Need some tips for a larger sailing group

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

The biggest group I have traveled with is 12. We all had early seating for dinner so I didn't have to worry about making dining reservations. We have never been on the big ships so there have never been shows to book either. I have planned many trips with first-time cruisers. One piece of advice I will give you is to remember that this is your vacation also. Do not let everyone latch on to you and expect you to plan every minute of every day for them. Encourage them to do some research and to find things that they want to to do. Something we do is have "our spot" near the pool. It's usally the deck above it. This is the spot we congregate at if we want to hang out with the group. If you don't want to hang out with the group, the "rule" is to find another spot and the group will not bother you while you are there. Another thing we do is have a pre-dinner cocktail at one of the bars. One guy in our group is usually in charge of this decision. He'll let everyone know, either in person, or by leaving a voice mail on the cabin phone. If you want to have a drink, we'll see you there. If not, we'll see you at dinner.

I know exactly what you mean about new cruisers "latching" onto your every move.  Been there before and its a tough position to be in.  You want to be kind but also "get away' on your own for a bit.  You are right by stating that up front with your group.  Thanks very much 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bjlbbk said:

I would say it depends on your group and how much they want to stick together. We have cruised in both large and small groups and there are always some who enjoy the flexibility of cruising and do their own thing and others who like being told where and when to show up because they would rather not worry about making their own reservations, etc. (and actually appreciate someone else working out the details on their behalf). You just have to know your group and their overall expectations.

The largest group we have cruised with was a group of 14 and we stuck together when it made sense but we also split off from time to time depending on the activity or time of day. Dinner in the MDR was the one guaranteed time of day that we would all meet up (we had two adjacent tables). For breakfast and lunch everyone was on their own but we still found ourselves running into each other and eating together in small groups.

As for entertainment one person made the show reservations for our entire group based on what worked best with with our dining time. On most nights we all attended but on a couple occasions some choose not to go  (but they were at least covered had they wanted to).

On port days we were all interested in similiar activities so we managed to find independent group tours where we could all stick together. For Labadee and CoCo Cay we got off the boat together and found chairs in the same general area but did our own thing from there (it was nice to have a home base where we could hang together during our down time and find each other if needed). 

Having a few general meeting spots on the ship was helpful too. We tried to stick to the same general areas in the Windjammer, Solarium, theater, etc. to help narrow down our search for each other. Leaving notes on a dry erase board or post it notes on each other’s door were helpful too. 

As for getting a group photo together there were some backdrops that worked better than others. A couple of us scoped out a good spot ahead of time and just let the others know when and where to show up (just prior to dinner). We just showed up and got in line with no issue. As much as I love Central Park that has been those most challenging photo spot though. Grandpa’s tie was flying sideways and long hair was flying everywhere! It’s challenging enough to coordinate that many people all looking in the same direction without adding in all the wind! HA!

Spectacular advice and thanks for the "real life" experiences.  A lot of what you were able to accomplish is what I am hoping for.  We all live in the same city here in Maine and we are going to have a get together by the pool this summer.  I am going to round up all of the advice I get on here and chat about it over a few bottles of Prosecco.  Thanks so much for your input.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Set up a google sheet for the trip
Enter what you're doing
Send the link to others to update at their own discretion

Did this for a large family trip in Europe.
Each party made their own schedules.
Many times something was posted and others joined in as it looked good to them.
Would likely work similar with excursions/ specialty restaurants/ shows/ etc etc
Best part is it's a way of saying "this is what we're doing, here's the info/link to the tour" etc etc and others can figure it out on their own. 

Edited by NateUpNorth
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

By now you've received some great advice, this will be redundant to some level. Look on your ship card, you are on vacation.

We have been on 43 cruises since the Carnival Mardi Gras (me at the old age of 18 in 1976) that included my family and up to 23 people. I am an organizing, Franklin Planner moved to iPad Outlook machine. I have also been miserable listening to complaints about shore excursions, cabin temps, a woman winning the hairy chest competition and more.

Today tell them all you are on vacation, you just happen to be on the same ship together. Plan your excursions and tell them go with you or... not. Once you step aboard the ship let someone with a badge that says Royal handle their needs. I could not be more serious about this. I have had family and friends look like Little Shop of Horrors with the "FEED ME!" look or where do we go now.

Use the group text to communicate. I know I sound like the "get off my lawn" guy, and maybe at sixty-five and six months into a twenty-four month cancer treatment regimen I am.

Here is what we have done for the Alaskan cruise and past three Cozumel runs from here in Galveston:

• I had them all over for fajitas and a swim.
  • We moved to the den and I opened Apple TV and showed photos from the ship(s) and excursion options.
  • I shared reviews from Cruise Critic of the ones that were best and poorly rated.
  • I told them what we had or were planning to book.
  • On the days in port I shared what time my wife and I were headed to the cab stand for Nachi Cocom. Some made it, some didn't.

You and your group will have a great time! Do your part to make it work for your cruise dollar and let the rest sprout wings 🙂

Edited by BallFour4

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Each party made their own schedules.
Best part is it's a way of saying "this is what we're doing, here's the info/link to the tour" etc etc and others can figure it out on their own

Nate! For the win. Come to Texas, let's take our families cruising!

Edited by BallFour4

Have them download the app before the cruise and show them what they can see on it and use the chat feature onboard ship to keep in touch. 

Remind them to put their phones in airplane mode, so no ugly phone bills when they get home.

18 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

By now you've received some great advice, this will be redundant to some level. Look on your ship card, you are on vacation.

We have been on 43 cruises since the Carnival Mardi Gras (me at the old age of 18 in 1976) that included my family and up to 23 people. I am an organizing, Franklin Planner moved to iPad Outlook machine. I have also been miserable listening to complaints about shore excursions, cabin temps, a woman winning the hairy chest competition and more.

Today tell them all you are on vacation, you just happen to be on the same ship together. Plan your excursions and tell them go with you or... not. Once you step aboard the ship let someone with a badge that says Royal handle their needs. I could not be more serious about this. I have had family and friends look like Little Shop of Horrors with the "FEED ME!" look or where do we go now.

You and your group will have a great time! Do your part to make it work for your cruise dollar and let the rest sprout wings 🙂

Love your post!!! 

15 of us are going to the Med in August.  Our first full family trip including our adult kids, their spouses and 7 kiddos.   All our cabins are on the same deck, we have early dining and linked together. But....

while  we found one private excursion for 11 of us who were interested, one family was not interested which is perfectly fine. I started a spreadsheet which kinds of fizzled other than us all having the details about our hotel, transfers to the port and our excursion. 

The rest of the week is up to everyone to do what they want to do in port and the one sea day.  Trust me, I never expected, or should anyone), expect a big group to wander a port together.   For us. as long as we can all have dinner together at least the first night, meet up for a drink or two and see a show or two, am fine with my adults kids and their kids having the best time.         

Biggest group I've been on was 45!! people.  Halloween cruise from Galveston including costumes  It started out just my sister and her family,my DH and I and my mother.  Then neighbors wanted to come.  Then sister's work friends.  Then more family.  More work friends, friends of friends, neighbors of friends.  Everybody knew someone, but nobody knew everyone.  Sounds crazy but we had a blast.  We designated one bar to meet up before dinner if anyone wanted to show up.  We also chose one pool area where some of us went during the day..Show up or not, it's OK..  We all had late seating because we chose to not because we had to..  No children all adults  My mother the only senior citizen but she was the belle of the ball.  We did not try to sit together anywhere so we did not "take over" a place..  Everyone did their own thing during the day and in the evenings.  One of my favorite photos is of the entire group in costume on Halloween.

We are a group of 12 that always cruise together.  This August will be our 9th cruise together.  We have always been able to request a table of 12 together and it's never been a problem.  The past two cruises we weren't sat together (for whatever reason) but on the first day we always go and confirm where we are and speak to the staff if there are problems.  They always say the can't fix it but if your are nice but adamant it will get fixed.  Always by the second night.

We used to use the app to communicate but it's so unreliable we now make sure at least one person in each family group has the internet.  We do not do all meals together - just dinner.  Trying to arrange every meal together just ends up being a pain and too much stress on vacation. Usually whoever eats breakfast first text messages where they are and the others can meet up if they like.

Less structure seems to work best and makes you actually want to do things together because it's not forced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Use the group text to communicate. I know I sound like the "get off my lawn" guy, and maybe at sixty-five and six months into a twenty-four month cancer treatment regimen I am.

Here is what we have done for the Alaskan cruise and past three Cozumel runs from here in Galveston:

• I had them all over for fajitas and a swim.
  • We moved to the den and I opened Apple TV and showed photos from the ship(s) and excursion options.
  • I shared reviews from Cruise Critic of the ones that were best and poorly rated.
  • I told them what we had or were planning to book.
  • On the days in port I shared what time my wife and I were headed to the cab stand for Nachi Cocom. Some made it, some didn't.

BALLFOUR4, thanks so much for your added wisdom!!  I will definitely be adding this to my notes.  Good luck with your treatments (My prayers are with you) as you get better.  If your having a bad day its always acceptable to tell them to GET OFF YOUR LAWN! 😉

5 hours ago, margeecruiser said:

Biggest group I've been on was 45!! people.  Halloween cruise from Galveston including costumes  It started out just my sister and her family,my DH and I and my mother.  Then neighbors wanted to come.  Then sister's work friends.  Then more family.  More work friends, friends of friends, neighbors of friends.  Everybody knew someone, but nobody knew everyone.  Sounds crazy but we had a blast.  We designated one bar to meet up before dinner if anyone wanted to show up.  We also chose one pool area where some of us went during the day..Show up or not, it's OK..  We all had late seating because we chose to not because we had to..  No children all adults  My mother the only senior citizen but she was the belle of the ball.  We did not try to sit together anywhere so we did not "take over" a place..  Everyone did their own thing during the day and in the evenings.  One of my favorite photos is of the entire group in costume on Halloween.

I belong to a volunteer fire department. 2001 was the department's 75th anniversary. We decided to do a cruise as part of our year-long celebration. It was my first cruise. There were 44 of us! We knew with a group that big it would be impossible to schedule a lot of events together so we all did our own thing with many of us doing things together but not all of us. The only event we did together was a cocktail hour RCI did for us with drinks and hors d' oeuvres. My wife and I have cruised exclusively with RCI since then and are now Diamnd members. Our department's 100th anniversary is coming up in 2 years and I'm starting to plan another cruise to celebrate it.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 2:23 PM, ticketsunlimited said:

I am a big planner and could really use some help from some of you cruisers who have sailed with a larger party in the past.  We started at 6 and now we are at a large number of 17.  14 Adults, 13yo, 9 yo, and 5 yo.  5 adults with RCCL cruises under their belt. 3 never cruised and 9 never cruised RCCL.  I am more excited to introduce the newbies to Royal.

We sail 3/9/25 out of Miami on Symphony.  Coco Cay, Nassau, Jamaica, and Labadee (if  available)

We all have cabins on deck seven.  Most of us have balconies (some have insides) near the aft elevators. There are 7 cabins total.  I have most reservations linked to my account but have to add 2 more.  We all have the 3 night dining packages.  This is where I could use some advice from those that have had larger groups in the past. 

First off, what is the largest group they will allow together in the dining room?  We all have MY Time 

Second, will I be able to book all the entertainment for all of us when it gets released for the shows under my linked reservations?

3rd, I know its tough enough when getting on board to get decent times for specialty restaurants for just a table of four.  Has anybody booked a group this large in the specialty restaurants with any luck in the past?

Boarding, departure, night before stays, flights...we will figure out on our own.  We will obviously use some of our D+ knowledge to help in the process. 

Thanks so much in advance and I am up for any and all suggestions for anything that will make the cruise more enjoyable.  Dan 

Don’t try to eat in big groups, break up with 6 per table and rotate, quicker service. Get compass ahead of time to plan for theme parties, 50’s or disco.

Try to find a buffet area that is less crowded for your group sometimes outside. Specialty restaurants go see maitre de for long group table but might be better with groups of 4 nearby each other. Definitely t shirts for group! We’ve been doing family 18 or more and have learned. 

• Like 1