Boston Questions and plans for review, please

Hello!  We're flying into Boston in late July, staying at the Hampton Inn Seaport for two nights before embarking on a RT cruise.  We've both been to Boston before so didn't need to be close to tourist sites.  Even so, I think I've found some activities to do in Seaport (and we'll need some time to recover from jet lag anyway).

On the one full day we have in Seaport, I'm thinking of visiting the Boston Design Centre and America's Test Kitchen.  Is there anything open at ATK for drop in visitors, even if it's just a shop?  Or should I cross that one off my list?  Dining would be at Flour Bakery and Drydock Cafe.  We may venture a little farther afield for other seafood; it looks like it's only a 15 minute walk from hotel to Legal Seafood or some other nearby places.  Is it safe to walk there?  Fairly level walking?  Any other suggestions within Seaport?

What time do they start accepting luggage at the cruise terminal?  And processing check in?  The last time we embarked there, I recall getting there fairly early but others who arrived later had to wait for hours outside.  Or should we just have lunch elsewhere and show up later?  Departure is at 3 pm.  There is only the one ship in port that day so it may not be too bad.

Post cruise, our flight is at 6:25 pm.  I'm thinking of using the Boston Water Taxi option where they pick you up between the hotel and the terminal, take you to Rowes Wharf and store your luggage.  Then they take you to the airport whenever you want to go.  But it's $50pp which seems a little steep but maybe not since we would have to pay for two taxi rides and luggage storage either way.  How safe is the luggage storage there?  The plan that day is getting cannoli at one of the pastry shops in the North End.  How is the walking from Rowes Wharf to Hanover Street?  We're trying to avoid steep hills and any sketchy areas.  No plans after that; we may just wander around so if you have suggestions, I'll welcome them.  I don't feel the need to do Faneuil Hall again but could, to kill time.  I'd rather kill time there than at the airport where there doesn't seem to be a lounge that we can access.

How does it work from where the water taxi drops one off at the airport to get to the airport?  Is it just a matter of catching the airport bus (I think it's free), and they take you to the terminal?  Is it easy to schlep luggage on and off the water taxi?  We'll have one medium - large bag each and one carry on each.  How about schlepping luggage from airport water taxi pier to the bus?

Any suggestions for dining at the airport? We'll be in Terminal A.

Basically, I'm looking for some reassurance that the Boston Water Taxi will work for us, post cruise.  I am concerned about leaving our worldly goods there, not that they're worth all that much but there are some expensive items.  We are open to Ubering, if necessary to get around; I would just prefer to walk off the calories from indulging in lobster/butter/cannoli/sticky sticky buns!  If the Boston Water Taxi is not recommended, do you have any suggestions where we can store our luggage for 4-5 hours?  Back at the hotel?

Thank you for your help!

34 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Is it safe to walk there?  Fairly level walking?  Any other suggestions within Seaport?

Its reasonably safe and fairly level. The Seaport, while relatively new (it was a warzone when I lived in Boston over 20 years ago), is pretty bland by Boston standards-- mainly corporate hotels, high end condos, and corporate chain restaurants. If you've seen the main parts of Boston totally understand your choice here but just know what you're getting into. 

38 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

What time do they start accepting luggage at the cruise terminal?  And processing check in?  The last time we embarked there, I recall getting there fairly early but others who arrived later had to wait for hours outside.  Or should we just have lunch elsewhere and show up later?  Departure is at 3 pm.  There is only the one ship in port that day so it may not be too bad.

Generally 10-11am they might start accepting luggage. Check in not soon after. Your hotel is literally adjacent to the pier-- personally I would just use that to my advantage. Have a leisurely morning, check your bags, go grab lunch, hang around and head to the ship when you want to. 

40 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Post cruise, our flight is at 6:25 pm.  I'm thinking of using the Boston Water Taxi option where they pick you up between the hotel and the terminal, take you to Rowes Wharf and store your luggage.  Then they take you to the airport whenever you want to go.  But it's $50pp which seems a little steep but maybe not since we would have to pay for two taxi rides and luggage storage either way. 

It's a lot of running around and not super pleasant if the weather isn't cooperating. For a fraction of that cost you could just take an Uber to a nicer hotel, have them check your luggage for free, and be able to do whatever you want. Where they take you at Rowes Wharf is literally a 5-8 minute Uber ride and the airport is only a 10-15 minute one at most and will cost a lot less than $50pp. 

42 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

How safe is the luggage storage there?

Would assume they have some deal with the Boston Harbor Hotel there, in which case quite safe, but again, its something you could also do for free and just give the bellman a nice tip. 

44 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

The plan that day is getting cannoli at one of the pastry shops in the North End.  How is the walking from Rowes Wharf to Hanover Street?  We're trying to avoid steep hills and any sketchy areas.

From Rowes Wharf it will take you about 15 to 20 minutes, is fairly flat (uneven surfaces, cobblestones, etc are just de rigueur in Boston so watch your step), and is not through any sketchy areas. The waterfront is very tourist friendly and the North End is adjacent. Would recommend Mike's Pastry over Modern. 

46 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

How does it work from where the water taxi drops one off at the airport to get to the airport?  Is it just a matter of catching the airport bus (I think it's free), and they take you to the terminal?  Is it easy to schlep luggage on and off the water taxi?  We'll have one medium - large bag each and one carry on each.  How about schlepping luggage from airport water taxi pier to the bus?

There is a bus. There is a small schlep from the pier up through the terminal to the roundabout where the bus gets you. Give yourself some time-- it's not the most convenient thing. An Uber from anywhere in town will drop you curbside and be much more efficient.  

48 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Any suggestions for dining at the airport? We'll be in Terminal A.

Eat before. Logan is fairly basic. You'll have plenty of Dunkin Donuts and the star of the show in Terminal A is a basic Legal Seafoods. 

49 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Basically, I'm looking for some reassurance that the Boston Water Taxi will work for us, post cruise. 

It works-- but it takes longer than it needs to and can be inconvenient with large bags. Ubering will be much simpler and take far less time. 

Thank you very much, Princeton!  That's exactly the info I was looking for.  I'll go over it with my sister and we'll figure out what to do.  But it sounds like we should use Uber over the water taxi.

33 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

But it sounds like we should use Uber over the water taxi.

It can be a fun novelty if the weather is nice and you've never spent any time on the water in Boston harbor but aside from that a general waste of time.