Venice Food Tours

jkbec101

2 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

Has anyone done a food tour or a cooking class in Venice?  

Most likely not the answer you're looking for but wander, get lost, and eat. One of my all time favorite cicchetti spots is Enoteca Schiavi-- one of the few spots left that will have as many local Venetians as tourists. Nearby is the equally spectacular Gelateria il Doge-- off that charts good. 

They do have a very nice epicurean school at the Gritti Palace Hotel. Did not take a class but did pop my head in when we were there last and they have cooking classes you can book. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

Searching for "Venice food tour" on this Italy ports thread produced these results.  Not all will be relevant but a few may be

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=venice food tour&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Or try this "pinned" thread at the very top of this Italy Forum. As it is very long you might want to try the SEARCH tool on it.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2796246-italy-all-things-food-and-wine-related/page/3/#comment-62166271

Or  simply try internet searching.  Google may become your new best friend.😀

Have done many of our "personal" food tours.  Just walking down a street, see an interesting display, stop for a bite :).  Over our many visits, our best luck has been with completely unknown places that just looked "right."  That being said, Venice is a tourist city (unless you go into the University area, and we prefer eating out at Burano.

Hank

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 7:33 PM, jkbec101 said:

You could always try googling "Venice food tour reviews" and" Venice cookery classes reviews".

Google really could become your new best friend.😁

Edited by edinburgher

On 6/16/2024 at 7:33 AM, edinburgher said:

You could always try googling "Venice food tour reviews" and" Venice cookery classes reviews".

Google really could become your new best friend.😁

Yes, but I was looking for the experiences of CC members, which have been extremely helpful in the past and come with personal recommendations that may or may not show up on a Google search.

3 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

Yes, but I was looking for the experiences of CC members, which have been extremely helpful in the past and come with personal recommendations that may or may not show up on a Google search.

Could still be a helpful fall back should you get few replies from CC members who actually took time out from exploring Venice and surrounding islands.

Edited by edinburgher

We love taking an organized food tour the first night that we visit a new city. These tours are usually very fun and informative. We like the idea that not only will our guide take us to some great places to eat, they will also give us great advice regarding the city and where to go during the rest of our stay. When we visited Venice for the first time in April, 2022, we booked a food tour through WithLocals with Adair. It was amazing. I am still friends with her on FB. Turns out her husband owned a Bacaro (Small cicchetti bar), which was the first stop on our tour. It was in the same square we were staying. We ended up visiting the Bacaro 11 times during our 4 nights in Venice. Adair sent us links to all the locations and other recommended places through whatsapp after our tour. We did similar tours in Rome and Florence and I highly recommend doing one.