Djupivogur Iceland

Hi,

If my proposed shore excursion doesn't happen, any suggestions for what to do in Djupivogur for the day? Is there anything to see there?

I'm aware that tour operators aren't generally looking for guests at the port, but wasn't sure whether there may be some here. Wishful thinking......

It is a town of 500 people.  There really isn't much to "do" right there beyond viewing the beautiful fjords.  I'm surprised there is even one local tour company.

If I was taking a cruise with a stop here, I'd either snag something with the tour company or book something thru the cruiseline, who I am sure is getting all the tour guides from a wide area around Djupivogur to handle their excursions.

This is one of the reasons I always tell friends to do land tours of Iceland instead of cruises.  It is so much easier to explore the country by car than it is by tour bus.  Iceland is all about nature and solitude, not the cruise experience.  And we LOVE cruising but not in places like this.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nitemare said:

This is one of the reasons I always tell friends to do land tours of Iceland instead of cruises.  It is so much easier to explore the country by car than it is by tour bus.  Iceland is all about nature and solitude, not the cruise experience.  And we LOVE cruising but not in places like this.

Please donot tell friends over 75 yrs of age unless they ship their own car to Iceland. Carhire over 75 is not possible according to family and friends....

5 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Please donot tell friends over 75 yrs of age unless they ship their own car to Iceland. Carhire over 75 is not possible according to family and friends....

You might want to check that information yourself before you post it

7 hours ago, MAVIP said:

We have cars reserved in 3 Iceland ports in August.  No company mentioned any age limit.

On 6/13/2024 at 1:32 PM, Nitemare said:

You might want to check that information yourself before you post it

I trusted them......but thanks a lot for your reaction. In the meantime we enjoyed 2 Iceland cruises and will enjoy the next two. And the excursions of course.

On 6/13/2024 at 3:52 PM, Mr. Click said:

We have cars reserved in 3 Iceland ports in August.  No company mentioned any age limit.

Very good! I checked a few and Sunny cars mentions different ages and even 65 . And difference in insurances.     https://www.sunnycars.nl/en/extras/age-rental/    I read the ins and outs on this page and it seems to depend upon the destination too.

Of course I wish you perfect excursions (and am a tiny little bit jealous of course) in the 3 ports! .

1 hour ago, MAVIP said:

Very good! I checked a few and Sunny cars mentions different ages and even 65 . And difference in insurances.     https://www.sunnycars.nl/en/extras/age-rental/    I read the ins and outs on this page and it seems to depend upon the destination too.

Of course I wish you perfect excursions (and am a tiny little bit jealous of course) in the 3 ports! .

Thanks.  I reserved with Lotus in Reykjavik, the let me pick up at the airport and drop off near the cruise port and used orbitz for the other two stops.  Hopefully it all goes well.

1 minute ago, Mr. Click said:

Thanks.  I reserved with Lotus in Reykjavik, the let me pick up at the airport and drop off near the cruise port and used orbitz for the other two stops.  Hopefully it all goes well.

Thank you for this information. The 2nd cruise we will be on board with one of our daughters and it would be nice to be able to rent a car for an "outing" in f.e. Reykjavik as we already did or will do quite a few company excursions in most ports.... .

And for you: all will go well, very good roads in Iceland (if you stay on the main roads...). Quite a few family members and friends travelled in Iceland by car and all were happy (or younger than we are or shipped cars and caravans in a container or took a (car-)ferry from Denmark.)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MAVIP said:

Sunny is not an Iceland company.   The .nl suffix means they are a Netherlands company.  Lots of good Iceland rental agencies, including Lotus, as mentioned by @Mr. Click

We have done 5 land tours of Iceland, ranging from 2 days to 10.  Driven on those good roads and on quite a few of the bad ones.  And taken a Superjeep tour a couple times on roads that had river crossings or deep snow on them

Getting a car with a little extra ground clearance is a great idea for Iceland, as it makes driving on those bad roads quite a bit easier

Edited by Nitemare
  • Thanks 2