Early disembarkation at Portsmouth

funtastic

Resilient Lady will dock at 6:30am at Portsmouth following a cruise from a European port.

From experience, would anyone please advise what is the earliest time one may expect to self-disembark, thanks.    

2 hours ago, funtastic said:

Resilient Lady will dock at 6:30am at Portsmouth following a cruise from a European port.

From experience, would anyone please advise what is the earliest time one may expect to self-disembark, thanks.    

Virgin haven’t used Portsmouth in two years so there probably won’t be many people to report back. I’ve always got off the ship a bit later so not sure myself, but I wouldn’t expect to get off any earlier than 7.30-8am. They are generally the only cruise line using Portsmouth though, so biggest external delay will be ensuring British immigration is set up if it’s a one way cruise.

Posted (edited)

No experience at Portsmouth, but at Barcelons, Miami, and Athens self disembarkation has usually started about 7:30, sometimes a tiny bit earlier.  It can be later if there are any legal or medical sailors who need to be disembarked first.  And, of course, there are always situations where the ship may arrive late.

Edited by cantgetin

14 hours ago, steve thfc said:

I will need to get off at 730 also. Tottenham vs Arsenal sat sep 14th. Have rock star so should be no issue I assume. 

Rockstar won't help if there is a medical situation on board!  Normal self disembarkation will start some time between 7 and 7:30.

Piggy-backing this to ask another question about Portsmouth disembarkation: What's the earliest (safe) time to book a return flight from Heathrow? 

I wouldn't attempt before 1pm.

On 6/24/2024 at 1:29 PM, Swells1 said:

Piggy-backing this to ask another question about Portsmouth disembarkation: What's the earliest (safe) time to book a return flight from Heathrow? 

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/19/2024 at 7:01 PM, steve thfc said:

I will need to get off at 730 also. Tottenham vs Arsenal sat sep 14th. Have rock star so should be no issue I assume. 

Got moved to Sunday. No rush now..

• 3 weeks later...

From a kind soul on another thread: "you have to board a shuttle bus to get from the terminal to the ship" (one assumes vv as well) seems to suggest Virgin may be docked some distance away to require a shuttle bus to the terminal.

Resilient Lady is expected at Portsmouth on Friday 23 Aug from Barcelona, which will probably give an indication exactly where she will dock. Question is to identify where she will dock, and its accessibility. 

I need to self-disembark early, and shall be thankful for advice if there will be any taxis or UBER private-hire available from the ship-side. Shuttle bus will not of any help for me in a hurry! 

57 minutes ago, funtastic said:

From a kind soul on another thread: "you have to board a shuttle bus to get from the terminal to the ship" (one assumes vv as well) seems to suggest Virgin may be docked some distance away to require a shuttle bus to the terminal.

Resilient Lady is expected at Portsmouth on Friday 23 Aug from Barcelona, which will probably give an indication exactly where she will dock. Question is to identify where she will dock, and its accessibility. 

I need to self-disembark early, and shall be thankful for advice if there will be any taxis or UBER private-hire available from the ship-side. Shuttle bus will not of any help for me in a hurry! 

At Portsmouth in the past (VV cruise in 2021 and 2022) everyone takes a shuttle bus from the ship to the cruise terminal building, because the cruise terminal building is not by the water. Then once through the building you can get taxi or Uber.

Here is the building on Google Maps https://maps.app.goo.gl/V3683aE8g4P6Q45w9?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

The berth where the ship docks is here https://maps.app.goo.gl/EbHU9bEt4R8badH68?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

you can therefore see why a bus is needed through a working port from ship to terminal. You won’t be able to get a taxi until after passing through the terminal building.

I’ve read they opened a new building last year though so I’m not certain if that changed operations or not https://portsmouth-port.co.uk/news/international-port-leads-the-way-as-landmark-sustainable-passenger-terminal-opens/

Posted (edited)

Thank you Jon81uk. Your reply, with accompanying google links, certainly sorts out the geography.

As you remarked in an earlier post, Virgin Voyages had not used Portsmouth in two years, so the muddle will only become clearer when Resilient Lady docks at Portsmouth on Friday.

Cruisemapper shows she will dock across the lake on Whale Island!

ScreenshotPortsmouth.thumb.png.343cef9d879137369f0752cbf01fbd7f.pngPse see attached screenshot: 

Edited by funtastic
typo

Whether VV uses the new terminal or the temporary one it used last time, I would work on the assumption there’ll be shuttle buses as both are some distance from the dock and it’s a working commercial port.

The bus ride is very short (less than 5 minutes) and they run continuously so it shouldn’t delay you too much, but you can rule out ship-side taxis or Ubers.

• Like 1