Things to see between Whittier and Anchorage.

melodi1963

My group will be in Alaska in late July 2007 (Spirit). We have contacted a limo service to pick us up at 9:00am and drop us off at the airport at 4:00pm. Below is what they plan for us along the way. Please help me decide if this is a good plan or if I should add or delete anything to get the most out of the day before we head back home.

Pass through the 2.5-mile-long Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel to leave Whittier. Continue on the Whittier/Portage Glacier Access Road that connects Seward Highway with Whittier. Glaciers from an earlier period carved the steep mountain slopes in this magnificent valley. Explorer Glacier can be seen high on the mountain. A stop will be made at the Begich Boggs Visitor Center to see the glaciology exhibits and enjoy a 20-minute film, “Voices of the Ice”. You will also have the opportunity to take pictures of glacial ice that has calved into Portage Lake. Next visit the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, where you can view bison, elk, eagles, moose, caribou, and musk oxen in a natural setting. Continue on the highway, view the remains of Portage, a small town ravaged in the 1964 earthquake. Next stop is at Girdwood at Alyeska Ski Resort. Take a tram up the Alyeska Mountain 2,300 feet to enjoy the spectacular views of Seven Glaciers and have a quick lunch. Continuing North on the Seward, Turnagain Arm stretches on the left side of the road. Stop at the waysides, where often you can see Dall sheep or beluga whales. Check out the progress of salmon fisherman below the bridges along the highway. Just south of Anchorage, the road borders Potter Marsh, a portion of the Anchorage Coastal Waterfowl Refuge. Arrive to Anchorage and we will drop you off anywhere in the city or continue for our one hour tour of Anchorage.

Thank you for all your help.

That's usually a day trip I take my relatives on when they come to visit. Though we usually hike up to Bryon Glacier at Portage and don't do the Wildlife as on another day trip we've done our zoo here in Anchorage.

You've got a well rounded day and I think you will enjoy it.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I am trying to decide whether to use Princess' transfer for my two daughters and their husbands or go independant. They don't need to be at the airport until around 2:00 PM. Which Limo service are you using? How many people with luggage? Do you mind my asking what the cost is for what you described here?

Thanks for the help.

We are using Limousine of Alaska. Our group has 12 people and they will take us along with our luggage in their Monster SUV on the tour and drop us off at the airport for $65 pp. I think that is a very good price considering that covers our whole day.

By the way, can anyone think of any "Must dos" that this tour doesen't cover?

This packs most everything into your transfer, a great use of time. Budget fully for eating at Alyeska. Otherwise, maybe a stop at the Indian House for an "Alaskan" lunch, definately at the opposite end of the Alyeska experience. :)

Tried to get the tram menu to load from the resort but it won't. What it is during the day they have a cafeteria open up there, sp you won't be eating at the Seven Glaciers Restaurant as that only serves dinner, so I could see it being around $15 or less. Last time we did it they had soup, salad, reindeer sausage, some sandwiches, etc.

Susan in Anchorage :)

That tour looks great. The only thing I'd add would be taking a walk at Potter Marsh to see the waterbirds close up. If the driver/guide is as good as the write-up you'll have a wonderful day.

Murray

AK Susan, Budget Queen, Yukon, do you have any recommendations of company's that would do the transfer from Whittier to Anchorage Airport and include sightseeing? Or, do any of you know anything about the reputation of the company discussed here?

Thanks

Melodi,

Could you post a link to that website so I can see if the have space on the day I arrive. I have already reserved a car, but it costs about the same as your tour (give or take). I may want to try that as at least then I would get a narrated tour.

Thanks,

Michelle

That's pretty much it. I called them at 1-866-907-2005 (toll free) back in January and discussed what I wanted, the lady (Ana) was very nice (a little hard to understand though) gave me a verbal price for what I wanted. Then we email back and forth a few times and I asked her to tell me the things we would do on our tour.

Feel free to email as sometimes when I called the answering machine picked up, but she did email me back, usuallay at night AK time, so don't look for anything back until next day. aklimo@acsalaska.net is the email address.

Good luck,

We also reserved the SUV limo for our transfer from Limousine of Alaska. I believe they charge by the amount of time you will be using the limo. Our group of six only wanted one stop along the way (we are doing our own land tour prior to the cruise). Our rate worked out to be about $70-75 pp, for about 3 hours total. This worked out to be cheaper than the two cars we were originally planning to rent, plus we get to travel in style!:)

I hope to see some reviews of this company once the cruise season begins. It doesn't seem like there are many reviews for any of the limo companies for some reason....

Lunch question: Budget Queen, you mentioned a stop at the Indian House for an "Alaskan" lunch. Where is it and please let us know what you term as "Alaskan" lunch?? Thanks!

Local, nonpolished tourist place. :) Located in Indian, about 25 miles east of Anchorage on the Arm. Daily specials, great burgers, halibut, "cheap" in terms of price in my opinion. Most always stop there. Very very casual, can find yourself sitting next to someone coming in from fishing. :)

Archived