greed? ATM I think people who haven't had a holiday for a few years will accept high prices but in future they might not.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

So I wonder if the price hikes are to do with genuine rising costs, high demand or greed? ATM I think people who haven't had a holiday for a few years will accept high prices but in future they might not.

I think companies are trying to claw back the money that they lost during covid. We booked a TUI holiday in October last year. The price started dropping about 2 months out.

47 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think companies are trying to claw back the money that they lost during covid. We booked a TUI holiday in October last year. The price started dropping about 2 months out.

The Tui holidays I looked at in March for travelling this month went up in price in April so I didn't bother to book. I might just have been unlucky though.

12 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

The Tui holidays I looked at in March for travelling this month went up in price in April so I didn't bother to book. I might just have been unlucky though.

We are looking to go to the Canaries in November....If the price is right. If Not Bournemouth.🤣

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Are these price increases on cruises/holidays any different to the price rises on virtually everything else these days?

Your quite right. Most chain restaurants are up 30-50%. Costa, McDonald, even greggs. Some of the smaller restaurants seem to be getting a bit greedy, but then wonder why less people are eating there. Fortunately we have a choice.