Debating on which Itinerary (Panama Canal)

On 6/18/2024 at 8:50 AM, Kp125 said:

If this helps cement your decision, I just got a book from the Panama Canal lecturer on a luxury line. He says “westbound” is a better first passage. It makes the locks more interesting.

Both itineraries that the OP is considering are northbound transits (they both start at the Pacific entrance to the Canal), so the lecturer’s opinion is a non-factor for them. 😊

18 hours ago, Kp125 said:

His rationale is that you enter the triple Gatun Lock system traveling up through the locks than moving down when you enter from the Pacific 

Thanks for the reply. There’s no question that for a ship going through the Gatun Locks, and depending on other traffic (in front of your ship and behind, as well as coming toward you in the other lane), the Atlantic entrance is pretty dramatic.  😊

IMG_0808.thumb.jpeg.182fe7fe16e1ae8acc85b9c2ce48b5c6.jpeg

(photo by turtles06; southbound through the Gatun Locks)

• Like 1

We have only done the canal once on the Gem going through the old locks. This was a 21 day SFO to NYC cruise that visited many of the same ports on the Joy itinerary. While we did not actually port in Panama City, we overnighted in the area to take on special fuel for the canal passage. We started moving towards the first locks around 6AM and exited the other end around 6PM. They may have changed things on these cruises. Seeing whales and dolphins around Cabo was great we also enjoyed the ABC islands. The Jade appears to do more in the Carribean, which because of its starting point is understandable. 

I also agree that the Path between the Seas is a must read for the canal passage. On our passage we had several presentations on the canal as well as pirates and other interesting topics, these were on sea days prior to the canal. We also received certificates of passage as well as a route map of the canal. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2024 at 12:39 PM, BarnCat1 said:

I am tossing around these 2 itineraries.  Any input would be appreciated.  Never been to any of the ports listed. Would probably get to either embarkation port a day or so early. Water activities (other than being on a boat tour) are not of interest. Mostly sightseeing, nature, etc. No children on the cruise. 

I realize the Joy would go through different locks than the Jade.  Would that be something to take into consideration for the first time going?

15-DAY CRUISE ON NORWEGIAN JOY

Panama Canal: Mexico & Colombia

from Los Angeles, California

Sailing

• February, 2025

9 PORTS OF CALL

• Los Angeles, California
  • Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
  • Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
  • Manzanillo, Mexico
  • Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala
  • Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera), Costa Rica
  • Panama City (Pacific Cruise Terminal), Panama
  • Cartagena, Colombia
  • Miami, Florida

11-DAY CRUISE ON NORWEGIAN JADE

Panama Canal: Aruba & Cartagena

from Panama City (Fuerte Amador), Panama

Sailing

• February,2025

8 PORTS OF CALL

• Panama City (Fuerte Amador),Panama
  • Cartagena, Colombia
  • Oranjestad, Aruba
  • Willemstad, Curaçao
  • Basseterre, St. Kitts
  • Tortola, British Virgin Islands
  • Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
  • Miami, Florida

Gee, that is quite the difference in cruise options.

Obviously, one is longer and hits the the west coast of Mexico & Central America, while the other covers some Caribbean spots.

What are your personal feelings about that?

While the shorter cruise will cost less, I assume that the air to Panama is a lot more than to LA.

I'd rather spend more on cruise days than airfare.

As Turtles06 pointed out, there is a shore excursion from Panama City that takes you through the old locks in a smallish boat - now that is up close and personal! You are below the top of the lock walls and pass through 2 sets of locks. Great way to see the old locks. The new locks operate in a totally different fashion, so they have their interesting points as well.

We sailed on the Bliss last January with the same 15 day itinerary that you posted here.

Bottom line is what appeals the most to you: Mexico/Central Am. vs Carib.? Larger ship or moderate size?

3 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Gee, that is quite the difference in cruise options.

Obviously, one is longer and hits the the west coast of Mexico & Central America, while the other covers some Caribbean spots.

What are your personal feelings about that?

While the shorter cruise will cost less, I assume that the air to Panama is a lot more than to LA.

I'd rather spend more on cruise days than airfare.

As Turtles06 pointed out, there is a shore excursion from Panama City that takes you through the old locks in a smallish boat - now that is up close and personal! You are below the top of the lock walls and pass through 2 sets of locks. Great way to see the old locks. The new locks operate in a totally different fashion, so they have their interesting points as well.

We sailed on the Bliss last January with the same 15 day itinerary that you posted here.

Bottom line is what appeals the most to you: Mexico/Central Am. vs Carib.? Larger ship or moderate size?

Yes, it really is quite a difference.  That's why I've been tossing both around.  I like the idea of the smaller ship, but like the Mexico/Central America Itinerary a bit better. I've cruised both sizes of ships.  I am pretty sure I am going with the Joy and doing the excursion through the canal that's been mentioned.  The Caribbean itinerary can be done on many different ships from many other ports.  The canal transit is a once in a lifetime cruise. 

7 minutes ago, BarnCat1 said:

Yes, it really is quite a difference.  That's why I've been tossing both around.  I like the idea of the smaller ship, but like the Mexico/Central America Itinerary a bit better. I've cruised both sizes of ships.  I am pretty sure I am going with the Joy and doing the excursion through the canal that's been mentioned.  The Caribbean itinerary can be done on many different ships from many other ports.  The canal transit is a once in a lifetime cruise. 

I agree with you and think that the Joy would be a great choice.

Personally, I love the big ships!

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

I am pretty sure I am going with the Joy and doing the excursion through the canal that's been mentioned.  The Caribbean itinerary can be done on many different ships from many other ports.  The canal transit is a once in a lifetime cruise. 

Actually, for us, it will be a twice in a lifetime experience. 😜

See you on board...

• Haha 1