Last week of August an okay time to cruise?

biksgirl

Hello,

I have been on many cruises, but only in the Caribbean and Europe. I'm thinking of going on an Alaskan cruise, but with my schedule and availability, we can only do end of August. I was looking at Holland America August 21-28 round trip from Vancouver. Inside passage.

I understand there will be rain, but how about the water, will it be very rough? My sister is planning to come and she has younger kids who have never been on a cruise.

For our first time in Alaska, would you be hesitant to book a cruise at the end of August?  Would it be worth it, or would we not even be able to do many excursion due to weather at that time?

Thanks 

I am quite happy cruising the end of August.  Yes, it can rain and you can have rough seas any time of the year, but there’s also a good chance it will be sunny and warm.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We sailed Alaska in July, it snizzled or rained 98% of the time. 
We cruised Alaska in August last year, we had amazing weather 98% of the time. 
You never know what you’ll get for weather. We’re going August again this year and hoping we get fantastic weather again, but know it’s unlikely. 
‘We had no mosquito issues either time but we’re not hikers either. 

Edited by silvercrikhix
  • Like 1

I did an August cruise a few years ago and am booked again late August this year. We did not have rough seas, or mosquito problems. We also had minimal rain.  In fact we had more rain in June when we did a cruise tour in 2017. The only downside for me in August was missing the longest days, like you'd have around the summer solstice. That is a special experience.

• Like 1

Mosquitos should not be a problem on a round trip out of Vancouver.  They can be a problem inland (like in Denali).  Vancouver is a good choice for smooth seas.  You will be in the inside passage.  Late August is fine for that itinerary.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The thing about late Aug is that is when the salmon are in and that means more chances to see bears in Ketch, less so Juneau and many other cities. If in 2024 better get moving as hotels, flights and shore excursions are likely to be fulling up. 

Edited by SightCRR
  • Like 1

Because you’re going round trip from Vancouver you won’t have much cruising in exposed waters where the seas could be rough. In Alaska they don’t cancel excursions over rain, be prepared for wet weather and you’ll enjoy the sunshine even more. 

• Like 1