Good Restaurants

59 minutes ago, africanviolet said:

We will be staying at the Hyatt Regency Seattle for a couple of days before cruising.  I'd like to know of any good restaurant recommendations.  Thanks.

What sort of cuisine and what sort of budget? WIthout that info we're sort of just tossing out places. 

If you're looking for top notch, white table cloth fine dining, Canlis is hard to beat. Reservations are a must. 

My personal favorite steakhouse-- although there are newer and updated ones-- is Metropolitan Grill. Classic dark old steakhouse with everything you'd want. 

For Sushi in Belltown there's Shiro's which is always a delight.

• Like 1

A Seattle institution is 13 Coins.  I like it, others may not.  There is one located in the Pioneer Square area a short walk from the football stadium.  Another located in a nondescript office building on the other side of International Blvd outside SeaTac.  They generally have an extensive menu and operate late hours.  Food is basically American or continental.  I make it a point to eat there whenever I'm in Seattle and time and place all work out to get me there.

Here’s my running list:

1) Din Tai Fung/Dough Zone  ($$)- I like both - they are excellent choices for dumplings and noodles. Din Tai Fung is a global chain where Dough Zone is more local, but you can't go wrong with either. These two places are where I'd miss if we left Seattle.

2) Sushi ($$$) -Momji Sushi in Capitol Hill is PHENOMENAL. There are a lot of good sushi places, but this is a standout for me.

3) Salt and Straw ($) - technically a Portland import and growing nationally, but the best ice cream in the country, hands down.

4) Canon ($$$) - expensive, but their craft cocktails are theatre in itself. On the drink menu, the icon next to the drink description is what it will be served in. Some examples - a glass apple, a metal canon, an IV bag, a Nintendo Cartridge....and more!

5) Rhein Haus ($)  is a cozy traditional beer hall with great appetizers.

6) Butcher's Table ($$$$) - is our favorite steak place in the city. I love the ambiance and their steak flights are worth it.

7) Bateau ($$$$) - They were just featured in the NY Times - they pride themselves on using all cuts of meat of the cow - so you'll get cuts that you won't see on most menus. The earlier you can make a reservation in the night, the better- when a cut is gone, it's gone for the evening.

8.  Starbucks Reserve Roastery ($)  -- skip the "original" Starbucks at Pike Place and go to the Roastery and Reserve room in Capitol Hill. It's a Willy Wonka of coffee - with giant copper roasters, artesian sandwiches, craft cocktails and unique Starbucks gifts for the Starbucks obsessed. The proscuitto, parm, and argula on croissant seems like it can be made anywhere but it is so heavenly. 

9. Another Starbucks trick - the Starbucks in Columbia Tower on Floor 40. It's free to go in, and you get views of the city higher than the Space Needle.

10. Craft Beer - We have some of the best craft beer in the country because most hops are grown in Yakima Valley, WA. Be sure to try Reuben's Brews, Fremont Brewing, Cloudburst and Holy Mountain.

11. Some Random Bar ($$) - In Belltown, used to be my go to for Happy Hour. Try the crab nachos and the house made pina colada (for real - wouldn't think Seattle = Pina Colada, but yes, awesome)

12. Dino's Tomato Pie  ($)- If you're missing East Coast pizza, this is the closest thing to it. It's owned by a ex-Jersey guy, and we would happily pay out the nose for delivery to get this pizza. I almost brought it home on the train with me.

13. The Pink Door ($$) - Views of the Sound from Pike Place Market - excellent Italian food, and sometimes there's circus-like acts of entertainment.

14. Quick bites at the Market: Grabbing a Grilled Cheese at Beechers ($) - then walking through the market where the arts and crafts are on the top floor - you'll come to an outdoor patio with views of the sound that's kind of hidden away, and therefore, not as crowded. For a less touristy selection at the market -  Farvahar Persian Cafe ($) is a family run stand that is so good.

15. Copperworks Distillery  ($$) - Located right near the touristy pier, the building is amazing and their spirits are good enough to take home.  

(Still Seattle, but not downtown but worth an Uber):

12. Windy City Pie (Greenlake) ($) - really intereting Chicago style pies

13. Cafe Munir (Ballard/Crownhill)  ($$) - Our favorite local joint in Ballard for Lebanese food - I miss their hummus and garlic sauce so much.

14. Pestle Rock (Ballard) ($$) - This is Northern Thai food - so beyond a Pad Thai and a Curry Chicken - really interesting dishes.

15.  Ray's Boathouse (Ballard) ($$$) - a Seattle staple that's on the water and great seafood.

16.  The Masonry (Fremont)  ($$) - Great coal fired pies and an amazing craft beer selection, with outdoor seating/fire pits.

• Like 2

Lots of good suggestions so far. I like The George in the Olympic Hotel. It is a brasserie style restaurant and the Olympic is worth seeing.

I also like Tulio for Italian, and even though some consider it touristy, I really like The Athenian in Pike Place Market. It is a great setting and I've never had a bad meal there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, psuboater said:

Here’s my running list:

1) Din Tai Fung/Dough Zone  ($$)- I like both - they are excellent choices for dumplings and noodles. Din Tai Fung is a global chain where Dough Zone is more local, but you can't go wrong with either. These two places are where I'd miss if we left Seattle.

2) Sushi ($$$) -Momji Sushi in Capitol Hill is PHENOMENAL. There are a lot of good sushi places, but this is a standout for me.

3) Salt and Straw ($) - technically a Portland import and growing nationally, but the best ice cream in the country, hands down.

4) Canon ($$$) - expensive, but their craft cocktails are theatre in itself. On the drink menu, the icon next to the drink description is what it will be served in. Some examples - a glass apple, a metal canon, an IV bag, a Nintendo Cartridge....and more!

5) Rhein Haus ($)  is a cozy traditional beer hall with great appetizers.

6) Butcher's Table ($$$$) - is our favorite steak place in the city. I love the ambiance and their steak flights are worth it.

7) Bateau ($$$$) - They were just featured in the NY Times - they pride themselves on using all cuts of meat of the cow - so you'll get cuts that you won't see on most menus. The earlier you can make a reservation in the night, the better- when a cut is gone, it's gone for the evening.

8.  Starbucks Reserve Roastery ($)  -- skip the "original" Starbucks at Pike Place and go to the Roastery and Reserve room in Capitol Hill. It's a Willy Wonka of coffee - with giant copper roasters, artesian sandwiches, craft cocktails and unique Starbucks gifts for the Starbucks obsessed. The proscuitto, parm, and argula on croissant seems like it can be made anywhere but it is so heavenly. 

9. Another Starbucks trick - the Starbucks in Columbia Tower on Floor 40. It's free to go in, and you get views of the city higher than the Space Needle.

10. Craft Beer - We have some of the best craft beer in the country because most hops are grown in Yakima Valley, WA. Be sure to try Reuben's Brews, Fremont Brewing, Cloudburst and Holy Mountain.

11. Some Random Bar ($$) - In Belltown, used to be my go to for Happy Hour. Try the crab nachos and the house made pina colada (for real - wouldn't think Seattle = Pina Colada, but yes, awesome)

12. Dino's Tomato Pie  ($)- If you're missing East Coast pizza, this is the closest thing to it. It's owned by a ex-Jersey guy, and we would happily pay out the nose for delivery to get this pizza. I almost brought it home on the train with me.

13. The Pink Door ($$) - Views of the Sound from Pike Place Market - excellent Italian food, and sometimes there's circus-like acts of entertainment.

14. Quick bites at the Market: Grabbing a Grilled Cheese at Beechers ($) - then walking through the market where the arts and crafts are on the top floor - you'll come to an outdoor patio with views of the sound that's kind of hidden away, and therefore, not as crowded. For a less touristy selection at the market -  Farvahar Persian Cafe ($) is a family run stand that is so good.

15. Copperworks Distillery  ($$) - Located right near the touristy pier, the building is amazing and their spirits are good enough to take home.  

(Still Seattle, but not downtown but worth an Uber):

12. Windy City Pie (Greenlake) ($) - really intereting Chicago style pies

13. Cafe Munir (Ballard/Crownhill)  ($$) - Our favorite local joint in Ballard for Lebanese food - I miss their hummus and garlic sauce so much.

14. Pestle Rock (Ballard) ($$) - This is Northern Thai food - so beyond a Pad Thai and a Curry Chicken - really interesting dishes.

15.  Ray's Boathouse (Ballard) ($$$) - a Seattle staple that's on the water and great seafood.

16.  The Masonry (Fremont)  ($$) - Great coal fired pies and an amazing craft beer selection, with outdoor seating/fire pits.

Being from Seattle, question on on number 10. Are any of these listed down a very long set of stairs with taps covering an entire wall? I can't find the notes from our Alaska cruise pre covid. I had a lovey fish dinner and my husband thought the tartar sauce was the best. This was made in house and they gave me the recipe, so nice. The stairs were a killer after trying a few very nice beers on tap.

Thanks

On 6/14/2024 at 2:47 PM, latebloomer56 said:

Being from Seattle, question on on number 10. Are any of these listed down a very long set of stairs with taps covering an entire wall? I can't find the notes from our Alaska cruise pre covid. I had a lovey fish dinner and my husband thought the tartar sauce was the best. This was made in house and they gave me the recipe, so nice. The stairs were a killer after trying a few very nice beers on tap.

Thanks

#10 are all breweries without food so I don’t think that fits your list. If it was on the water downtown you might have eaten at Anthony’s at Pier 66, and depending where your hotel is, there’s a killer set of stairs back up to the downtown core. 

2 hours ago, psuboater said:

#10 are all breweries without food so I don’t think that fits your list. If it was on the water downtown you might have eaten at Anthony’s at Pier 66, and depending where your hotel is, there’s a killer set of stairs back up to the downtown core. 

Thank you I will check it out. Taking the family next year to Alaska and thought they would enjoy something besides flying fish (if they still do this).

I always make a point to go Owl and Thistle.  It's an old pub, I think in Post Alley.  They say it's haunted.  I always enjoy the Fish and Chips ( I know, not very original, but that is the only place I eat Fish and Chips ANYWHERE...well, maybe except in UK)

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 11:47 AM, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks

I think that is Pike Brewing Company, but I could be very wrong.

I miss Hales Ales.  Their cream ale was to die for.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 3:09 AM, psuboater said:

Your list is excellent.  On the ice cream side of things, the local brand I believe is Molly Moon's.  They are worth a try, too.

My wife is an ice cream nut and seeks out ice cream when we travel, looking for local joints.  I've been taken on so many wild goose chases and close calls getting to the airport on time on the last day some place to try local ice cream, so I've tried a few.  My first exposure to Salt & Straw was one one of our many trips to Portland.  I like their product, but their seasonal flavors can sometimes be a big reach.  I distinctly recall some kind of pickle flavor during Thanksgiving a year or two ago.  It was a bust.  I find some of their flavor combinations just odd.  So beware that the seasonal offerings, usually with some kind of co-branding with a local baker or confectioner or a local farm can be excellent or terrible.  They also have standard flavors which are always in stock, and they are all very good.  I like Molly Moon's a little better, and their flavors aren't so out there.

But the best of the small producers in the U.S. is Jeni's.  They are out of the mid-west someplace and are also growing to become a national brand.  I think they have a smoother texture, and their flavors are more of what you'd expect ice cream to be, but with better ingredients and more intense base flavors.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jeromep said:

Your list is excellent.  On the ice cream side of things, the local brand I believe is Molly Moon's.  They are worth a try, too.

My wife is an ice cream nut and seeks out ice cream when we travel, looking for local joints.  I've been taken on so many wild goose chases and close calls getting to the airport on time on the last day some place to try local ice cream, so I've tried a few.  My first exposure to Salt & Straw was one one of our many trips to Portland.  I like their product, but their seasonal flavors can sometimes be a big reach.  I distinctly recall some kind of pickle flavor during Thanksgiving a year or two ago.  It was a bust.  I find some of their flavor combinations just odd.  So beware that the seasonal offerings, usually with some kind of co-branding with a local baker or confectioner or a local farm can be excellent or terrible.  They also have standard flavors which are always in stock, and they are all very good.  I like Molly Moon's a little better, and their flavors aren't so out there.

But the best of the small producers in the U.S. is Jeni's.  They are out of the mid-west someplace and are also growing to become a national brand.  I think they have a smoother texture, and their flavors are more of what you'd expect ice cream to be, but with better ingredients and more intense base flavors.

Funny you should mention Jenis, I lived in Columbus in the mid 00s before she became national, and was obsessed. Love the Strawberry Buttermilk and the Thai Peanut. I see it from time to time in stores but it hasn’t quite hit the same. 

On 6/13/2024 at 5:19 PM, jeromep said:

A Seattle institution is 13 Coins.  I like it, others may not.  There is one located in the Pioneer Square area a short walk from the football stadium.  Another located in a nondescript office building on the other side of International Blvd outside SeaTac.  They generally have an extensive menu and operate late hours.  Food is basically American or continental.  I make it a point to eat there whenever I'm in Seattle and time and place all work out to get me there.

Be aware that when there are events in the stadiums they use an “event menu” very few choices and no glassware all drinks served in plastic