Upsell offers

Posted (edited)

Does anybody have experience whether there is any difference in receiving timely upsell offers from the big box TA, a corporate TA, a PCC, or booking directly on HAL's web site?

Edited by IPB4IGO
Clarification

12 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

Does anybody have experience whether there is any difference in receiving timely upsell offers from the big box TA, a corporate TA, a PCC, or booking directly on HAL's web site?

When booking directly or with a PCC the offers come to you. If you booked with any type of agency, the offer goes to the agency and they must forward it to you. Reports are that sometimes the Big Box and other agencies do not forward them.

• Like 1

I almost always book thru the Big Box store.  I have never received any upgrade offers.  I don’t care because I book the cabin I want in the location I want.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I recently received an upsell and I booked with a large internet travel agency but not a Big Box.  The email came directly to me and was also sent to my TA.  It had the contact info I need to directly contact HAL to book it.  Fortunately I saw the email almost immediately and there were 3 Neptune Suites to choose from.  I had contacted the Inventory Dept twice looking for an upsell so I don’t know if that got my booking flagged in some way?  

Edited by Skicruiser55

I use the "big Internet TA".....and I get upsell offers timely now.....but I had to ask the lady that we use at the big internet TA to send them to us or otherwise I would not.

I booked our upcoming Alaska cruise while onboard a previous cruise, never transferred to a travel agent and got an upsell offer to Neptune Suite about 4 weeks before departure.  Grabbed it within minutes of receiving the email.

We don't have experience working with a travel agent, so I have no way to compare, but we received one last time as well with our direct booking, which I wasn't quick enough to secure.

Just now, Wayward Son said:

Just to clarify, if you choose an upsell, you still get all the benefits of your original booking, but you get whatever cabin they choose. Correct?

You keep all of your benefits of the original booking but if you were not in a suite before you don’t get the double points.  If there are multiple cabins available you get to choose.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

You keep all of your benefits of the original booking but if you were not in a suite before you don’t get the double points.  If there are multiple cabins available you get to choose.  

Thank you. I booked early and received all the HIA+ benefits. Don't want to lose those. I didn't expect double points, and I also didn't expect to be able to choose the cabin. I assume that doesn't usually happen? 

Yes if there are several cabins open you get to choose - if you receive the email I’d suggest you have the deck plan available so you can see the location of what is offered.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Yes if there are several cabins open you get to choose - if you receive the email I’d suggest you have the deck plan available so you can see the location of what is offered.

Absolutely. I'm a cabin location fanatic.

Edited by Wayward Son

4 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Thank you. I booked early and received all the HIA+ benefits. Don't want to lose those. I didn't expect double points, and I also didn't expect to be able to choose the cabin. I assume that doesn't usually happen? 

To clarify - If you get an upsell/upgrade email or call, you can choose the cabin or deny the upsell so its good to have a deck plan ready to know where the cabin is located. If you (or your TA) checks the "upgrade" box when initial booking, then you may automatically be "upgraded" to a cabin without choice. We leave it unchecked but it's different than upsell. Whichever term you use. 

7 minutes ago, REOVA said:

To clarify - If you get an upsell/upgrade email or call, you can choose the cabin or deny the upsell so its good to have a deck plan ready to know where the cabin is located. If you (or your TA) checks the "upgrade" box when initial booking, then you may automatically be "upgraded" to a cabin without choice. We leave it unchecked but it's different than upsell. Whichever term you use. 

I learned that here before ever booking HAL. Don't do the auto upgrade.