Lesson Learned - do NOT buy airfare through NCL!

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

As I haven't hit retirement yet, I can't say I've achieved that understanding.  But, I have on multiple occasions made it clear to my wife that I have no interest in dying on a pile of money and I've made it clear to my daughter not to expect to inherit a penny. 

The real issue is that you don't know how long that nest egg has to last. I just retired and have a pension, but am not 59.5 yet, so my accounts still have time to grow. I have no kids, so wife and I will just spend as we see fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

As I haven't hit retirement yet, I can't say I've achieved that understanding.  But, I have on multiple occasions made it clear to my wife that I have no interest in dying on a pile of money and I've made it clear to my daughter not to expect to inherit a penny. 

My retired parents had this bumper sticker on their car--"We're spending our children's inheritance!"

Wow. This thread went off the rails. Oh well.

My kids are in a tough spot. Their grandmother is 95 and going strong. Their mother will likely follow suit. They'll be 70 before they see a dime. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Wow. This thread went off the rails. Oh well.

My kids are in a tough spot. Their grandmother is 95 and going strong. Their mother will likely follow suit. They'll be 70 before they see a dime. 

Good to be optimistic. My mom’s mom made it to 91, COPD. My mom was a health nut, diet, exercise, cancer got her in 4 months at 72. All of their cared financially planning was based on her outliving my unhealthy dad (he had Alzheimer’s).

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Good to be optimistic. My mom’s mom made it to 91, COPD. My mom was a health nut, diet, exercise, cancer got her in 4 months at 72. All of their cared financially planning was based on her outliving my unhealthy dad (he had Alzheimer’s).

One more off the rails comment then I'll fade back into the woodwork...my father died at 49 and my mother at 70, while my husband's folks both made it til 94, so my husband used to brag about how much longer he would live than me, but he made me a widow at 65. Don't assume good genes are gonna save you...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Good to be optimistic.

46 minutes ago, jrt.mom said:

Don't assume good genes are gonna save you...

I know. Life never takes the path we expect. I often tell my wife she's going to outlive me by 20-years. Her response is always the same, "We'll see".

• Like 1