Pre-Hawaiian/French Polynesia Cruise- Where to Stay

rbslos18

Where have Viking cruisers, who have recently done a Viking Hawaii cruise, stayed one night pre-cruise? We arrive LAX in the late afternoon. In the past we stayed at the Doubletree in San Pedro. People now report workers protesting at the hotel from 7:00AM. We are considering staying midway-ish at Torrance. Any better ideas? (I did post on the West Coast board and most suggested one of the two San Pedro hotels).

Thx

23 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

Where have Viking cruisers, who have recently done a Viking Hawaii cruise, stayed one night pre-cruise? We arrive LAX in the late afternoon. In the past we stayed at the Doubletree in San Pedro. People now report workers protesting at the hotel from 7:00AM. We are considering staying midway-ish at Torrance. Any better ideas? (I did post on the West Coast board and most suggested one of the two San Pedro hotels).

Thx

I would agree with San Pedro hotels. You're going to be experiencing late afternoon traffic but I would rather get to San Pedro and then have a more  relaxed embarkation day.  Anything can happen in LA.  I wouldn't want to be caught in very delayed traffic the next morning worring about getting to the Pier.  There used to be a nice shopping open market type area not too far from the pier. Not sure it's still there but do remember one time killing an hour or so there before boarding.  Have fun.

We, and many other Viking passengers, stayed at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro, near the cruise terminal.  They have a shuttle that takes you over to the terminal, every 30 minutes.  Lots of restaurants around.  Not luxurious, but just fine for a night.

@rbslos18 Is the information about the worker's picket recent? We were there in January and there were protests at that time. Still going on 6 months later?

Just note: the picket was loud (one of them had a bullhorn), but they didn't interfere with guests or enter the hotel.

We weren't thrilled with recent reviews for the two San Pedro hotels (this was last fall) so opted to use miles and stay at Embassy Suites near LAX.  Free airport shuttle, complementary hot breakfast and $43 Lyft to port.  Departed 9am, arrived at port 9:30 and sat in terminal until embarkation at 11am.

• Like 2

I usually stay in Long Beach for San Pedro embarkations, there's a much better selection of hotels and it's a less awful neighbourhood than San Pedro.

Taxi over for embarkation should be easy, and you are near enough to the port for comfort without having to worry about some snarl up on the route from LAX, which can definitely happen.

On 6/16/2024 at 3:30 PM, expattraveler said:

You may consider Long Beach which is not too far away from the San Pedro port. There is a Hilton, Westin, Courtyard and others.

just a thought….

Good advice re the location. Uber to the port from the Long Beach Hyatt was $25. 🥌🍺