European phone plan using "loaner" phone...?

European phone plan using "loaner" phone...?

Barcelona > Venice > Barcelona rt Jun 23 > Jul 14 NCL Escape
we have ATT, intl plan costs $10US+/day or $240US+ for 24 days BCN+cruise;
does BCN mobile phone service offer cheaper via call-text plan on "loaner"
mobile cell phone that must be returned on 24th day to BCN store...?
 📞__ 📞__ 📞__ 📞__ 📞
or any related advice appreciated, regards
note: wife fluent Spanish

Look into purchasing an e-sim, if you have a new enough smart phone. I've heard good things about Airalo, and they sell a European regional card good for 30 days for $13. 

• Like 2

Second the idea of the eSIM. We did that in Scotland last year and it was so easy. Load the eSIMs into the iPhone before leaving the US, then while in airplane mode during the flight, switch them to active.

On landing, we had full service and data.

Reverse the process on the way home and you’re back on your US carrier when you land.

54 minutes ago, Rib Jig said:

Samsung Galaxy;

can e-sim be purchased in US pre-flights Jun20-Jul15 2024?

where?

What Galaxy model? If it's fairly new it probably has eSIM support.

Yes, you can buy in advance, put it on the phone and have it activated when it connects to the foreign network.

I have only used Airalo, but it worked very well for me in South Africa and USA (I'm Swedish so USA is not my home network)

I have  a Phone  ( pixel) I purchased to use with Google Fi they offer plans where you can just turn it on and off as needed.  The more expensive plan is 65.00 a month or 20 bucks for 20 GB.

I have just used the 20GB plan and have not gone over.

They now offer an E-Sim option but like having the extra phone for travel.

https://fi.google.com/about/plans

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/13390949?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&oco=0

A little easier than getting a european phone number since then you cannot get calls from the US.

It seems most european phones can call the US as I have not had anyone complain about having a US based Phone number.

47 minutes ago, Asawi said:

Maybe I should add that the eSIMs i have had has been data only. No talk/text except iMessage, WhatsApp and similar. 

I wondered about that.  I had read that talk/text is not possible with an esim because you've basically disabled your physical chip in favor of the esim. 

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

I wondered about that.  I had read that talk/text is not possible with an esim because you've basically disabled your physical chip in favor of the esim. 

eSIM in itself does not prevent talk/text. You can have eSIM from many cell plan providers. If your phone is a dual SIM phone you can have both for example an Airalo eSIM and your regular SIM active. You must however be aware that receiving phone calls while abroad can be very expensive. I usually turn off my regular SIM when abroad where I don't have free roaming.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 1:45 PM, Rib Jig said:

A12

thanks in advance

No, Airalo will NOT work on Galaxy A models, at all!!

Get the S model, Airalo works on these S models.

Last year a friend cruised with us and he had the A model and Airalo didn't work and we found out the A models do not support eSims.

This year, he swapped his phone with a S model and we were able to load Airalo on his new phone and get it to work. We fly out in 3 days' time!

May I add, my DH, DS, his GF, other friends and myself included, use Airalo a lot and they work good! We are able to reuse the eSims when we revisit the country or region. Just buy and activate the top ups.

When you're on the airplane and on airplane mode, turn off the active esim first and turn on the next esim (make sure you've named each esim accordingly, e.g. Home, USA, North America, Europe, Portugal, etc). This way, when you land and turn off the airplane mode, the esim kicks in (usually a minute or 2) and you're good to go.

We are in Bermuda, BTW. Our ISP/Cell offers unlimited roaming at $13 per day - no thanks!! - and we need to make sure the Home esim and data are completely turned off before we land in foreign country or we get incurred the first day's roaming charge!

Edited by bluesea777

thanks for responses;

we're prolly going with WhatsApp scheme;

🆓__ 🆓__ 🆓

any related advice appreciated;

wifey making list of Starbucks free wifi each port;

mentioning other frequent "free wifi" places appreciated...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rib Jig said:

thanks for responses;

we're prolly going with WhatsApp scheme;

🆓__ 🆓__ 🆓

any related advice appreciated;

wifey making list of Starbucks free wifi each port;

mentioning other frequent "free wifi" places appreciated...

That was what our friend did last year, but be careful the free wifi are often unsecured. He is so happy with his new S phone now that he'll enjoy it more!

• Like 1

I'm  a hardcore Android user but I bought a refurbished iPhone SE 2020 about 6 months ago and feel like it has already paid for itself in "savings" (ie less wasting) by using eSIM in SouthAfrica and USA and being able to communicate with my daughter and my best friend (iPhone-users) through iMessage while onboard without getting unlimited Internet. Not necessary, but lots of fun!

(I also love that it's red and very pretty and it's small and really easy to keep in my pocket. Such a shame it's not  Android 😁)

Go back and check out the fine print for AT&T. Last time I checked you’re only charged the $10 per day for the first ten days - after that no charge (has to be in the same month or it starts again).  Each additional family member is $5 for the first ten days and then also free. 

While it’s still more expensive than picking up a SIM card I normally go this route as it keeps me in easy contact for any business calls or family “emergencies”. 

I’ve used the Holafly eSIM in the other direction, using it for North America trips as I’m based in Ireland. On my phone you set the eSIM to take over only mobile data but leave your normal sim to handle calls/sms. Anyone who needs to contact me when I’m away knows to use WhatsApp or messenger.

If you were to get a European SIM card you’d replace your normal number unless your phone can take 2 sims. I’ve done that in the past, but an eSIM is so much easier. The various providers offer a range of options to suit your needs. 

Posted (edited)

For those without e-SIM capability, you can buy a regular SIM card at many locations after arriving abroad (though typically stores in the airport are a ripoff). I've found cellular data in Europe to be fairly cheap (like $10-15 for a 15GB card). In particular, we've had good luck with Vodafone stores if you're starting your trip in Spain. Sometimes, you'll even see SIM card vendor tables outside major attractions and train stations. They'll also help you install it and set up, if needed. As others have mentioned, you will lose your normal phone number, though. 

Edited by rsachek

51 minutes ago, rsachek said:

For those without e-SIM capability, you can buy a regular SIM card at many locations after arriving abroad (though typically stores in the airport are a ripoff). I've found cellular data in Europe to be fairly cheap (like $10-15 for a 15GB card). In particular, we've had good luck with Vodafone stores if you're starting your trip in Spain. Sometimes, you'll even see SIM card vendor tables outside major attractions and train stations. They'll also help you install it and set up, if needed. As others have mentioned, you will lose your normal phone number, though. 

Not with the Samsung Galaxy A models - they do not have pop out for the SIM cards! 

You might want to read the fine print on the AT&T international plan. "You'll be charged a maximum of 10 daily fees per line, per monthly bill cycle. After 10 daily fees on a line, that line may continue to use IDP through the end of the bill cycle at no additional charge. " Total may be less than total day depending on you billing cycle.

Last trip to South africa I took DH old Samsung phone (screen worse for wear)in to a local phone shop and they set it up with a sim card with basic minimal data and minutes. We could call an uber or phone our excursion operator just fine then used WiFi in our hotels and on the ship. We both had our phones with our numbers which  we left in the safes and checked in an evening so could be contacted in an emergency. 

Esim are far to modern for our phones which still work so we are not changing them.