Half-Live: Regal Princess British Isles 27 May 2024

Posted (edited)

So despite my efforts, lots of handwashing, sanitizer use, and masks when in large crowds/confined spaces, I've come down with a cold. 

It's remarkable how few people I've seen handwashing before they enter the buffet, and I've only seen a handful of people wear masks.

I'm hearing a lot more coughing and sniffles now than before too.

Edited by ellp

11 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Its a trek from Zeebrugge to Bruges, about an hour coach journey from memory and a walk of about half a mile to bet into the historic centre.

I have been reliably informed by my friend who has been to the port a lot that it's less than 10 minutes on the train, or less than 20 minutes via car/coach (traffic permitting).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ellp said:

So despite my efforts, lots of handwashing, sanitizer use, and masks when in large crowds/confined spaces, I've come down with a cold. 

It's remarkable how few people I've seen handwashing before they enter the buffet, and I've only seen a handful of people wear masks.

I'm hearing a lot more coughing and sniffles now than before too.

Honestly May in England this year is cold-virus central: my son's school has had some of the worst sickness levels in a long time.

Plus the pollen levels are rising: although thankfully Scotland generally has lower levels so I an hoping my hayfever is better for the next few days 🤞

• Like 2

Le Harve cancelled - replaced with Zeebrugge

It's disappointing for those with plans, and there was no advertised strike for our port day, but it's France - they are good at striking! 

Well done to Princess though for getting the news out promptly.

IMG_0145.jpeg

• Like 1

Zeebrugge.

Quick guide to the main public transport options.

A short walk from the port there is a tram stop(Zeebrugge Kerk) to Blankenburg where you can catch bus or train to Bruges.

Can pay with contactless on the tram €2.50 single

There is a ticket machine to get other tickets like an all day

https://www.delijn.be/en/

Has a route planner for the trams bus and trains

A longer walk there is a train station(Zeebrugge dorp) with a 15min ride to Bruges. €7.60 return

https://www.belgiantrain.be/en/tickets-list?DepartureStationReference=1405&ArrivalStationReference=1009&TravelClassCode=2&JourneyTypeCode=2&DepartureDate=07%2F06%2F2024&ReturnDate=07%2F06%2F2024&HighlightProductId=&sfs=1&listsearch_product=&rp=

Both a lot cheaper than the ship on your own tour  or the shuttle just outside the port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm actually getting excited about the possibility of the Zebrugges stop... almost hoping they cancel Le Havre on our cruise (June 8).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So DD and I discovered the bar/ sheltered seating area on deck 17 at the back of the ship. Lots of outdoor seating free of the crowds and great 180 degree views.

PLUS, it's one of the areas we discovered we can get really good data reception through our package (bought from home). (Fyi, it was $30 cdn for unlimited calls home, and 5 gigs of data, for 30 days). 

Today is our sea day with next stop being Edinburgh. It's about 9 to 12 Celsius, partly cloudy with the occasional smattering of hail/rain.

17175050437627352241398246350260.jpg

Edited by ellp

3 hours ago, ellp said:

So DD and I discovered the bar/ sheltered seating area on deck 17 at the back of the ship. Lots of outdoor seating free of the crowds and great 180 degree views.

PLUS, it's one of the areas we discovered we can get really good data reception through our package (bought from home). (Fyi, it was $30 cdn for unlimited calls home, and 5 gigs of data, for 30 days). 

Today is our sea day with next stop being Edinburgh. It's about 9 to 12 Celsius, partly cloudy with the occasional smattering of hail/rain.

17175050437627352241398246350260.jpg

Sorry, I meant the back of deck 16, behind the buffet section. 

• Like 1

Belfast Weather Report

Just realised I haven't yet posted yesterdays report!

Basically the same as Belfast 😂

Morning: Cloudy, but not cold (hoody weather, or a light jacket over if you are nesh).

Early afternoon: as per Morning.

Late afternoon/Early evening: warm sun breaking through the clouds. In the direct sun you would get burnt after too long as it is a hot (for England) sun. I was able to sit on the balcony in a bikini quite happily.

IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg

IMG_0140.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Its a trek from Zeebrugge to Bruges, about an hour coach journey from memory and a walk of about half a mile to bet into the historic centre.

It is only about a 15 min. train or bus ride from Zeebrugge to Bruges

The mattresses are seriously comfortable. To the point I had to check what they were. They also have a "topper" on top of the mattress that is separate from it. 

I want one for home, but methinks they are very pricey...

IMG_20240605_070228059.jpg

IMG_20240605_070152530.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday was a sea day, time to sleep in, recharge and explore the ship. 

We found the Sanctuary, and there was no one in it. The attendant just waved us through when I asked if I could have a peek at it. There's lots of Instagram-able spots there.

IMG_20240604_123854213.jpg

IMG_20240604_125543142.jpg

IMG_20240604_125646132.jpg

IMG_20240604_163645607.jpg

• Like 1

Sea Day Weather Report

Sunny-cloud for most of the day.

The later it got, the warmer it got: in sheltered places, in the direct sun, it was actually quite hot.

IMG_0164.jpeg

IMG_0172.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carajoemom said:

Hi, can you post some lunch and dinner menus?  Thanks

I think there were some earlier in the thread.

9 minutes ago, carajoemom said:

Not for a many days, only the daily event listings, which are appreciated.

Ah, I may have been confusing threads. I think there are menus in this one.

On 6/3/2024 at 3:53 PM, Cloudyrain said:

Le Harve cancelled - replaced with Zeebrugge

It's disappointing for those with plans, and there was no advertised strike for our port day, but it's France - they are good at striking! 

Well done to Princess though for getting the news out promptly.

IMG_0145.jpeg

Can someone on the ship post the Princess Excursions for the Zeebrugge stop?  It would be nice to review in advance since we may get this stop on the next cruise.  Thanks.

9 hours ago, k9Rulez said:

Can someone on the ship post the Princess Excursions for the Zeebrugge stop?  It would be nice to review in advance since we may get this stop on the next cruise.  Thanks.

Sorry, I threw it away without looking as we don't really bother with ship excursions.

Edinburgh Weather Report

Daytime: a nice British mix of sun, rain, wind, cloud. Definitely jacket and hoody weather!

Evening: it did brighten up later afternoon/evening. Still a brisk wind though.

(Photos in order of the day!)

IMG_0198.jpeg

IMG_0214.jpeg

IMG_0218.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Edinburgh Dailies

Also details of the port transfers: there is no need to pay over $100 for a Princess Excursion when the local bus is literally outside the ship, runs every 20 mins throughout the day, and costs £12 return!

Beware of traffic coming back, but on the positive side: just get in that tender queue before last call and you will be fine. The ship will wait if there are delays with the tender process.

To leave the ship tenders were ticketed until about 11.30, and by 12.30 there were no queues to get on. 

On the return there was quite a lot of queuing as they had to pause operations due to the tender boats struggling in the water, but the local ferry came over and assisted and things did get moving quite quick.

IMG_0204.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

IMG_0206.jpeg

Edited by Cloudyrain

12 hours ago, k9Rulez said:

As you can see prices are very high.  We have never done so many excursions on our own. Bruges “on your own” (as princess excursion) is something we would normally do, but at $240 per couple we will Uber to the train with a cost being a fraction of $240. Usually princess would cost $80 each , still much more expensive than a an Uber and train, but more palatable.  

image.jpg

image.jpg