Need opinions-Should I get an NCL credit card?

3 hours ago, FranciscoFamily said:

Perhaps a silly question, but here it is:

If I buy onboard credit with my credit card points and then don't spend it all, is it refundable?

You can buy OBC on their website with the credit card, (don't use points) and it will be refundable. I recently did this to get an AMEX cash back offer fulfilled.

You don't need to and really shouldn't do that.

Just charge whatever onboard, pay final bill with the NCL card, then, after you get home and the next statement and earn those last points trade them in for cash or statement credit.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, FranciscoFamily said:

Example...say I have $500 that could be used towards onboard credit, are you saying I could alternatively get back $500 in actual cash? like a check/direct deposit?

Yes, it's the same redemption scale regardless of how you redeem the points.  The difference is that if you plan to continue cruising with NCL and want to build points, paying the on-board expenses in full using the NCL card then using points for statement credit or cash will give you 3% as points against the entire amount you spent on board or for the cruise (3,000 points if you spent $1,000 instead of 2,100 points if you spent $1,000 but offset it with $300 in OBC bought with 30,000 points you had previously).

1 hour ago, ngrund said:

You can buy OBC on their website with the credit card, (don't use points) and it will be refundable. I recently did this to get an AMEX cash back offer fulfilled.

You don't need to and really shouldn't do that.

Just charge whatever onboard, pay final bill with the NCL card, then, after you get home and the next statement and earn those last points trade them in for cash or statement credit.

I understand the point everyone is making and why it is smart to do it thst way. Thank you all for the info.

question on redeeming points for statement credit...can you do that whenever you want? What are the details?

For example, can I use the credit card to buy on board credit and then immediately redeem my previously earned points for statement credit? I know I would not yet have the pints foe that day's purchase

Remember this card is co-branded by NCL but is issued by Bank of America. Under Bank of America Worldpoints program you can redeem points for:

(1) statement credit

(2) cash deposited into checking account / savings account at Bank of America

(3) have check mailed to you 

The points expire after five years so just don't sit on them for years.

You can redeem them whenever you want online. It could take a day or two processing depending on when you do it.

3 hours ago, slidemaster5 said:

My wife has decreed Haven only, so we are in the same boat, in a matter of speaking. Using the card as a discount. Now if we only could get AARP gift cards for NCL like other lines.....

That's understandable, as my wife sometimes gets rather adamant about traveling in first class, as well.  Unfortunately it means that you won't be able to use the card to it's fullest advantage for yourself.  Any chance you have relatives or friends who might want to join you on a cruise?  Maybe they don't want to pony up for the cost of a Haven, but would be happy with a Balcony.  You could book an OV for them, use points to upgrade them to Balcony, put the cost on your card, and then either give the room to them as a gift or let them repay you under the table.  That way you could maximize the value of your World Points.  As others have noted, you have several years to use your points before they expire, so even if you can't think of someone who might join you currently, you might find a friend, neighbor, or relative in the future who would enjoy cruising with you.  Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

That's understandable, as my wife sometimes gets rather adamant about traveling in first class, as well.  Unfortunately it means that you won't be able to use the card to it's fullest advantage for yourself.  Any chance you have relatives or friends who might want to join you on a cruise?  Maybe they don't want to pony up for the cost of a Haven, but would be happy with a Balcony.  You could book an OV for them, use points to upgrade them to Balcony, put the cost on your card, and then either give the room to them as a gift or let them repay you under the table.  That way you could maximize the value of your World Points.  As others have noted, you have several years to use your points before they expire, so even if you can't think of someone who might join you currently, you might find a friend, neighbor, or relative in the future who would enjoy cruising with you.  Just a thought.

These are good points. Son and DIL in law would probably crash our suite but the friend option is a nice idea.

2 hours ago, FranciscoFamily said:

I understand the point everyone is making and why it is smart to do it thst way. Thank you all for the info.

question on redeeming points for statement credit...can you do that whenever you want? What are the details?

For example, can I use the credit card to buy on board credit and then immediately redeem my previously earned points for statement credit? I know I would not yet have the pints foe that day's purchase

I believe so, i never do the statement credit, i just have $ transfered to my account. Keep in mind that minimum redemption is $25.

9 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Sadly, that's a big nope, I've tried. Points aren't transferrable, meaning your name has to be on the reservation. And you can't have more than 1 reservation in your name.