Silhouette or Odyssey OTS

Cruiscs

Posted (edited)

Which ship would you recommend for a Mediterranean cruise in September?
Odyssey itinerary : Rome- Naples-Athens- Kusadasi- Santorini- Mykonos-Chania-Rome

Silhouette: Athens-Mykonos -Santorini- Chania- Rhodes-Kusadasi-Istanbul (overnight)- Athens 

Have been of Oasis class and Edge class before but not these classes. 30s something couple without kids.

Edited by Cruiscs

My suggestion is if you haven’t done so, do a bit of research on the ports offered and see which appeal.  (There is a lot to see in Istanbul and we would go back.) 

• Like 1

Would do the Silhouette for the following reasons:

Less kids on Celebrity 

better itinerary (Istanbul and Rhodes)

Athens port easier to get to/from than Rome

better food

• Like 3

Thw S class ships are my favorite. I just like the size, the amenities, etc better.  The overnight in Istanbul makes it a no brainer.  Our first cruise with Celebrity after 3 with Royal was a similar itinerary and we picked because they were the only ones offering Istanbul and it was an overnight.  We have done a dozen or so Celebrity trips since then and two on Royal.  Yes, we are older but we just like Celebrity better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Silhouette: Athens-Mykonos -Santorini- Chania- Rhodes-Kusadasi-Istanbul (overnight)- Athens 

We did a similar itinerary on the Constellation a decade ago, and it was great. We started in Istanbul for a few days, then an overnight on the ship before departing for the rest of the ports.  

If you have been to Rome or been to Istanbul but not the other, I'd obviously go with the "new" spot.  If you have been to neither, I'd lean towards Istanbul as that's one place where it could go sideways anytime, and be off the "tourist trail" fairly fast.

The S-class ships are also lovely but our first time on the Sillie (does the Silhouette have a nickname) will be next month.  If it is as nice as the others, you'll enjoy it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

We did a similar itinerary on the Constellation a decade ago, and it was great. We started in Istanbul for a few days, then an overnight on the ship before departing for the rest of the ports.  

If you have been to Rome or been to Istanbul but not the other, I'd obviously go with the "new" spot.  If you have been to neither, I'd lean towards Istanbul as that's one place where it could go sideways anytime, and be off the "tourist trail" fairly fast.

The S-class ships are also lovely but our first time on the Sillie (does the Silhouette have a nickname) will be next month.  If it is as nice as the others, you'll enjoy it.

Thanks. We have been to Rome before but not Athens and Istanbul

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

Thanks. We have been to Rome before but not Athens and Istanbul

All three are worth a visit, so - for me - that would tip the scales to Istanbul and the Sillie.  Of course, all three also warrant longer explorations, so not an absolute deal breaker if you can plan a separate visit to Istanbul later.

Also, if you've never been to Santorini on a cruise, now's the time to start reading the countless threads here about the tendering, the tours, and the long lines at the lift 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

All three are worth a visit, so - for me - that would tip the scales to Istanbul and the Sillie.  Of course, all three also warrant longer explorations, so not an absolute deal breaker if you can plan a separate visit to Istanbul later.

Also, if you've never been to Santorini on a cruise, now's the time to start reading the countless threads here about the tendering, the tours, and the long lines at the lift 🙂

Great advice!  Those ports are just not worth doing via a cruise IMO.

Istanbul is an amazing city and is the reason I'd do the Silhouette.

Odyssey is also geared towards families with kids. Silhouette, while older than Odyssey, is more "adult".

• Like 1

We have sailed the Silhouette 4 times and every sailing (especially the evening we left Taormina, Sicily and watched Mt. Etna erupt from our port side balcony) was fantastic. Add to that, an overnight in Istanbul (which we have also done) and you will have fantastic lifetime memories. 

Posted (edited)

We have been on both the Silhouette and the Odyssey.  We like the Solstice Class better than the Quantum Class ships.  We like Oasis class better than Quantum too.  If we were to choose based on the ship, I'd go with the Silhouette.  I personally like the itinerary of the Odyssey better because I find Rome and Naples more desirable than Istanbul, and would prefer a round-trip out of Rome vs Athens. But its all personal taste.  

Having sailed the Med several times, most Europeans take their family vacation time in July/August, so for a September sailing, I don't expect either ship to be kid heavy (Oasis Class is more kid friendly than Quantum Class IMHO anyways).  

If you have never been to Europe, go Odyssey - it hits Rome, Naples, and Athens which are all huge stops (I'd choose Rome and Naples over Istanbul if you haven't been to any of them).  If you have been to Italy already, go with the Silhouette.  

There is no wrong answer here.  

Edit - never mind - saw you have been to Rome already.  Go with the Silhouette.

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

We have been on both the Silhouette and the Odyssey.  We like the Solstice Class better than the Quantum Class ships.  We like Oasis class better than Quantum too.  If we were to choose based on the ship, I'd go with the Silhouette.  I personally like the itinerary of the Odyssey better because I find Rome and Naples more desirable than Istanbul, and would prefer a round-trip out of Rome vs Athens. But its all personal taste.  

Having sailed the Med several times, most Europeans take their family vacation time in July/August, so for a September sailing, I don't expect either ship to be kid heavy (Oasis Class is more kid friendly than Quantum Class IMHO anyways).  

If you have never been to Europe, go Odyssey - it hits Rome, Naples, and Athens which are all huge stops (I'd choose Rome and Naples over Istanbul if you haven't been to any of them).  If you have been to Italy already, go with the Silhouette.  

There is no wrong answer here.  

Edit - never mind - saw you have been to Rome already.  Go with the Silhouette.

Thanks. Think we will stick with our original plan on the Silhouette. Odyssey was much more expensive. Any reason you like S class better than Quantum class?

Edited by Cruiscs
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Thanks. Think we will stick with our original plan on the Silhouette. Odyssey was much more expensive. Any reason you like S class better than Quantum class?

I don't find those class ships to be much different.  To me, Quantum is just a bigger version of Solstice, but comes with 1k more passengers.  Quantum has some of the typical RCL activities/spaces that I don't really use (flowrider, climbing wall, etc).  Solstice class has the Lawn Club, which I love.  In fact, I think all the outdoor space on Solstice class is nicer.  I like the Two70 on Odyssey....and the little cafe next to it - that has been one of my favorite cafes on any ship.

Edited by Stealthdog