LIVE (almost) from QM2 Transatlantic June 23 to June 29

Joe33472

10 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Hi S1971

I guessed you haven't yet sailed on QM2.

The GLP is not the same, with the QM2  main TV situated at the corner of the bar, unlike the Vistas GLP's that have additional TV's.

It makes quite a difference

In that case, I guess the moral of the story is do as they did, get in early if you want the best seats, can't see how they can be criticised for that.

People simply can't expect to get a seat if they turn at kick off, whether that be on a ship or local pub.

Edited by S1971
Spelling!!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, techteach said:

This has been a great string of fun to follow. I have enjoyed seeing new names posting, and some will be with me on the 18 day Dec. TA, and I hope we meet. Thanks to @Joe33472 for all of the hard work of posting such great information. I hope your SO has ended the voyage happy.

Thanks for the post.  I had a really great time posting and sharing things along the way.

I think my SO had a good time and that she can definitely see us taking the QM2 again.  She keeps mentioning that she wants to see some of the other cabin classes, in particular a sheltered balcony. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Thanks for the post.  I had a really great time posting and sharing things along the way.

I think my SO had a good time and that she can definitely see us taking the QM2 again.  She keeps mentioning that she wants to see some of the other cabin classes, in particular a sheltered balcony. 

Really enjoyed reading of your experiences, thank you for taking the time to post. If you're still onboard I'm sure you could get a peep into some of the other cabin categories; we've done that on various lines including Cunard on disembarkation day, although I think you said you were leaving early so perhaps not. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

Really enjoyed reading of your experiences, thank you for taking the time to post. If you're still onboard I'm sure you could get a peep into some of the other cabin categories; we've done that on various lines including Cunard on disembarkation day, although I think you said you were leaving early so perhaps not. 

Yes, the plan at this point is for fast-track departure.  We're thinking that we might walk down the halls when cleaning is happening this morning to see if we can peek in a cabin.  We might get a good sense just looking through an open door of the size. The good thing about QM2 is that she's been around so long, there are so many room tours on YouTube, reviews galore, etc.  Easy to do research. 

Thanks for following along.   Our last day onboard today and we're looking forward to checking off some bucket list experiences.   But there is always next time 🤣...

• Like 4

Thanks for all your effort @Joe33472 with your almost live blog.

It's refreshing to see not only the good but some of the negative aspects to the cruise, especially on embarkation day, thankfully things improved and despite further issues here and there you are seriously considering doing it again.

Have a safe onward journey 👍

• Like 4

What would be useful is to also hear your top-5 most favourite entertainment options that you experienced on the ship ... was is the big ticket items shows? was it the Comedy show?  Was there a magic show? or maybe it was the Live Lectures?  I see the daily programme is enormous and I wish there was some way to filter it, to just the most well-received events. Something like we do with Reviews of restaurants, each gets a "score" :)  and we can choose a restaurant based on how others have reviewed it and what score they gave it. 

• Like 1

@Joe33472 thank you for your response on this most interesting crossing. 

Enjoyed all the photos, programmes, menus and photos.

We enjoy Britannia Club and Princess Grill classes. Not really QG people.

Looks like still a good day for you tomorrow. Cloudy 80/74 10% chance of rain. Sounds like a typical NYC day. Again, you can try to see the Bridge from your QG balcony.

Hope to meet you one day on board....Safe travels home.......

• Like 2

Terrible news, 

We are about 1 hr behind schedule but that means we will miss the tidal windows to dock... 

The current ETA is about 10:00. 

There will be an update at noon. 

The 4 hours delay will probably affect a lot of people with onward connection, and I will certainly be missing my flight departing from EWR at 1300. 

Edited by leyland1989
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, olegna said:

just received the following.What happened?

image.thumb.png.c078a6e44b243f9a43f58f4f5f5bc1a6.png

The captain announced around 11:15 a.m. that because of the weather we are delayed getting into NY.   That we're really only about 1.5 hours late, but because of the tides, we can't access the harbor until 4 hours late.  We did hit some rough weather along the way, but it seemed like we went 24 knots or 23 knots most of the crossing. 

Edited by Joe33472
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

The captain announced around 11:15 a.m. that because of the weather we are delayed getting into NY.   That we're really only about 1.5 hours late, but because of the tides, we can't access the harbor until 4 hours late.  We did hit some rough weather along the way, but it seemed like we went 24 knots or 23 knots most of the crossing. 

Average speed of 23-24 is REQUIRED for 6 days crossing... 

We went about 21-22 kts for a little bit due to high winds, that put us behind schedule. 

We *could* have gone 28 kts to make up time but If the "rumour" about one of the gas turbines being INOP is true, 25kts is pretty much our top speed with no room to spare. 

Edited by leyland1989
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, leyland1989 said:

Terrible news, 

We are about 1 hr behind schedule but that means we will miss the tidal windows to dock... 

The current ETA is about 10:00. 

There will be an update at noon. 

The 4 hours delay will probably affect a lot of people with onward connection, and I will certainly be missing my flight departing from EWR at 1300. 

What is causing the delay?  On the cruisemapper website, the QM2 seems like it's still roughly where it should be, in order to make it to NYC?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kordy said:

What would be useful is to also hear your top-5 most favourite entertainment options that you experienced on the ship ... was is the big ticket items shows? was it the Comedy show?  Was there a magic show? or maybe it was the Live Lectures?  I see the daily programme is enormous and I wish there was some way to filter it, to just the most well-received events. Something like we do with Reviews of restaurants, each gets a "score" 🙂 and we can choose a restaurant based on how others have reviewed it and what score they gave it. 

Hey Kordy, I didn't mention this during the prior posts, but my SO's sister went into the hospital just before the cruise and during the cruise was admitted into the ICU.  She's still in the hospital (out of ICU) and doing a little better, thank goodness, but a good portion of our time onboard has been calls to family members, the hospital, etc.  We also felt a little guilty having too much fun and really not in the mood for entertainment.   So, I wouldn't be the best judge of what entertainment was best.  I also think that entertainment is largely about personal preferences. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Joe33472 said:

Hey Kordy, I didn't mention this during the prior posts, but my SO's sister went into the hospital just before the cruise and during the cruise was admitted into the ICU.  She's still in the hospital (out of ICU) and doing a little better, thank goodness, but a good portion of our time onboard has been calls to family members, the hospital, etc.  We also felt a little guilty having too much fun and really not in the mood for entertainment.   So, I wouldn't be the best judge of what entertainment was best.  I also think that entertainment is largely about personal preferences. 

Sorry to hear that ... hope she recovers and gets better.

RE: entertainment - I was only enquiring about the big-item shows (aka "Broadway shows at seas"), such as the ones in the theatre, I know there is one called "Be Our Guest" where it's a dancing/music/singing extravaganza.  On prior cruises, there are usually 2 productions a day, which are the big-ticket items and are "must-see" and are usually highlighted in the daily program, not to be missed..

I wonder how QM2 does it.

ALSO: I'm a fan of the magic shows, and stand-up comedy shows.  Not sure if these are even offered!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kordy said:

What is causing the delay?  On the cruisemapper website, the QM2 seems like it's still roughly where it should be, in order to make it to NYC?  

Weather set us back 1.5 hr, the tide conditions required to dock set us back to 4 hrs. 

1 hour ago, leyland1989 said:

Best wishes to you and others affected by the delay. I hope you can enjoy that beautiful weather once you get the flight changes sorted out. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1