April 2nd Westerdam - Any last minute tips?

JoshFink

So I'm sailing out on my first cruise on April 2nd with my wife for our honeymoon. Should be a great time. Being the perpetual worrier that I am I know I'm forgetting something.

I think I have all my clothes packed and ready to go. I've got 2 suits which I think should cover the formal/informal nights . Again, what is the dress for the casual nights? To me casual is jeans and a t-shirt but I know that's not the case here.

Any thing I should do immediately when I get on the ship? Book any kind of reservation? I've heard of people booking dinner in the Pinnacle (I think it was the Pinnacle). Do I want to do this? :D Tons of questions, I know.

Any worries about grabbing a chair at the pool when on days at sea? How early, if they do, do they fill up?

Just looking for your general tips I guess.

Thanks

Josh

Congratulations on your marriage. Go, relax and enjoy the Westerdam. I would highly recommend reservations at the Pinnacle. You can do this ahead of time by calling Ships Service or book it when you board.

Casual night you can wear a nice pair of trousers and a polo shirt, that's acceptable, but your right, no jeans in the dining room at night.

Some reason this was put above your post, weird.

================

Thank You.. We couldn't be happier.

What is the advantage of booking the pinnacle? I mean, why book it over the regular dining room? Is is the food, the atmosphere?

Thanks

Josh

========================

I have eaten at the Pinnacle the last few times while onboard and have been very happy there. Its an option and I find the food to be excellent, not that I haven't been happy in the main dining room. Yes, its a bit of the atmosphere, the food, just the whole evening, for me anyways. It does cost $20 per person, plus a tip, but I have always found it to be a very nice evening.

Another question I just thought of.

What's up with the luggage? Do we check our luggage and they bring it to the room? My wife wants to bring the laptop, go figure.. :D I'm assuming that I can just carry this around with me and when we're allowed to our rooms put it in there. Is that correct?

How long from when we board to when we can go to our rooms?

Thanks

Josh

When you arrive at the pier, you will give your luggage to the porters there and they will insure that it gets to your cabin. I always keep any valuables with me until I can get into my cabin and secure them.

Embarkation usually begins around 11:30 a.m. You will board the ship and be asked to go to the Lido where there will be a nice buffet lunch for you. There will be an announcement around 1 pm or so that your cabins are ready and then you may go to your cabin.

Any other questions, please just ask away.

What is this - a shirt and tie, nice slacks? Is a jacket part of the outfit for men?

For women it's easier, I think, because we tend to "dress" anyway ;)

As for luggage, Josh - my answer is from my experiences sailing of Princess:

Check all of your bags but a carry on.

You will want to carry on the bag with any Rx, electronics, valuables and anything you might need or want prior to your bag being delivered to your room (could be two-three hours). If you are planning on boarding early and going to the pool or hot-tub, then pack bathing suits and sunscreen in your carry on bag. :D

I just saw doone's reply - so thanks doone! How about the semi-formal and casual night clothing issue? Casual I've got as khakis and a golf shirt, but my experience is on Princess and they do not have semi-formal nights, so need a little clarification.

And CONGRATS on your marriage!

One more question. How do we know which berth our ship will be leaving from? Also, how close is the parking? Right there or do we need to walk a bit? Can we drop off the luggage and then park the car?

Thanks

The Westerdam was at Pier 26 for our cruise. Parking is across the street. You can drop your bags off (someone needs to stay with them) while you park. It is $12/day. It's all very easy to do.

Hi,

We will be on the cruise also. You can book the Pinnacle the first night for half price. Jeans are not allowed in the dining room for dinner. At sea days you need to be out by 10 A.M. to get a nice chair, but there is always chairs available. I like the aft pool to sit at during the day. Do you play trivia?

Hi,

We will be on the cruise also. You can book the Pinnacle the first night for half price. Jeans are not allowed in the dining room for dinner. At sea days you need to be out by 10 A.M. to get a nice chair, but there is always chairs available. I like the aft pool to sit at during the day. Do you play trivia?

Thanks for the tips..

Yeah, we like trivia. Why do they have trivia onboard?

Josh

"Thanks for the tips..

Yeah, we like trivia. Why do they have trivia onboard?

Josh"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of us love to play trivia to pass the time away, especially on sea days. They even gave small prizes on my last HAL cruise in Nov.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Question for doone: Doesn't the $20. for the Pinnacle Grill include the tip?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy your cruise Josh!! Deb C.

One of the best things I've ever seen posted on here regarding your question was, 'HIT THE SHIP RUNNING!"

It's true...............if you can explore the entire ship as soon as possible

and if you learn to use the newsletter that comes each evening telling you the next day's activities, times in port, etc. you won't waste time deciding if you want to "do something" or just sit and "be" for a while.

Especially if it's a seven day cruise............you need to know the ship.

Sometimes you don't learn about a place or event until near the end of the cruise if you're not "heads up."

In your carry-on, tuck something "nicer" for dinner..........especially if you travel in athletic clothes and tennies because sometimes your luggage doesn't get delivered until after your time to be at dinner.

AND, be up on top when the ship is leaving.

HAVE A MARVELOUS TIME.................nothing like a cruise!!;)

Archived