Live - NCL Prima - 06/23-07/04/2024 - Southampton, Belgium, Amsterdam, Norway and Iceland - Is it more beautiful than Alaska?

On 6/28/2024 at 1:16 PM, Seas2mountains said:

We had such a beautiful day in Geiranger yesterday. It was definitely a highlight of the cruise so far. We were told Geiranger may stop allowing cruise ships beginning two years from now. The cruise through the fjord was better than any excursion.   Here are photos from the bus ride and excursion up to Dalsnibba Mountain. 

The first few photos show Prima when we were at about 1000 feet, 2000 feet and 4700 feet where it looks

IMG_2186.jpeg

IMG_2188.jpeg

IMG_2205.jpeg

IMG_2210.jpeg

Beautiful! Which fjord does the ship sail down/into? I’m second guessing going on a fjord cruise in Alesund now. Seems like it might be redundant.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 4:39 AM, Ellis1138 said:

We self disembarked. No line at 7:30 am.

Our rental car was not towed from the lot, so we put our luggage in and drove around before our Sky Lagoon appointment. 

It was a good cruise,  even if our deck had what I called the "Homeless teenager stair encampment. "

I am so excited to see someone actually rented a car and parked it overnight at the lot! There hasn’t been any info on this. Can you advise where the lot it and why do you act surprised it wasn’t towed? Lol I guess no clear signage on parking? Finally, is the lot a long walk or short walk from the ship? My dad uses a cane and can’t walk too far. Or maybe we can walk to get it and swing closer to pick him up?

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 8:51 AM, ontheweb said:

This discussion has seemed to come to an end. It's sad, sort of like when your cruise ends and you have to disembark. <sigh>

Yes, it is sad but the count down for our next cruise is beginning to get closer.  In the meantime, I  will enjoy the other live reviews.  Thank you again for all you contributed to this live review from your past experiences! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HedyB said:

Thanks for the great thread! Loved your pictures and reviews. We'll be taking this same route in *gasp* 39 days!!

Thank you for your kind words! Have a wonderful cruise in 38 days!😀

• Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 1:43 PM, Ellis1138 said:

This is similar to our Bruges. We grabbed the NCL "Bruges on your own", which is basically just a more convenient bus (you exit the ship and don't need to worry about the free shuttle out of the industrial area,)  With the $50 excursion credit and then the 10% silver latitude discount, it was $44.10 per person for the round trip, which I felt was quite reasonable.

If you use a private cab (which I have heard is 120e total), do you recall if those were a long or short walk from ship? 

52 minutes ago, conandrob240 said:

Looking forward to reading the rest of this but do you know how late they were? What time do they typically board?

We have typically embarked as early as 10:45am-11:30am on NCL with it beginning at 11am in most locations. The delay was due to immigration in the UK.

46 minutes ago, conandrob240 said:

Beautiful! Which fjord does the ship sail down/into? I’m second guessing going on a fjord cruise in Alesund now. Seems like it might be redundant.

The fjord in Geiranger is called.....Geirangerfjord. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seas2mountains said:

We have typically embarked as early as 10:45am-11:30am on NCL with it beginning at 11am in most locations. The delay was due to immigration in the UK.

Specifically we are on same exact itinerary so asking about Prima in Southhampton. We want to be there waiting for the ship to baord(we like that excitement). We are Haven and are leaving central London at 8am- think that will be a good time to leave? Thank you!

21 minutes ago, conandrob240 said:

I am so excited to see someone actually rented a car and parked it overnight at the lot! There hasn’t been any info on this. Can you advise where the lot it and why do you act surprised it wasn’t towed? Lol I guess no clear signage on parking? Finally, is the lot a long walk or short walk from the ship? My dad uses a cane and can’t walk too far. Or maybe we can walk to get it and swing closer to pick him up?

I also use a stick to walk. My biggest challenge was the angle of the Prima gangway at Reykjavik. 

The "lot" is maybe an 8 minute hobble, once you clear the terminal building and cross the taxi/bus pickup lanes and then you cross the Skarfagardur street to the lot that is NOT the little ferry lot. They're separated. It's extremely confusing and even more worrying because when you go into the lot that Samskip told me to park in, there's all these signs in Icelandic that say tow away zone.

We managed to find a parking spot along the southwestern edge of the parking lot that did not have any signs for it. The Google Maps photo is very old, so not accurate. 

Anyway, I fretted about the car being towed overnight. It was not towed. 

If he has difficulty walking, someone could get the car and then pull into the pick up zone at the cruise terminal, I guess.

I wish I could guarantee the safety of rental cars parked in that lot, but the signs are very confusing. Also, trying to find a place to park downtown was just as confusing and we parked at the Foss Hotel Baron and walked from there.

And the gas stations are heart-attack inducing. A) Do NOT choose fill up, choose a set amount. B) The gas station will then put a $150 authorization hold on the credit card you're using, so make sure you have one with a decent credit limit. 

Anyhow, if you want to be sure or have some sort of email trail, email agency@samskip.com and specifically say you'll be on the Prima at Skarfabakki 312 on (overnight date) and are worried about the tow away signs in the lot and where should you park.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ellis1138 said:

I also use a stick to walk. My biggest challenge was the angle of the Prima gangway at Reykjavik. 

The "lot" is maybe an 8 minute hobble, once you clear the terminal building and cross the taxi/bus pickup lanes and then you cross the Skarfagardur street to the lot that is NOT the little ferry lot. They're separated. It's extremely confusing and even more worrying because when you go into the lot that Samskip told me to park in, there's all these signs in Icelandic that say tow away zone.

We managed to find a parking spot along the southwestern edge of the parking lot that did not have any signs for it. The Google Maps photo is very old, so not accurate. 

Anyway, I fretted about the car being towed overnight. It was not towed. 

If he has difficulty walking, someone could get the car and then pull into the pick up zone at the cruise terminal, I guess.

I wish I could guarantee the safety of rental cars parked in that lot, but the signs are very confusing. Also, trying to find a place to park downtown was just as confusing and we parked at the Foss Hotel Baron and walked from there.

And the gas stations are heart-attack inducing. A) Do NOT choose fill up, choose a set amount. B) The gas station will then put a $150 authorization hold on the credit card you're using, so make sure you have one with a decent credit limit. 

Anyhow, if you want to be sure or have some sort of email trail, email agency@samskip.com and specifically say you'll be on the Prima at Skarfabakki 312 on (overnight date) and are worried about the tow away signs in the lot and where should you park.

Thanks so much for this! Not exactly reassuring with the parking but at least I know what I’m dealing with. This also convinces me to go with the AirBnb outside of Reykjavik with parking!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, conandrob240 said:

Specifically we are on same exact itinerary so asking about Prima in Southhampton. We want to be there waiting for the ship to baord(we like that excitement). We are Haven and are leaving central London at 8am- think that will be a good time to leave? Thank you!

That’s a good time to leave London and you can be waiting in the terminal eating second breakfast or first lunch in the Haven area while waiting to embark. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

Yes, it is sad but the count down for our next cruise is beginning to get closer.  In the meantime, I  will enjoy the other live reviews.  Thank you again for all you contributed to this live review from your past experiences! 

Thank you I truly enjoyed reading your cruise experience, I hope my observations bout our cruise with the same (at least same POSTED) itinerary also helped with transmitting information about this cruise,

30 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Thank you I truly enjoyed reading your cruise experience, I hope my observations bout our cruise with the same (at least same POSTED) itinerary also helped with transmitting information about this cruise,

Ontheweb can you please link to your own live trip review of this cruise?

4 hours ago, conandrob240 said:

Ontheweb can you please link to your own live trip review of this cruise?

Had to go back almost 100 pages of my posts, but here it is:

I don't know where that picture came from, not from one of my posts.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Had to go back almost 100 pages of my posts, but here it is:

I don't know where that picture came from, not from one of my posts.

And here is an update on the medical from this thread (there is another thread about it, but I am not looking to find it.

I had posted that DW went to the ship's medical and then her home doctor when the condition did not get better. I also posted we did not end up needing our travel insurance as our secondary (Medicare as a primary was not going to pay.) paid the entire amount.

Well, not that much later she ended up first in an ambulance, then an emergency room, and finally a hospital bed. This was not simple constipation, take an OTC drug. It ended up she had a twisted bowel 😢! If this had progressed quicker and she needed hospitalization and medical transportation, our travel insurance would truly have been a necessity.

She was fine after the hospitalization and is still fine.