Solo cruiser on Symphony

29 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The poster seems to be worried about doing those extra things as a solo - not sure the larger number of things and bigger ship factor much into that fear.

Yes... it is not intimidating for sure.

It is a great ship. Our previous cruise was on Vision which we also love for many different reasons. We did not feel Symphony was in any way intimidating.

If I was solo... I'd spend more time in Central Park listening to Jazz. It is amazing! I am glad they removed Jazz lounge ... now Jazz  is performed in many cool places

20 hours ago, grouchomarx said:

Symphony. I will be traveling alone. .... I have cruised many times but never alone ....

I want to do and see everything and I’m very into specialty dining. I’ve been on Anthem twice

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

More musics in various venues

In addition to 2 great Production shows there are

2 amazing Ice shows!!!

Water show

Zipline, mini golf, great waterslides

Jazz group is amazing and they perform everywhere for many hours - in Central Park, on Promenade in Dazzles.

Central park is an attraction on its own... also bar that goes from Promenade to Central park.

I only quoted Tatka's thoughts here to increase the value of my post.....

I really think the only people who should be giving the OP advice are those who truly have sailed solo, and especially on oasis Class. I have sailed solo often on RC for more than 10 years... in the past year alone solo on Symphony, Harmony & Oasis. If, like Tatka points out, you are super interested in all the shows and activities, note that during those shows and activities you will not be interacting with anyone. There are shows/activities everyday that will take up all your time, therefore your chances of meeting people and connecting are almost zero.

Also, with 2-3 shows going on at the exact same time, those people you will be sitting beside in the various shows, at the various bars, in the various venues, will almost always be different everyday of the cruise... it will be like day 1 every day on any cruise whereby you don't know anyone, even on day 7.

My point is, Oasis has been my least favorite ship to cruise solo. There are a majority of groups that are involved within themselves (ie. families & couples alike). You will also rarely meet anyone on day 1 that you will see again for the rest of the cruise. If you go to specialty dining, you're sitting alone... then a show, the lights dim, and you're sitting alone.... then the bar for example, where you may meet someone for the first time.

Conversely, and as twangster and Biker has seen on our last cruise on Jewel, on the smaller ships (like Radiance and Vision classes) I get to know a ton of people including staff. I see them everyday. It's fun. We get to see shows together the odd time, you get to plan dinner together. And often even plan excursions together. During game shows, many people know who you are.... so much easier and enjoyable cruising solo (for me) on the smaller ships. I am an extrovert and like knowing people... if you are an introvert, then Oasis will be just fine.

My 2 cents from experience on all classes of RC ships.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I only quoted Tatka's thoughts here to increase the value of my post.....

I really think the only people who should be giving the OP advice are those who truly have sailed solo, and especially on oasis Class. I have sailed solo often on RC for more than 10 years... in the past year alone solo on Symphony, Harmony & Oasis. If, like Tatka points out, you are super interested in all the shows and activities, note that during those shows and activities you will not be interacting with anyone. There are shows/activities everyday that will take up all your time, therefore your chances of meeting people and connecting are almost zero.

Also, with 2-3 shows going on at the exact same time, those people you will be sitting beside in the various shows, at the various bars, in the various venues, will almost always be different everyday of the cruise... it will be like day 1 every day on any cruise whereby you don't know anyone, even on day 7.

37 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

My point is, Oasis has been my least favorite ship to cruise solo. There are a majority of groups that are involved within themselves (ie. families & couples alike). You will also rarely meet anyone on day 1 that you will see again for the rest of the cruise. If you go to specialty dining, you're sitting alone... then a show, the lights dim, and you're sitting alone.... then the bar for example, where you may meet someone for the first time.

Conversely, and as twangster and Biker has seen on our last cruise on Jewel, on the smaller ships (like Radiance and Vision classes) I get to know a ton of people including staff. I see them everyday. It's fun. We get to see shows together the odd time, you get to plan dinner together. And often even plan excursions together. During game shows, many people know who you are.... so much easier and enjoyable cruising solo (for me) on the smaller ships. I am an extrovert and like knowing people... if you are an introvert, then Oasis will be just fine.

My 2 cents from experience on all classes of RC ships.

Everyone has a different perspective.   I've sailed on Harmony, Oasis multiple times and many times on Anthem and always met friendly and wonderful folks.  On one of my sails on Anthem I was placed with 5 women in the MDR and held my own.🤣  I'm one that love the mega ships.

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

... but sometimes when you book as a solo they charge more than double the price. For example, I was looking at a cruise for this July and if I book it for 2 people it's $4400, but if I book it for 1 person it's $5900. 

Are you comparing the same cabin category (4V, 4D, etc.)  when pricing double vs. solo?  Double often has GTY available, while solo is hit or miss having GTY. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Everyone has a different perspective. 

Yep 👍

Just my 2 cents, not someone else's experience.... and you got to see those same table mates at dinner everyday (proving my point a little bit I think)

Edited by Hoopster95

34 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

while solo is hit or miss having GTY.

I have never come across a solo guarantee, unless it's a studio.  However, I usually opt for the double occupancy.