Filthy balcony on Iona

3 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

I have to say, and dont take this as criticism, I would have told the cabin steward on day 1.  Regardless of how much he is paid or how busy he is, that is just rank and unacceptable.  If he couldnt clean it then there is somebody else on the ship who could!

In that case...hair today ,gone tomorrow.

• Haha 4

It's a fair criticism that I should have mentioned it to the steward early in my cruise. I guess a combination of not wishing to give the guy extra work and not using my balcony that much lead me to "ignoring" the problem. Plus like on the FB pages it's fun to watch the loyalists meltdown. The fact is P&O should have a cleaning schedule that sees the balconies hosed down on a regular schedule. It's quite clear mine hadn't been done for a long time.

I also love the discussion over whats a pube and what's not. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wetterthanwater said:

The fact is P&O should have a cleaning schedule that sees the balconies hosed down on a regular schedule

They do but it is dependant on the itinerary as it can only be done when in port and I believe that some ports don't allow it. I have had balconies hosed down on several occasions - there is a note about it in the daily "hymn sheet" and on top of that the cabin steward will also clean the outside of the windows about once a week.

Last year on Ventura a couple we were meeting for the evening dinner in the MDR found knickers in one of there drawers and another passenger had a full wardrobe of clothes still in his cabin. The pubes on the balcony was just someone fannying about I'd say ?

• Haha 2

I’ve never seen anything as disgusting as this but on our last cruise (MSC not P&O) I added one of those window cleaners with a longish handler to my things to pack. But really that is only to clean the sea salt that will obviously build up as a cruise continues. On that cruise I never used it as, although a Canaries cruise, the weather was not that warm/hot and I was too busy enjoying the ship to look that closely. It is a lovely ship but I did long for those P&O evening meals that some people describe as school dinners. Since Covid I do agree there are so many cut backs but I have enjoyed the evening meals more on P&O than RCL/Princess and MSC. But then I liked school dinners and I like Wetherspoons so I not someone to follow 🙂

Maybe the Lesser-Spotted Pubefish breached the water and ended off on your balcony, but managed to get itself back into the water again... I imagine all that flopping would have dislodged a fair few. Either that or the P&O Swingers Association had the cabin before you? 😯

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, MellyMoo1989 said:

Maybe the Lesser-Spotted Pubefish breached the water and ended off on your balcony, but managed to get itself back into the water again... I imagine all that flopping would have dislodged a fair few. Either that or the P&O Swingers Association had the cabin before you? 😯

Unfortunately I was in a solo balcony cabin, you couldn't swing a cat in there - let alone have space for swinging.

Posted (edited)

I noticed that my cabin on Azura was a lot dirtier than my previous Cunard/Princess/Celebrity cabins. I wonder if that is because they only service cabins once per day now? Unlike a hotel, people spend a lot of time in their cruise cabin so I think the evening clean allows the steward to smarten things up.

Notably, on my recent Caribbean Princess cruise, the cabin steward cleaned the non essential things in the evening (balcony, mirrors etc) whilst focusing on the essentials (bed, bathroom, floor, bin) in the morning.

Edited by Tomcruise92

14 hours ago, Tomcruise92 said:

I noticed that my cabin on Azura was a lot dirtier than my previous Cunard/Princess/Celebrity cabins. I wonder if that is because they only service cabins once per day now? Unlike a hotel, people spend a lot of time in their cruise cabin so I think the evening clean allows the steward to smarten things up.

Notably, on my recent Caribbean Princess cruise, the cabin steward cleaned the non essential things in the evening (balcony, mirrors etc) whilst focusing on the essentials (bed, bathroom, floor, bin) in the morning.

P&o like the cabin staff to clean cabins ASAP before they are redeployed to other

parts of the ship assisting waiters etc . 

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

P&o like the cabin staff to clean cabins ASAP before they are redeployed to other

parts of the ship assisting waiters etc . 

Sure, I noticed how my cabin steward worked in the MDR in the evening. But my point is on other lines with a twice daily service (like P&O used to have) you likely get a more thorough clean of the cabin, as they have more time and are not dispersed throughout the ship in the evenings. 

1 minute ago, Tomcruise92 said:

Sure, I noticed how my cabin steward worked in the MDR in the evening. But my point is on other lines with a twice daily service (like P&O used to have) you likely get a more thorough clean of the cabin, as they have more time and are not dispersed throughout the ship in the evenings. 

The evening turn down service never involved any major cleaning, mainly stocking up the tea and coffee, replacing used beakers and teaspoons, emptying the bins and replacing or re-folding any used towels and a quick flick round the bathroom, then drawing the blinds and fixing the lights, along with the main item of popping a choccy on your pillow.

• Like 1