Mahogany Bay beach and bug bites

mar214

Port stop at Mahogany Bay coming up. I've been reading about sand flies, etc. and many people getting bug bites. I get horrible allergic reactions to any type of insect bite and must avoid areas with mosquitoes and any type of biting insects. I always travel with my prescription meds in case of a bite, and I'm miserable if I do get bitten. Also need shade and I see that might be the worst place to hang out because that's where the bugs hang out, too. Spending a beach day covered in insect repellent is not my idea of fun. How are the biting insects at Mahogany Bay? Same problem at every beach in Roatan? I don't mind spending the day on the ship if I must - would love to hear about the experience of cruisers who have been to Mahogany Bay and Roatan beaches. Thanks very much!!!

There are sand fleas (noseeums) in Roatan.  Sometimes they are bad, sometimes not.  Best bet is to spray from knees down with a bug spray or oil.  They live along the beach areas where there is vegetation, like jungle, and as I said - sometimes nothing, sometimes everywhere.  

My last trip I got nothing, the trip before I forgot to spray and had bites from our jungle walk in port area.  Previous trips, ditto....  best to just spray.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2024 at 12:36 PM, mar214 said:

Port stop at Mahogany Bay coming up. I've been reading about sand flies, etc. and many people getting bug bites.

we were there the first week of June, didn't get bitten. We walked to the beach, but we spent most of the time in the water.

However, it was hot as hell and super crowded.

Thank you for the feedback! We are there in September and it’s going to be very hot. Planning to get an umbrella since I can’t sit in the sun. Was it too crowded to enjoy? I’m ok staying on the ship if it’s not worth fighting the crowds on the beach and in the water. Thanks so much!!

On 6/24/2024 at 4:43 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we were there the first week of June, didn't get bitten. We walked to the beach, but we spent most of the time in the water.

However, it was hot as hell and super crowded.

How many ships were there that day?  We were planning on going to that beach but if it's too crowded that's no fun

13 minutes ago, fedexretiree said:

How many ships were there that day?  We were planning on going to that beach but if it's too crowded that's no fun

two and it was pretty awful and super hot. Once in the water it was much better but it was like a human soup.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3013301-enchanted-princess-review-june-1-2024-western-caribbean-with-food-pics-dailies-and-more/page/2/#comment-67513252