How long to clear immigration on Celebrity first Japan port after Korea

Bfb832cc

We are planning a cruise around Japan on Celebrity, and have a stop in Busan, S. Korea. Then, our next port is Nagasaki, Japan. I have heard cruisers must clear Japanese immigration again after the S. Korea port, and that it may take a while to get off the ship. Can anyone who has experience with going through Japanese immigration following the S. Korea port stop give me an idea of how long to allow to get off the ship? We are thinking of doing a private tour here, and I do not know when I should schedule the start time. Also, if you ask in advance, will Guest Services provide an early slot to clear immigration if you tell them you have a private tour scheduled?

Thank you!

For us, it was 25 minutes.  They gave out numbers of boarding groups, but ignored them and let everyone lined up early immediate access to immigration.  I would count on 25-35 minutes unless you do a Celebrity tour.  This was Hakodate for us.  

17 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

For us, it was 25 minutes.  They gave out numbers of boarding groups, but ignored them and let everyone lined up early immediate access to immigration.  I would count on 25-35 minutes unless you do a Celebrity tour.  This was Hakodate for us.  

Thank you!

This past spring we also went through immigration in Hakodate.  I am surprised that the above poster was able to get through it in 25 minutes.  While there were a number of inspectors the line was all the way out of the cruise terminal.  In our case we are Zenith level members of the Celebrity loyalty program and also were in a Suite so a Retreat Concierge took us to the front of the line.

• Like 1

Perhaps it will help to explain the Japanese system.  When you exit or enter Japan, everyone must go through a face-to-face with at least one Japanese immigration official.  In the case of cruises, it is handled different ways in different ports.  In some places, the Japanese officials will set up shop in a lounge on the ship.  Once they are in place, set-up all their laptops, make sure they are working, then they will start seeing passengers   The ship determines how they want to organize the queue (the general rule is that their excursions will get preference).  You must wait your turn, present yourself (with your Passport) to the Japanese official, and get the appropriate entry or exit stamp.   In some ports, this will be done off the ship in a port building.  

How long does it take?  Roll the dice.  On our most 2023 cruise ( March-April) it varied from about 45 minutes to 2 hours!  Much will depend on how many on your ship, how many Japanese officials, etc.  In April-May of 2023, when we were on the Westerdam, we returned to Japan (from Taiwan) and spent nearly 2 hours waiting in the queue.  Once we finally got to an official we were quickly cleared (and got our Passport Stamp) and then, within 5 minutes, had our Passports checked by 4 other Japanese officials (on the ship and on the pier).  

Will your clearance procedure be faster?  Who knows?  One thing that is certain is that you will need to go through the procedure (the Japanese are anal about following their procedures) whether it take 5 minutes or 5 hours!  But no matter how slow or fast, you can be sure the officials will be polite.

For us, the good news is that when we return to Japan, next year, our ship will have no more than 450 passengers :).   We just hope that the Japanese send more than one official.

Hank

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

This past spring we also went through immigration in Hakodate.  I am surprised that the above poster was able to get through it in 25 minutes.  While there were a number of inspectors the line was all the way out of the cruise terminal.  In our case we are Zenith level members of the Celebrity loyalty program and also were in a Suite so a Retreat Concierge took us to the front of the line.

That’s what it took.  I didn’t anticipate and told my TBL guide to come a little late.  Waited only 10 minutes.  They told people to wait in lounges, but then just said everyone could go.  I’m sure and retreat people had 0-5 minute waits, at most.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

That’s what it took.  I didn’t anticipate and told my TBL guide to come a little late.  Waited only 10 minutes.  They told people to wait in lounges, but then just said everyone could go.  I’m sure and retreat people had 0-5 minute waits, at most.

We were in Hakodate in 2018 when we visited their major attractions and so in 2024 were in no hurry to leave the ship.  We left the ship late morning (the plan was to enjoy a local lunch and also shop for chopsticks) and it took us, with the guidance of a Retreat Concierge, at least 10 (if not 15) minutes to be taken through the long line which snaked outside of the cruise terminal to the front of the line. There we waited a few more minutes before being waved down to an immigration official.

Our OP needs to pay attention to the post by @Hlitner.

Edited by Northern Aurora

6 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We were in Hakodate in 2018 when we visited their major attractions and so in 2024 were in no hurry to leave the ship.  We left the ship late morning (the plan was to enjoy a local lunch and also shop for chopsticks) and it took us, with the guidance of a Retreat Concierge, at least 10 (if not 15) minutes to be taken through the long line which snaked outside of the cruise terminal to the front of the line. There we waited a few more minutes before being waved down to an immigration official.

Our OP needs to pay attention to the post by @Hlitner.

They either figured it out or our cruise lucked out.

Like many things in Japan, Westerners do not entirely understand how Immigration works there.

As in America, different areas have different rules and procedures - which are subject to interpretation and implementation by local / regional Supervisors. 

I have worked on ships sailing around Japan for many years. It is rare that the same port has the same Immigration procedures two visits in a row.

Sometimes Japanese Immigration requires face-to-face inspections at random ports; sometimes they do not. Sometimes they require all inspections to be done onboard; sometimes they require the inspections ashore.Sometimes they insist on searching all hand baggage at the Immigration inspection; sometimes not. Typically Japanese Immigration is very slow and thorough; but sometimes they just wave some - or all - passengers through.

Just be patient and go with the flow.

Thank you all for responding. We have decided we would not have a clue when to meet a private guide since immigration can be so variable (and potentially long), so we have given up on that idea. I appreciate everyone's input on their experiences.