Skagway tours

Skicruiser55

We will be in Skagway for a long day in a couple weeks and I wondered if there are tours you can just book from the dock?  We’ve been there before but it’s been awhile and not interested in a ship’s tour.  We may just wander around ourselves and find a nice place for lunch.  Any restaurant suggestions?  

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

I wondered if there are tours you can just book from the dock?

No.  There is a shuttle you are required to take (for free) from the ship down the pier due to a rock slide danger in between the train depot and where the ships dock.  When I was there no tour operators were set up on the dock or at the depot that I noticed.

49 minutes ago, Skicruiser55 said:

Any restaurant suggestions?

Yes, for seafood:  Woadies.  https://www.woadiesses.com/  Not fancy at all but great locally sourced seafood.  You can walk to it from the shuttle drop off point or take the shuttle into town for $5 all day use.  Woadies is at State and 3rd ish.  It is literally in a housing fringe of the shopping area but very walkable.  

This was my lunch (sorry it loads upside down).  There is over a pound of crab in that leg.  

LUNCH!.jpg

Edited by BeasleysMom66
  • Like 1

Not from the dock that I remember. However, about a 10 minute walk away (216 Broadway) was a tour office I went to. SKAGWAY-MAP-05.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, royal3 said:

Not from the dock that I remember. However, about a 10 minute walk away (216 Broadway) was a tour office I went to. SKAGWAY-MAP-05.gif

Thank you very much this is very helpful.  

13 hours ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

No.  There is a shuttle you are required to take (for free) from the ship down the pier due to a rock slide danger in between the train depot and where the ships dock.  

We were there 5 days ago.  It depends on where your ship is docked if the shuttle is required.  We were docked at the Broadway Dock and we walked ashore from our ship with no shuttle required. Schedules for docks and berths can be checked here: 

https://claalaska.com/?page_id=1551

We didn't see any vendors at the pier with excursions.  With the number of scheduled ships this summer I suspect most vendors are booked already.  We booked our Jeep rental the day reservations opened last fall.  

We also docked at the Broadway dock so easy walk to town.  We have been here several times so this time this time downloaded as walking tour to listen to and enjoy a long walk with good commentary.  Salmon not running yet but still enjoy watching the creek flow.  Finally went to the A Day in the Life of Soapy Smith show - absolutely silly and good fun if that appeals to you.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked with Chilkoot Charters (a bus/train option).  Our bus driver said she had to wait until the posted time in case the train depot sold any more tickets.  So, they are not at the end of the pier (like in Juneau and Ketchikan), but you can check at the white pass depot to see if anything is available with them (and their partners).

On 6/10/2024 at 10:47 AM, Paula_MacFan said:

We were there 5 days ago.  It depends on where your ship is docked if the shuttle is required.  We were docked at the Broadway Dock and we walked ashore from our ship with no shuttle required. Schedules for docks and berths can be checked here: 

https://claalaska.com/?page_id=1551

We didn't see any vendors at the pier with excursions.  With the number of scheduled ships this summer I suspect most vendors are booked already.  We booked our Jeep rental the day reservations opened last fall.  

Thank you for the link!

• Like 1