Greece and Prescribed Medicines?

Wipammy

Hi Everyone

Kind of a strange question but yesterday I stumbled onto a post or article about entering Greece with medication. I’ve been a lot of places and have never had issue with my medication (it’s all in the prescribed bottles and I carry a print out of a list from pharmacy and why I’m using it.However I read that you need to have a physical prescription for each med. I thought no no this can’t possibly be right. 

So I called the Greek embassy to see if they could give me the actual info or direct me to a person that could. She said she was exactly sure but it was probably better to travel with the paper prescriptions because there are rules about how much and what kinds of meds are coming in. I was so baffled by this.

well now I’m looking to past travelers, recent, and am trying to find out if they had to do this? 

Honestly had I not saw this I would have traveled my normal way and would have been in a bad way if I got to Greece and I had to find a way to deal with not having whatever paper documentation from the doctor I needed. 

I’m not looking for medical advice, I’m just trying to find out if this is an actual thing or what. 

Thanks so much!😊

I take the very official-looking "Prescription Information" sheets (with the pharmacy contact, drug info, prescribing physician, etc.) that come with every renewal of our meds and stuff them into a letter-sized envelope. I imagine your printout would serve the same purpose, as would the label for drugs in original containers (mine travel in daily pill sorters or daily-dose baggies for space reasons).

I've never had to produce the documentation, including on two trips to Greece. It just satisfies my compulsive nature to be overprepared.

• Thanks 1

Thanks 😊 

Mine are in giant bottles and I typically try to dose them out into baggies if I know it’ll be fine. For ports I’m unsure of I leave them in the bottles but 😑 so much space lol 

i do carry a letter from doctor with dosing and reason and then the pharmacy sheet and have never had issue. I do take one thing one there “flag” list so that I’ll carry a physical prescription for. I read last night only about 1% of people coming through have issues in Greece so I’m going to go ad normal and hope for the best. 👍😊

thanks again! 😊

• Like 1

Over fifty years of extensive world travel and we have never had a question (or even comment) about our meds.  We do generally carry our prescription drugs in their original containers (which are labled with the name of the drug, prescribing physician, etc.  I should also mention that we do not travel with any "controlled" drugs (i.e. mostly narcotics and stimulants).

There are a few countries where we do take extra precautions  Japan is a great example where they have very strict rules about what drugs can and cannot enter their country.  Japan also has various forms for those carrying more than a 30 day supply of allowable prescriptions, and forms for 60+ days on many non-prescription drugs.  One should also be very careful about taking drugs into countries like China, Russia, etc.

Traveling with narcotics (we don't) does often involve specific forms...assuming the drugs are even permitted.  Also beware that many countries strictly prohibit Sudafed, which is still an over-the-counter drug (with some restrictions) in the USA.  Even Mexico does not permit any Sudafed...and getting caught with this basic head cold medicine can get one into deep doodoo.

Hank

Thanks Hank 

we have never had issues in all our travels but when I saw this about Greece I wanted to see if people have had issues. We do carry cold med but not the one that requires a drivers license. Honestly I think going the way we normally do will be fine. I did check for a list of restricted drugs and only found 3 that were fine here but not there. I won’t have those so I think we will be fine. 😊

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

From what I read the main ones they watch for are Tramadol, Diazepam (I'm sure I'm miss spelling these lol) and one other I forgot which and, as noted above, another is Sudafed with whatever is in the behind counter version. I am going to travel with all mine in the bottles and the one I feel unsure about I will carry a letter from my doctor why I take it and hope for the best. 

I feel like Athens is a huge place with many people traveling to and from other places and there has to be people with multiple meds needed. So I'm going to go forward as I normally do and hope for the best. We go at the end of July. I'll update this thread with what happens.

Edited by Wipammy

2 hours ago, Wipammy said:

From what I read the main ones they watch for are Tramadol, Diazepam (I'm sure I'm miss spelling these lol) and one other I forgot which and, as noted above, another is Sudafed with whatever is in the behind counter version. I am going to travel with all mine in the bottles and the one I feel unsure about I will carry a letter from my doctor why I take it and hope for the best. 

I feel like Athens is a huge place with many people traveling to and from other places and there has to be people with multiple meds needed. So I'm going to go forward as I normally do and hope for the best. We go at the end of July. I'll update this thread with what happens.

Oh my! I’m so glad I read this. My husband needs to pack his tramadol and Sudafed. I never knew it was an issue. We have recently gone to Barcelona and a few Caribbean islands without incident. Yes, please let us know what you experience.  

My understanding is with those you should  have a letter signed from doctor saying it is prescribed, the dose and why you’re taking it. That is about all I can find. I will post once we are out of the airport 👍👍😊

On 6/8/2024 at 7:39 AM, Wipammy said:

Thanks 😊 

Mine are in giant bottles and I typically try to dose them out into baggies if I know it’ll be fine. 

I asked about getting smaller bottles for our prescriptions and it is possible. It just needs to be done in person when it's time to refill. We usually do our refills by mail.