Recent Grandeur Athens to Istanbul

On the last day in Istanbul the day before disembarkation to our horror as we were staying onboard for a last swim the pool was emptied without any  notice being given. I have not come across this since the QE2 in 1970s.

is this normal?

45 minutes ago, oceanviewer21 said:

On the last day in Istanbul the day before disembarkation to our horror as we were staying onboard for a last swim the pool was emptied without any  notice being given. I have not come across this since the QE2 in 1970s.

is this normal?

Perhaps it was scheduled for cleaning.  If that is horrifying, lucky you because your life is pretty darn good.

36 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

Perhaps it was scheduled for cleaning.  If that is horrifying, lucky you because your life is pretty darn good.

Perhaps it shouldn't have been scheduled for cleaning when paying guests were still onboard and looking forward to the amenity. There can't be a "yes, but" excuse for everything.

4 minutes ago, fizzy said:

Perhaps it shouldn't have been scheduled for cleaning when paying guests were still onboard and looking forward to the amenity. There can't be a "yes, but" excuse for everything.

I maintain there could have been a very good reason for the pool to be closed.  Maybe the cruise line is required to clean the pool before new guests come on board.  Who knows - it is not something to be horrified about.

22 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

I maintain there could have been a very good reason for the pool to be closed.  Maybe the cruise line is required to clean the pool before new guests come on board.  Who knows - it is not something to be horrified about.

What if the cruise line is required to do an extensive alcohol inventory protocol before new guests come onboard... as in no available included booze for the paying guests? I think that, short of some sort of an emergency, people would like to feel that they receive the experience that they paid for.

44 minutes ago, fizzy said:

What if the cruise line is required to do an extensive alcohol inventory protocol before new guests come onboard... as in no available included booze for the paying guests? 

But they don't. 

9 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

But they don't. 

And I'm quite sure that there are no announcements that the pool will be closed to guests on the last day of a cruise so the same would apply.

1 minute ago, fizzy said:

And I'm quite sure that there are no announcements that the pool will be closed to guests on the last day of a cruise so the same would apply.

Did you ask why it was closed?

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

What if the cruise line is required to do an extensive alcohol inventory protocol before new guests come onboard... as in no available included booze for the paying guests? I think that, short of some sort of an emergency, people would like to feel that they receive the experience that they paid for.

Oh man - now that would be a reason to be horrified.  Also, the pools are not open 24/7.  In order to vacate their suite on time, perhaps they went to the pool before it was open for the day.  Or else, Regent was deviously trying to make sure they had the most horrible cruise of a lifetime.

I've list all the possible reasons the pool may be closed - cleaning, open hours, required regulations, etc.  I would like to hear what the OP says about why the pool was closed and if it was really horrifying or just disappointing/annoying.

Perhaps someone had been incontinent in the pool?  Vomited?  Now THAT would be "horrifying" and would definitely require shutting down the pool for a thorough disinfection.  

Let's see whether we get more information as to the cause. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/21/2024 at 4:24 PM, jjs217 said:

By all means clean it before new guests if that is a regulation but the first day in Istanbul is the day before the new guests arrive and part of the normal cruise schedule.Besides there is no excuse not informing us that it will be drained)

8 minutes ago, oceanviewer21 said:

By all means clean it before new guests if that is a regulation but the first day in Istanbul is the day before the new guests arrive and part of the normal cruise schedule.Besides there is no excuse not informing us that it will be drained)

Okay.  I guess I've just never seen the pool closed all day, unless it was a rough sea day.  

On 6/21/2024 at 3:22 PM, NDOMA said:

Perhaps someone had been incontinent in the pool?  Vomited?  Now THAT would be "horrifying" and would definitely require shutting down the pool for a thorough disinfection.

I agree. The most likely reason the pool was closed would be the need for a thorough cleaning because someone "contaminated" it.