Caribbean in August?

Guest Gemma

Guest Gemma

Hi all, Im so bamboozled looking for a family cruise for next year. Ive seen a good eastern and western caribbean with stays in miami or Orlando. THEN I read its hurricane season. Am I better staying away from August is the threat likely or do people still happily book rhese itineraries anyway. 

As you can see im totally clueless so really in need of some guidance from seasoned cruiser pls.

Im coming from UK there will be me hubby and 2 children aged 11&13 xx

1 hour ago, Guest Gemma said:

Hi all, Im so bamboozled looking for a family cruise for next year. Ive seen a good eastern and western caribbean with stays in miami or Orlando. THEN I read its hurricane season. Am I better staying away from August is the threat likely or do people still happily book rhese itineraries anyway. 

As you can see im totally clueless so really in need of some guidance from seasoned cruiser pls.

Im coming from UK there will be me hubby and 2 children aged 11&13 xx

Lots of people book cruises in the Caribbean in August.  Most of them turn out fine with minimal effects from the weather.  Some of them are affected to a greater or lesser effect by hurricanes.

Always keep these things in mind when sailing in the region:

1) The cruise ship companies and the ship captains will avoid large tropical disturbances (tropical storms and hurricanes) whenever possible

2) There are many things that can be done if a storm is in the area or planned to be

3) Stay informed about weather forecasts in the area.  This sub-forum is a good resource, but hardly the only one.

Good luck with whatever you decide. 👍

Our 2nd cruise we were supposed to port out of Tampa.  However, TS Isaac was quickly coming up the coastline and the swell became large enough the cruise ships could not navigate under the bay bridge.  We were all bussed to Canaveral where we ended up sailing out of on time.  However, as this was a different route, our entire itinerary was reversed.  For those that booked shore excursions through the cruise lines, they were all handled for you.  However, my wife and I rarely use the shore excursions and tend to book ourselves directly.  A lot of calls were made for us to change schedules and we were 95% successful.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.