Mosquitoes: Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan & Nugget Falls Trail

CruiseMom88

Hi,

I've read conflicting information re: mosquitoes in Alaska.  Specifically, is anyone able to clarify mosquito situation for the following?  Thanks!

Time:  AUGUST (2nd week approximately)

1)  Juneau, Skagway, Ketichan:  main port area (eg. where the shops & buildings are) and any close surrounding park like areas

2)  Mendenhall Glacier:  Nugget Falls Trail to the water fall

3)  Docked at the ports:  Do the mosquitoes make it out as far as the cabin balconies when docked at the ports?  Would like to enjoy our balcony without fear of being eaten by mosquitoes.  We sometimes have a bad reaction to getting bitten.

4)  Type of repellent:  Any suggestions regarding good repellents?  Deet?  Picaridin?  Both types work?  One better than the other?

5)  Just curious:  how's the current mosquito situation now in June?

We're mosquito magnets so would like to mentally prepare for what's to come.

Thanks!

In the downtown port areas of Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway you will not have issues with mosquitos.  I doubt you will have any issues at the Nugget Falls trail.  And when the ships is docked at any of the afore mentioned ports I will be shocked if you see even a single little mosquito while on your stateroom balcony.

Mosquitos breed in standing pools of water.  They don't breed in salt water.

Regarding repellent we use the "wet wipe" type of foiled wrapped wipes when needed in such areas as Wonder Lake area of Denali National Park.  And since the single road into DNP is closed at the Pretty Rocks area tourists can't even access Wonder Lake.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Northern Aurora said:

In the downtown port areas of Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway you will not have issues with mosquitos.  I doubt you will have any issues at the Nugget Falls trail.  And when the ships is docked at any of the afore mentioned ports I will be shocked if you see even a single little mosquito while on your stateroom balcony.

Mosquitos breed in standing pools of water.  They don't breed in salt water.

Regarding repellent we use the "wet wipe" type of foiled wrapped wipes when needed in such areas as Wonder Lake area of Denali National Park.  And since the single road into DNP is closed at the Pretty Rocks area tourists can't even access Wonder Lake.

Thanks for the info.  Glad to hear that we won't be feeding the mosquitoes.

• Haha 1

In all of my trips to Alaska, the only times that I've seen mosquitos is when hiking in the woods, far from the downtown port areas.  Two times that I can remember was Lower Dewey Lake and Smuggler's Cove, both in Skagway.  The only time I got bit was at Smuggler's Cove, and it swelled up huge and didn't go away for well over a week.  I had a bottle of plain old Off (not even "deep woods" stuff) and I doused the whole family after I got bit, and nobody else got bit after that.

Just came back from a 7 day one way cruise + 4 day dyi road trip (Seward, Alyeska & Girdwood, Palmer & Matanuska). The only place I had mosquito bites were close to Glacier view in the sheep mountain lodge for lunch. All other places were mosquito free. 

Yukon tour, mid june.  Very warm & sunny in every port on this cruise.  Only place I recall mosquitoes being a major problem was on this tour, and every time  the van doors opened to let us out at a stop - more mosquitoes flew in.  Big and hungry - must love the sightseeing visitors.  No problem at all when I took this same tour in early may.  But everything  was frozen, lots of snow on the ground, Emerald Lake frozen except for a tiny sliver of green at the perimeter of the lake.  

On 6/22/2024 at 1:20 AM, CruiseMom88 said:

4)  Type of repellent:  Any suggestions regarding good repellents?  Deet?  Picaridin?  Both types work?  One better than the other?

I just learned recently that Deet is hard on gear - for example, if you have it on your hands and then transfer it to binoculars or the handles of trekking poles.  A recent Wirecutter review indicated that Picardin worked as well as Deet, and is safer for gear.  I'm bringing a bottle of Sawyer 20% Picardin for our upcoming Alaska cruise as I'm a mosquito magnet.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bug-repellent/

• Thanks 1

I've been using Picardin for about 5 years (I'm a huge bug magnet and get very large blisters). It is just as effective as Deet without the smell. It is also less harmful to the wearer than Deet, though still shower once you have left the mosquito area, as well as kinder to clothing and equipment. 

• Thanks 1